Snapper self-propelled mowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I never realized the higher-end Snapper 21" mowers use a friction disk drive system for the RWD self propel?

It seems this system has been around for decades, so I assume it's a success on this setup? Does anyone have experience with these push mowers?

I know they're wonderful baggers, but wonder how they mulch when bought as a mulcher with the "ninja" blade?

http://www.snapper.com/push-mowers/Commercial Mowers/

Joel

Ariens has used a friction disc system for a few decades as well. It's great. Yes, you will eventually have to replace it, but it's cheaper then a whole new transmission.

When I used one years ago,it was a commercial 21in. very good machine .If they've kept quality up,its a fair investment.After all,those are thirty year mowers.The cup holder is a real hoot,too!

Great system. Vibrates, but that's the nature of the beast. The newer Toro rear wheel drives are going the way of the front wheel drive ones. Transmissions aren't good for the long haul. What a shame. Snapper (which doesn't get all the hype it deserves) moves way past Toro based on the three bad trannys this month on Toros. I hate that I recommended Toro so much the past two years. My recommendation from now on will be second tier Hondas, Snapper, and Ariens if people can get a second mortgage to buy one.

Good to know. It's hard to justify the high price given they have a steel deck. I generally flip them on their side and scrape the underside after every use anyway, but still, it should be a cast aluminum deck for the price.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
I never realized the higher-end Snapper 21" mowers use a friction disk drive system for the RWD self propel?

It seems this system has been around for decades, so I assume it's a success on this setup? Does anyone have experience with these push mowers?

I've had a Hi-Vac since 1994, with a Kawasaki engine, using it at home only. It's been great. I haven't rebuilt the drive yet. It's not as positive as it once was but not bad enough to put on the new rubber doughnut I bought for it.

The deck is heavy steel, so not as light as something you'll find in Sam's Club.

I wore the tread off both front wheels so a couple of years ago I bought new, generic ones. New bag about that time too.

I know they're wonderful baggers, but wonder how they mulch when bought as a mulcher with the "ninja" blade?

I have no experience with the mulching blade.

I just bought a 22" Snapper front drive mower from Sears a couple months back and have put about 10hrs of use on it so far and it is doing just fine.

You wont find a tin deck fwd anything for sale in our dealership.
The top flight snappers use a planetary drive limited slip differential, and are the only mowers that allow you to self propel while turning in a zero radius.

All of the drive system components can, at a later date, be upgraded the the commercial ones.

There are lots of tricks to repairing and maintaining the Snapper drive system. Too many to type up.

Over all I really like the HiVac mowers.

Yes, The differential is run by the belt that is run by the drive disk that is run by the belt that is run by the crank shaft pulley.(exhale)

It depends on what your going for.

If your looking for the smallest possible clipping debris, the hivac with a ninja(has 6 cutting sides) blade cant be beat. However it has the potential to tax the engine to its limit due to the loading of the mower deck with grass. The grass must pass through the blade to exit the deck because of the rolled lip.

Solution: get the larger engines if you have thick turf.

If your looking for a mower, and you don't want to bag, and you don't want side discharge, but you don't want any bogging what so ever, then you go for the mulching deck with the lightest/lowest lift blade available.

I mostly mulch. But sometimes have to bag (leaves,grass too long...)

Your thoughts on a Snapper Ninja RP 21875 ?

Many Thanks to you (and other BITOG'ers)

Interesting stuff. Thanks 660. As much as I'm intrigued by this drive system, it sounds like a lot of mechanical mayhem!

That Ninja blade looks crazy. Can that thing be sharpened? I couldn't imagine whacking an un-mulchable object with that sucker. kaBOOOM.. clunk..clunk.

Joel

Yes, it can be sharpened many many times.

The rp21875 is not my firs choice, but is still a good deal.
I like the p21875b. The hivac deck is the best bagger out there hands down. Especially withe the hivac blade, and the rp21875 is merely only as good as other bagging mower designs.
The p21875b comes with a ninja blade and the larger engine. Really is a better machine. It's all about the deck, blade, and strong engine together that make it such a good thing. The mulching deck can also leave some clippings on top of the turf. The Hivac is better about that.
The only advantage I see to the "mulching deck" is that it's not as hard for a weaker engine to "keep up" when your in the heavy stuff and wanting to go fast while mulching.

Interesting stuff. Thanks 660. As much as I'm intrigued by this drive system, it sounds like a lot of mechanical mayhem!

That Ninja blade looks crazy. Can that thing be sharpened? I couldn't imagine whacking an un-mulchable object with that sucker. kaBOOOM.. clunk..clunk.

Joel

About the kaBOOOM. The kaBOOM is never good.
Watched a new guy, right in front of me, stick his hand under a running mower. Almost puked. It was by far the worst carnage I've ever seen. He had to have 3 of his fingers amputated at the first knuckle. I'm the one who cleaned up the mess. Moved the mower, and there set one of his digies. Almost puked again when I saw that... Almost puked again just thinking about it.
And no it wasn't a snapper mower.

Good GAWD! Is that dude still in the OPE business!??! Apparently he wasn't 'cut-out' for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back