Remanufactured steering gear boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been shopping around for a remanufactured steering gear box for a 1997 F150. When shopping online I see this a bunch.

"This high quality, OE replacement power steering gear box features brand new O-rings and lip seals to ensure against leakage and boasts of a cool dip finish that provides long-lasting protection against rust; 100 percent hydraulic tested for guaranteed performance."

Nowhere does it say the internal gears or bearings were replaced as I see this wording used on several sites. Does anyone know if gears and / or bearings are replaced on an as needed basis or are the gears merely readjusted and new seals installed.

I searched here and other sites to try to find and answer but came up empty handed.

I would guess that whatever failed was replaced. Considering they "dip finish" the housing I'm guessing it's completely taken apart. From there they would replace all of the seals and if any of the other internals needed to be replaced for functionality purposes they would be replaced.

I've never had or heard of a steering gear box go bad mechanically, just ones with severe leaks.

Considering how much money you're saving with a reman (and if you have an AAP near you use their discount codes for even more savings) I think it should be just fine.

Make sure you get a lifetime warranty, they can & do wear out-for example the diesel Dodge Ram 4X4s are so hard on steering boxes that an aftermarket brace is added to stop frame flex, and some of the rebuilds out there are questionable in quality at best.

Originally Posted By: Paulson

I've never had or heard of a steering gear box go bad mechanically, just ones with severe leaks.

Wow. I've only replaced 1 due to leaks. The rest were mechanical failure.

My OE steering box had the input bearing fail. This allowed 1/4 inch of slop in the input shaft. Huge leak and tons of play in the steering.

I'd call this mechanical failure.

The replacement lasted about a yr before it locked up and I was unable to turn it. Fortunatly this happened in a parking lot.

The one on my 73 Duster sprung a leak from the input seal.

I am in the middle of a labor reimbursement claim with AA and Fenco.
2 DOA racks in a row,there was a huge difference in quality between all three.
I also replaced the pump because it was damaged by metal debris,again the first one had a bad knock when warm,cold it was quiet.

I always used Delco rebuilds with no problems but i needed a steering box quick and bought one of these.
Never again,it turned out to be the most expensive box i ever bought.

I would prefer a good used one to one of these Fenco or Cardone rehashed units if Delco was not available.
Check with Ford they may have rebuilt units also.

I installed a rebuild in my MB once. Seemed fine and got rid ofthe excess play existing in that style box. I wastold that the parts were inspected and worn items replaced.

I picked one up for my jeep about a year and a half ago from Autozone. Forgot the brand, was remaned in AZ, long story short the thing is leaking grease big time. I am just going to use it till it dies them warranty it.

Thanks for the input everyone. I have heard most of your discount chain auto parts stores use A1 Cardone. I don't know much about them, but I will also check out Red Head. Thanks adamrc. Reputation means a lot.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Make sure you get a lifetime warranty, they can & do wear out-for example the diesel Dodge Ram 4X4s are so hard on steering boxes that an aftermarket brace is added to stop frame flex, and some of the rebuilds out there are questionable in quality at best.

And my neighbor's son had to wait 6 weeks for Chrysler to finally supply one for his Ram 3/4 ton 4x4.

the cardone steering box's are pretty decent, rarely see any come back. Usually when the guy hammers on it to get the pitman put back on they end up bashing the seal and blame the unit.

AZ's brand used to be Fenco, I'm sure the duralast brand is lower quality.

hthe boxes for the Ram 4x4's is a pain to get! Cardone usually tells us they're send in and rebuild only. they're very hard to come by and not exactly cheap. Nobody has yet to want to try and rebuild it themselves, a Gates rebuild kit (seals mainly) runs like $40.

As for AC Delco.. they didn't do anything but stick their name on the box.. but whoever rebuilds for them does it right.

And... lifetime warranty doesn't means squat if you have to keep replaceing the unit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back