General Grabber HTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I'm officially down to the wear bars on my '08 Nissan Frontier. The OEM Radial Long Trails went 52K, so no complaints here...

Anyway - I'm looking at reviews on Discount Tire and Tire Rack and see the Grabber HTS come up as a pretty well reviewed tire. But there do seem to be a decent number of reviews that blast the treadwear. Has anyone had any experience with these tires at all?

I'm predominantly highway driving, with snow/ice in the winter.

Thanks!

I had these as OEM on a 2003 Tahoe 4x4; the tread life was woefully pathetic. I think I managed 20K miles and I did not drive them hard and rotated and balanced every 6K miles.

I pulled them at 21K and installed a set of Yokohama HTS; great tire at a good price. Perhaps the General tires have improved through the years?

Hope this helps!

I have those as "Summer tires" on my Jeep Cherokee", Cant comment on the threadwear as they are only 2k old but they have been very good in the rain.

I intend to Use them only for as a summer tire, as I have a set of General Altimax Arctic's for the winter.

They are made in Mexico, The Altimax's are made in Germany.

Priced well, And if I get 3-4 seasons outta them im ok.

Last edited:
Put some on the wife's Escape. Love the tires but it looks like we will only get 30-40k out of em. Otherwise, great tire. Quiet, good snow and rain traction and look good. I would buy them again.

Last time I was looking for my truck it was between the Grabber and the Yoko Geolander HTS. Went with the HTS because it was significantly less expensive with a rebate at DT. Very satisfied so far with my choice but would have no problem with the Generals.

Grabber now has a $50 Visa debit card rebate with purchase. If you're thinking of getting them from DT, do your price homework online (check TR and Treadepot etc.) include delivery of course. Don't know about the Grabber, but Gen's are not generally a featured/stocked brand at DT, but I got a great deal on a set of Altimax HT's (non stocked) with a price match, also had the $50 rebate card at that time. Had the tires in store in 2 days.

Originally Posted By: greystone
Put some on the wife's Escape. Love the tires but it looks like we will only get 30-40k out of em. Otherwise, great tire. Quiet, good snow and rain traction and look good. I would buy them again.

+1

People seem to like them (new neighbor has them on her Marnier) but they just don't make it to the warranty...

Installed some on my companies Explorers. Good tire, but wear mileage IMO will not be close to what they claim (60,000 miles). With alignments good and rotation and balancing, 35,000 to 40,000 is about it from my experience on the Explorers. A lot of highway, some town and some dirt roads. DT is very good with mileage adjustments..

I put new tires on my '07 Frontier last winter, and strongly considered the Generals. But reviews complaining about noise after a few miles and treadwear scared me off.

I went Michelin Latitude Tours as my wife drives it most of the time and the truck is never off road. So far very happy with our decision.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I had these as OEM on a 2003 Tahoe 4x4; the tread life was woefully pathetic. I think I managed 20K miles and I did not drive them hard and rotated and balanced every 6K miles.

I pulled them at 21K and installed a set of Yokohama HTS; great tire at a good price. Perhaps the General tires have improved through the years?

Hope this helps!

You must have had a different Grabber model. General has used the Grabber name before. The HTS isn't old enough to have been used in 2003. It 1st arrived around 2007+/-.

Originally Posted By: TWG1572
Hello! I'm officially down to the wear bars on my '08 Nissan Frontier. The OEM Radial Long Trails went 52K, so no complaints here...

Anyway - I'm looking at reviews on Discount Tire and Tire Rack and see the Grabber HTS come up as a pretty well reviewed tire. But there do seem to be a decent number of reviews that blast the treadwear. Has anyone had any experience with these tires at all?

I'm predominantly highway driving, with snow/ice in the winter.

Thanks!

The Grabber HTS is a decent tire but I have talked to people who have experienced the poor treadwear issue they are becoming infamous for as time goes on. They seem to only be a 30-40K tire for many people. Still, overall a good tire for a reasonable price. You could spend a lot more and do much worse.

I would suggest you check out the Firestone Destination LE. Similar price range as the HTS. I have had the LE's on 3 vehicles( 2 4WD trucks and 1 AWD SUV )and they have been some of the best tires I have ever owned. I no longer bother buying AT's as these handle anything I ask of them.

Our winters here in NH will be as bad as yours so I can tell you with complete confidence they will handle the bad weather great. I also duck hunt and tow/launch my boat into the middle of February each year. That means some pretty nasty boat ramps due to snow and ice. They handle it great.

Good ride, quiet, excellent treadwear, exceptional bad weather performance( for an AS tire ), and affordable. Consider the LE in your search.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think it pretty much confirms what I suspected - they are a good tire but don't run quite as far as advertised..

I'll take a look at the the other tires mentioned. My other option is to bite the bullet and buy some LTX M/S with a $70 off coupon at Costco. At $180 per tire, they are about $40 more expensive - but I have a pretty good idea they will run the 60K miles as advertised..

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Hope this helps!

You must have had a different Grabber model. General has used the Grabber name before. The HTS isn't old enough to have been used in 2003. It 1st arrived around 2007+/-.

Could be--that was a few vehicles and sets of tires ago; but in any event (based upon comments here) they do not seem to have improved much from 2003 until now...
crazy.gif

Well , I have them on my 2003 Chevy Silverado 4x4. Put them on at 42k and now at 52k they look like they are 1/2 gone!!
Good riding tire , low noise, great in rain and snow ,even wear pattern ,( ran at 39lbs air pressure / 35 psi in winter) but they are gonna be "iffy" for this coming winter by the looks of them.....geeeeesh. I rotated them at 6 k miles too.
Nope....I would not buy the HTS Grabbers again.
BOB in PA.

Based on Consumer Report's tests and other reviews, I put these on my ex SAAB 9-7x which is essentially an AWD Trailblazer in drag.

Early on they were great for three seasons and adequate in the winter. They were very quiet, rode, braked and handled well for an SUV tire. Observed mileage was unchanged from the OE Dunlop's.

Tread-wear was somewhat faster then I expected although not excessive. But, after 25k miles or so their winter performance really declined to the point where the vehicle was stuck in our driveway twice this winter. Admittedly, we have a steep driveway, the 9-7X doesn't have the best AWD system (it is actually rather crude) and this was an unusually bad winter, but our other AWD cars (BMW & SAAB 9-3x) were able to get out.

If you have to deal with moderate or worse snow, I'd look elsewhere; Bridgestone, Michelin, etc. If not, the HTS's are fine for the money.

I had a few good years with the LTX M/S's on an older Grand Cherokee. Significantly bigger $, but you won't go wrong.

w

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back