Mercedes slk 230, overfilled oil slightly, bad??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

My wifes "surprise" finally arrived from its 9 week trip from Alberta.

I did an oil change on it, and according to the book it takes 5.5 litres of oil. I used the whole 6 litres. As far as I can tell its right on the full mark on the stick after sitting for a few minutes. I'm completely parranoid to overfill, because right on the cap it says "DO NOT FILL PAST THE MAXIMUM MARK, OR ENGINE DAMAGE MAY OCCUR" or something nasty like that.

Engine damage would not be cheap. Its going to the shop for cert tomorrow, Im just wondering if anyone else with the 2.3 litre kompressor engine does their own changes, and what their capacity is. The car may have an external cooler, but I couldnt see one.

any thoughts? I stopped at 5.5 litres, and it looked to be half way between low and full. Is that the happy spot on a Merc?

Thanks,

Ryan

Last edited:
Sleep well at night...
sleep.gif

Does the manual state 5.5L, incl filter? Regardless, would you have been satisfied adding 5.5L and leaving it indicating halfway between L and F on the dipstick?

Double check if it is qts or liters!

With a good drain , I'd go with the proper amount, NOT the dipstick.
Check vehicle specific car forums for what they might have to add.

Read closer. Some manuals will include the fill excluding the filter, some including the filter.....

If you're extremely paranoid, just empty out the oil filter tomorrow morning...? That is, if it's a spin-on....

I've always been one to "under fill" - partly due to my (grand)father(s) technique, the fact that not "all" oil is completely emptied out of the crankcase, he always recommended adding about a quart less than what the book specs, then crank up the car, let it sit for a minute, turn it off, wait a good 30 seconds for the oil to drain back to the pan, then re-check the oil level. As long as the oil level is BETWEEN the "full" and "add" marks, you are "in the clear"
smile.gif
Then check the oil level every other gas-up.

Hi guys,

its in litres. The manual states 5.5 litres, but Ive heard guys use 6 approx.

I would rather see it at the max level, some sticks are tough to read, but I think its right on the dot or slightly below.

Its just wierd that it only states 5.5 litres. Im parranoid, MB just seems really picky about maintenance.

I'd just go ahead and use six anyhow. I don't even remember what my manual says to use - I just dump in somewhere in the neighborhood of five quarts and call it a day.

Yeah, my '00 MB E430 manual states the same message "DO NOT FILL PAST THE MAXIMUM MARK, OR ENGINE DAMAGE MAY OCCUR". The sump of E430 is 8.5 quarts and I always fill 8 quarts when I changed the oil with Mityvac, it will be about 1/8" below maximum mark. When I change my oil the first time, after 4 free oil changes at dealer, I put in 8.5 quarts and the level is at full mark on the dipstick, but the computer warned about overfill. I had to use the Mityvac to extract 1/4 quarts.

Drive the car for ten or fifteen minutes. Let it sit for another fifteen minutes, then check the dip stick. If it is at "full" or just a bit more even, you're fine. If it is half a cm more than the "full" mark, then you might want to take off the filter and empty it of oil (if spin-on type). Twice if it is a small filter.

I used to always fill between the "add" and "full" mark on the dipstick. Now I go to the "full" mark. Glad I do, because in the past few months Toyota's increased a bit the recommended oil capacity in the engine I have (good timing Toyota - the engine has only been out there for 12 years!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back