Prius Axle Seal Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, I took my friend's 2006 Prius w/85k to the local Toyota dealer for scheduled maintenance. On the agenda for this visit was an oil change, vehicle inspection, clean/adjust of rear drum brakes and a transmission fluid drain and refill. They did give me a very fair price on the service, which is $140 total for all 3 items. During the inspection, they found a LF axle seal leak, which is said to be common according to the Priuschat gurus.

The Toyota CPO warranty is covering the axle seal repair after the $50 deductible. For the repair, the warranty is covering the labor, axle seal, axle nut, cotter pin, and 1 quart of WS transmission fluid for top-off. According to Toyota, it is not necessary to drain the fluid in order to replace the axle seal. Therefore, my requested transmission service is an entirely separate operation and there is no crossover on the labor time.

Having replaced an axle seal before, it is true in most cases that the transmission fluid does not need to be drained in order to remove the axle. However, I would have expected that since the tech needs to remove the fill plug in order to check the fluid level, they would not charge me labor to drain the fluid (one drain plug!) while they are doing the job. Am I expecting too much? Or is this just how the system works in that they can get away with charging for the 1/2 hr labor to complete the transmission service.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Since you just got an ATF change why get another? If the seal is above the fluid level they'll just yank it out and if any dribbles out, no big deal, top it off.

Your question is opaque. It's going back in on another day for this seal, right?

Anyway, you won't get credit for labor to remove or not remove one drain plug. That would be like rolling in with two lugnuts loose and demanding 50 cents off.

No, the car is at the dealer right now. While the transmission fluid was draining they noticed the axle seal leak. So I went ahead and authorized the repair; at this point the transmission hasn't been refilled yet.

Some axle designs use the transmission oil to lube the outer bearings. This requires the fluid level to be lowered in order to replace a seal and or bearing.

I know on some Toyota models the diff fluid is separate from the transmission with is own fill and drain plug.Could this be the case with this one?

Nope the dealer is legit in charging u the half hour for the trans flush

Originally Posted By: Trav
I know on some Toyota models the diff fluid is separate from the transmission with is own fill and drain plug.Could this be the case with this one?

Not the case this time.

The advisor discounted the trans service labor by $25, which brought the labor down to $37.50. They also charged me wholesale price for the fluid.

So, the cost of the trans service was about $58. Not bad.

Thats a Good service writer
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
If an axle seal is leaking, then its not really a seal is it??
laugh.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Of course, less than a month later, I find the engine water pump leaking. The backside of the water pump pulley is cruddy with pink coolant residue.

Although it is a common problem on the Prius, it sucks that the dealer will have to submit a new warranty claim for the water pump which means there will be another $50 deductible. I am going to see if they can goodwill that. Any tips?

Goodwill it? Maybe I am missing something but it's a month after the other warranty work was done and not related to it in anyway.

As for the tranny fluid change and weather or not you should of had to pay or not after the seal change. Yes it is one drain/fill plug but to check the fluid you don't have to take the drain plug out, so all the fluid doesn't come out. There is a set screw in the drain plug you take out and just pump fluid in till it spills out. To drain/fill you have to take the whole drain plug out and let it drain and then put drain plug back in and then take set screw out and fill until spills out. Two seperate procedures, the only thing in common is taking the set screw out to check the fluid level.

If it was me I would pay the 50 bucks, its for a totally non related repair.

Originally Posted By: scott37300
Goodwill it? Maybe I am missing something but it's a month after the other warranty work was done and not related to it in anyway.

As for the tranny fluid change and weather or not you should of had to pay or not after the seal change. Yes it is one drain/fill plug but to check the fluid you don't have to take the drain plug out, so all the fluid doesn't come out. There is a set screw in the drain plug you take out and just pump fluid in till it spills out. To drain/fill you have to take the whole drain plug out and let it drain and then put drain plug back in and then take set screw out and fill until spills out. Two seperate procedures, the only thing in common is taking the set screw out to check the fluid level.

If it was me I would pay the 50 bucks, its for a totally non related repair.

It's called a goodwill gesture for customer satisfaction. Lexus and other brands are fairly generous would this type of stuff, just to keep a customer happy. Whenever there are repairs so close to each other in situations like this, customers will raise questions of "why wasn't this noticed" when the car was last in for a service.

Anyway, the Prius trans is not like the Tacoma or other stepped gear transmissions where there is the combo drain and fill plug. The Prius trans is serviced like a differential-- there is a drain plug and a fill plug.

The CriticIt's called a goodwill gesture for customer satisfaction. Lexus and other brands are fairly generous would this type of stuff said:
Even if it's like a differential it's the same concept, to check the level they don't have to drain and fill it.

In my opinion if the new problem was related to what you took it in for then yes I would complain about having to pay the 50 bucks again. Since this isn't related in any way I would pay the 50 bucks again. Maybe I'm wrong but from this post you seem like someone that wants everything for free, maybe I'm wrong since this is just a post on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back