Auto industry complaints. Vent yours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is some stuff that bothers me.
Feel free to list your own.

1. Toyota making NEW engines that burns oil. I just read some TSB from Toyota, the ring design may lead to excessive oil burning, the solution involves re-design of the rings.
We've had how many years to perfect this technology?! Also, Toyota you've made engines that NEVER burn oil, maybe next time you don't need to re-invent the wheel.

1B. The Tremec 3650 transmission. Again, Tremec, you've had years to perfect the transmission?!Grinding and clunking with 10K miles? Really?!

1C&D. Direct injection and CVT transmissions in general-

2. Doors on cars that do that annoying sag/dip after a few years of use.

3. The dying Manual transmission. I don't care that your double clutch can shift .00023 seconds faster!! And don't even try to pass off that AUTO transmission with the "sport shift" feature...uggg. Let me enjoy the skill and control of using three pedals. Nissan GT-R, I'm talking to you...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: needsducktape

3. The dying Manual transmission. I don't care that your double clutch can shift .00023 seconds faster!! And don't even try to pass off that AUTO transmission with the "sport shift" feature...uggg. Let me enjoy the skill and control of using three pedals. Nissan GT-R, I'm talking to you...

As much as it pains me, too, I think this is driven by consumer demand. Fewer and fewer people care to mess around with a clutch in their car, at least here in the US, so the manufacturers just stop offering them.

The first car a/c was built in 1939.(manufacturer installed)
All these years later i still get plugged a/c drains in just about every car i have owned.Why use a rubber hose to drain it when a stainless tube would be great to suck the dirt out?

It seems like the European cars are the last to hang onto true manuals. I can remember when I had little trouble finding an Accord with a 5 speed. Not so much now.

manuals aren't sold here because, simply put, people don't buy them. everyone talks the talk online but when it comes time to buy they always spring for the slushbox!

How about a car door weatherstripping that doesn't freeze to the frame, and that doesn't dribble a shower on my seat when I open the door in bad weather?

How about ridiculously styled plastic headlights that yellow and give weak, diffuse light after a few years? Chevy Venture, I'm talking to you!

How about Ford discontinuing parts only six years after they sell a new vehicle...
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
How about Ford discontinuing parts only six years after they sell a new vehicle...
mad.gif

I'm a Bullitt owner, I know all about discontinued Ford parts...

How about being a little different??? why does it seem like every Gm vehicles interior has been total [censored] for the last 5 years..

And the whole re badging thing... do they really think were that retarded? be more original I GUARANTEE you will sell more cars.

General Motors knowing about the V6 intake gaskets and the leaking oil lines that plagued S-10's for YEARS....it will be a long time before I can look at another GM. And GM is all ever drove for my first 17 years on the road.

I work in the power equipment repair industry, so the auto industry seems to be very on top of their stuff compared to what I see all day (lots of blatant stupidity and horrible engineering).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: needsducktape

As much as it pains me, too, I think this is driven by consumer demand. Fewer and fewer people care to mess around with a clutch in their car, at least here in the US, so the manufacturers just stop offering them.

Could be that some of the later Japanese manuals are so lousy.
Back in the day, a Honda came with a light and very positive rod shifter.
Starting sometime in the early 'nineties, Honda started using a cable shifter, which is both heavier and less direct.
It may not just be buyer preference, but the degradation in the shift quality of some manuals.
Both of our now old Accords are sticks, with cable shifters, and they are nothing like as pleasant as the rod shifters we had in earlier Hondas.
A stick is just so much more satisfying to drive than a slushbox, it is a shame that no manufacturer really promotes them in the US any longer, and that many no longer see fit to offer a proper shifter.

Newer engine compartments that are purposely non-serviceable...too compact and/or poor space layout.In the same space,all basic mech. and maint. should be buyer/user friendly.I know they only want dealer techs to touch the engine,but every buyer is stiffed once the warranty runs out.Then it becomes a 'throwaway' car with most regular people (not us Bitogers),of course perpetuating once again...new car sales.Next ...Doors.In most 2d coupes they're big enough but they hinge a little forward of your knee,and you can't open the door any wider because somebody parked right up next to you so you have to pull a contortionist act to get in.4d aren't quite so bad.Next...deep dashboard intrusion ,total waste of space .In most vehicles, the waste of interior space is ridiculous.The only vehicle (that I've seen anyway)that doesent do this is the Honda Ridgeline, good for you Honda.Don't even get me started on the industry as a whole.

I agree with FL_Rob. Whatever happened to making a vehicle that was easy to work on in a your own garage? Not everything has to be computer controlled, if there is a problem with a tranny I do not want to know that it simply needed a software update ('08 Sebring).

What about having a functioning PCV system (Dodge 4.7l V8). I do not see how an engine today can be "sludge prone", this term should made obsolete with engines of today.

Let us not forget about cosmetic stuff also, plastic should be used to protect the materials used in our cabins during transport, plastic should not however be our cabin materials.

Badges that fade and rip off (Ford).

Fake chrome rims...actually I think they are alright most of the time, much easier to maintain for the average Joe.

In an automatic, why does there need to be a 2 second lag when I floor the pedal and when the throttle actually opens up.

Warranties, how does a new owner make the car any less reliable then it was with the original owner. Also, if you are going to force consumers to follow your warranty requirements then the manufacturers should be forced to provide the services needed to maintain that warranty free of labor charge. I'll be willing to pay the increased markup on parts but pay your worker $50 an hour to provide me with what you require is non-sense.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
How about being a little different??? why does it seem like every Gm vehicles interior has been total [censored] for the last 5 years..

I guess you missed the current Cadillac CTS (2008+), the current Malibu, the new Regal, Lacrosse and Cruze....etc.. All have great interiors that have even been noticed by the car magazines.

I have to say they have improved. I drove a 1.4 Turbo Cruise in the past 6 weeks. It was very nice and quiet inside. It seemed well buttoned up.

The numb electric power steering soured me on the car. I expected a little more zoom from the turbocharged engine, but it was adequate.

I liked the Mazda 3 better. I really don't think they are targeted and the same buyers. I ended up with a used Protege5.

But I think GM is moving in the right direction with the Cruise, interior included. Just get the power steering worked out and add some more zoom zoom and it would be a car I'd like to use for work everyday.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: Brenden

I guess you missed the current Cadillac CTS (2008+), the current Malibu, the new Regal, Lacrosse and Cruze....etc.. All have great interiors that have even been noticed by the car magazines.

How about nobody making a small truck that is a small truck?

I was looking at a new Frontier Crew Longbed in the shop the other day and I swear it was longer than the '83 C10 LWB (reg cab) parked next to it.

I think the Colorado/Canyon may be the last "small" small truck. and it comes with a 4 cylinder that is as big and thirsty as many sixes. And it's slow.

Maybe we should take the small truck off the "Chicken Tax". (I still don't know how Ford gets around the Chicken Tax with the Transit Connect)

I would really like some honesty from the manufacturers when it comes to their problem children.

Ford's brittle blend doors, Chrysler's sludged 2.7
s, Subaru's head gaskets, etc. Just be honest and say, "Yeah, that's a problem and you're stuck with it becuase you're out of warranty." Don't lie to me and tell me you never heard of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back