API-SE or higher for Yamaha EF2000is generator (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owner's manual for my new Yamaha EF2000is generator recommends "API-SE or higher"

Why recommend an obsolete oil in a newer generator?

Or is there still an SE rated oil being sold

Do these inverter generators have different demands on their oil than cars?

Like SteveS said, they're setting the floor not the ceiling. Just use a decent HDEO. And, yes, they do have different demands on their oil than cars. They are much harder on the oil.

You can use Yamaha's branded bike oil or M1 HM - both are SL rated. Or you can use an HDEO like Delo, Delvac or Rotella.

shoot, HD oils may be overkill for this engine. I would stick with a syn if for no other reason than it's a $1000 machine. if it's like the eu2000i honda, it can run quite cool under light load and quite hot under heavy load. the fan on the honda moves serious CFM. I'd want a syn in there for that.

Syntec and PP have done well. it specs 5-30 but I run 10-30 in it, and it comes out with some fuel smell but still translucent after 80 hrs or so.

M

The other thing to consider is: When does your power go out most often?
a) When the daytime high is 113F
b) When it's raining and sub-40F

Put a weight of oil in that the manual suggests for the temperature you expect to need it in.
I think I put M1 in my generators, but they don't take much oil so it doesn't kill your pocketbook either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back