Best String Trimmer Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was googling for leads on .080" trimmer line for my Stihl string trimmer, and I came across this usefull "best-12-string-trimmer-lines" link:

http://blog.consumerpla.net/2010/07/best-12-string-trimmer-lines-review.html

They ranked the round, green Stihl Premium line, that I have been using, as #3 overall. My only "complaint" about this line is that it does not seem very durable against all the stone edging in my yard. But then again, maybe no line can stand up well to stone.
21.gif

They sell that .080 sthil in a quiet version, much lower db. coming off the head.
There is an after market co. called Oregon that makes all kinds of after market parts for ope. They have a house brand called Gator, and it also comes in a quiet version.
I ran ope 6hrs a day for years, and got to a point that I could not stand how loud equipment was. I looked all over the market for things to help in that area.
"Nylium® Starline® from OREGON® is a premium co-polymer
trimmer line with state-of-the-art features that make it one of the best-performing brands of trimmer line available today".
^ is off Oregonchain.com. It has aluminum impregnated in the line and is one of the toughest I've used.

0.80 is not easy to make tough.

What model trimmer do you own?

Last edited:
I have the Stihl FS45C. I wear hearing protection when mowing and trimming my lawn, so noise is not an issue.

Originally Posted By: 660mag
"Nylium® Starline® from OREGON® is a premium co-polymer
trimmer line with state-of-the-art features that make it one of the best-performing brands of trimmer line available today".
^ is off Oregonchain.com. It has aluminum impregnated in the line and is one of the toughest I've used............

Thanks for the tip on the Nylium Starline. Interesting stuff. I will try some of that. Will it feed well in the Stihl bump-head?

I never knew until today that soaking of trimmer line in water is recommended.

"Any monofilament trimmer line can lose moisture over time or become brittle, especially if subjected to heat and sunlight. To reduce brittleness, Oregon® strongly recommends that line be submerged in water for 24 hours."

As long as you stay in the .080 size, for that trimmer model, feeding should be no problem. Square line is the most jam prone line in all models, and I recommend avoiding it specifically.

The water trick works, and is also true for fishing line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back