Valvoline VR1 Synthetic datasheets updated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not posted on their site, but the customer service guys sent it to me. Current as of December 6, 2010. What strikes me immediately is that the 20w50 is API SN. No HTHS but I sent a follow-up request for it.

5w30
API SL
KV @ 100 = 10.8
KV @ 40 = 61
VI = 170
TBN = 8.5
Flash = 223 C
Pour = -42 C
CCS = 5200cP @ -30 C
MRV = 20000cP @ -35 C
NOACK = Zinc = 1100ppm
Phosphorous = 1000ppm
Calcium = 2100ppm
Sodium = 490ppm

10w30
API SL
KV @ 100 = 10.5
KV @ 40 = 64
VI = 153
TBN = 8.5
Flash = 223 C
Pour = -39 C
CCS = 5000cP @ -30 C
MRV = 15000cP @ -35 C
NOACK = Zinc = 1100ppm
Phosphorous = 1000ppm
Calcium = 2100ppm
Sodium = 490ppm

20w50
API SM/SN
KV @ 100 = 20.0
KV @ 40 = 147
VI = 154
TBN = 8.5
Flash = 230 C
Pour = -36 C
CCS = 5000cP @ -30 C
MRV = 11000cP @ -35 C
NOACK = Zinc = 1400ppm
Phosphorous = 1300ppm
Calcium = 2100ppm
Sodium = 490ppm

Last edited:
I noticed this when I went to buy oil for the P-car. Need a few more miles before I go totally synthetic. Seeing SN, scared me; and, I almost am more than curious to know if the ZDDP level is as advertised.

My question is:
1.Is this Vr1 otc or is it,,"Not Street Legal?"
2.And if this is OTC,,,doesn't it have an effect on catalytic converters.
I have always used VR1,,but when I found out that they advertised that it could be used in any vehicle I started asking questions,,,but,,at the same time,,,I have never sent it out for a NOA,,,so I don't really know,,,has anyone had a NOA performed on VR1,,and if so,,,could you post the results.I guess everyone is trying to treat their engines and at the same time,,,keep the expense down.Most all of the ZDDP oils are expensive and when I see one that is sold for a much lower price,,,I tend to be skeptical.My own personnal situation is,,I'm not that bothered be the price of the oil,,,for me,,it's more the ease of buying it.Being able to go to my parts store and pickup a good ZDDP oil is what's important.I have found all kinds of racing oil on-line,,but the shipping costs they tag on is insane.I found BraddPenn at a fairly reasonable price,,,but the shipping drove the price up so high,,,that it didn't make any sense to buy it.To me,,,,and I definately could be wrong about this,,,,for Valvoline to advertise that they have more than the legal limit of Zinc and Phosphorous than the EPA has mandated,,,falls under the heading of false advertising,,,anyway,,again,,if anyone has had a NOA performed on VR1 OTC,,I,,along with others,would greatly appreciate seeing the results.Let me just say,,,I trust everyone on this site as being honest about their findings and their degree of intelligence,,,I'm just questioning the advertising...Thanks again for any and all info

API SM/SN specs allow ZDDP levels of more than 800ppm of Phosphorous for 40 and 50-weight oils. Since the 30-weight oils are SL-spec oils, they are allowed to have up to 1000ppm P. Valvoline is not engaging in false advertising or doing anything illegal when they sell VR1 dyno or syn.

If you find any VOA's for VR1 that have been done by Blackstone, take them with a grain of salt. Blackstone's P readings are famous for being lower than the oil manufacturer's spec sheets. I believe the manufacturers in those cases.

Last edited:
Ooops... I goofed, I was running "DINO" VR1. Noticed it was SN.

I do know, that before I went back to DINO, after guesstimating I should run one or 2 more oil changes with DINO (new build on engine), I had Castrol 20w-50 synthetic, and it most definitely said on the bottle not for cars before 1993.

I am very curious to know if VR1 (both flavors) has over 1200ppm. I'd send a sample (Virgin) in, but I would rather find somebody other than the usual suspect to do the analysis.

Thanks for the info,,,it's like I said,I would never question,what anyone posts here,because I'm not really that informed when it comes to the chemistry of oil,,,actually,I depend on all of you to keep me informed.I just purchased VR1 Racing Synthetic yesterday to do my next change,and I noticed that it had a rating of SL,,,I would be curious to know what the Phos & ZDDP levels were,,just for future reference.According to Valvolines website it has a "High Concentration",,but that doesn't tell me anything,,,anyway,,,thanks again and I will keep all of you posted on whatever I find in my travels.I am looking forward to see if the synthetic has any real effect on my little circle track engine.

FYI I finally spoke to someone at Valvoline. They said if it's not on the PDS they don't have it. Also told me they typically only publish it for diesel or HDEO products...lame!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back