Valvoline VR1 10w30 in a non race car vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw in the promos page Valvoline is offering 6 qts free of the VR1 racing oil AR. My question is, can it go in my F150 since it is racing oil? Normally I would not use it, but free is free, and O'reilly's has it for 4.99/qt. Not worried about using 10w30 either, I use it now. Thanks!

no reason not to run it except the high ZDDP levels can take out your cats. the main thing about it is its anti foaming additives which are needed in a high rpm engine. the detergent levels are a little lower than other oils so i would not rec it for a long oci.

one idea would be to mix it with synpower...

How can we get it though? It says Oreilly's only carries 20w50, and I need 10w30. Autozone's price is like $49 and $52 after tax. How does that work with the $50 rebate limit?

the case will cost you $2 after rebate.

we need a uoa!! im sure everyone is going to get in on the free oil, surely one of us can get a uoa

Originally Posted By: electrolover
the case will cost you $2 after rebate.

we need a uoa!! im sure everyone is going to get in on the free oil, surely one of us can get a uoa

Gotcha!

Zinc levels in motor oil range depending on the oil and its application. As of 2010, American Petroleum Institute regulations limit zinc levels to 0.08 percent of motor oil content down from the previous 0.15 %.

We've had catalytic converters for roughly 40 years. Zinc has always been used in oil as a lubricant. CC's used to be warranted for 80,000 miles. Then someone said it should be 100,000 miles. To do this, they reduced the amount of zinc. When the racing oil says "25% more zinc than street oil" they mean it is .10% instead of .08%. A little more than current street oil, but less than you were using just a few years ago.
An engine in reasonable mechanical condition will have no trouble with racing oil. If you're not burning oil, you won't be hurting the cat.

Check the product data sheet, last I looked (couple few years ago) it said not recommended for greater than 3000 mile OCI. Not sure why, maybe because application was muscle cars? Anyway, it is great oil IMO, no starburst, lotsa ZddP!
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Check the product data sheet, last I looked (couple few years ago) it said not recommended for greater than 3000 mile OCI. Not sure why, maybe because application was muscle cars? Anyway, it is great oil IMO, no starburst, lotsa ZddP!
banana2.gif

Less detergents, racing oils aren't made for long fills since the intended application is high stress. The manufacturer is assuming its going to shear down and get replaced way before 3K.

My XJ 4.0 runs best with Rotella T5 10w30 (sold by the gallon at wally world). It doesn't make any noises and it doesn't consume any oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Saw in the promos page Valvoline is offering 6 qts free of the VR1 racing oil AR. My question is, can it go in my F150 since it is racing oil? Normally I would not use it, but free is free, and O'reilly's has it for 4.99/qt. Not worried about using 10w30 either, I use it now. Thanks!

If your F150 is under warranty, I would not use it. If your catalytic converters fail and they find high ZDDP oil in the sump, they might not honor the warranty. You could substitute 1 or 2 quarts out of 6 quarts of SL or SM oil. That would give you about 900+ ppm Zinc and Phosphorus. The racing oil has less calcium and other stuff that fights acid formation.

Note: I think if your truck burns 1 quart of SM 700ppm Zn/P oil per oil change interval, it will cause more damage to the cats than if it burned a 1/4 quart of 1350ppm Zn/P racing oil per oil change interval.

I don't think you should run the VR1 in your 2004 F150.
VR1 is such a throwback, that it is only SH rated. It has 1300ppm of Phosphorous, and will take out your cats about 60% faster than an SM oil.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I don't think you should run the VR1 in your 2004 F150.
VR1 is such a throwback, that it is only SH rated. It has 1300ppm of Phosphorous, and will take out your cats about 60% faster than an SM oil.

It's API SH?
Really?
The 10W-30 I bought this morning is rated as API SL, which should be safe in any application, and can be run for a normal OCI.
The oil does meet API SL specs, so it is safe to run in any engine not requiring SM or SN for a normal OCI.
It would not likely harm anything in a vehicle requiring SM or SN as a one-off change, either.

The case of VR1 syn that i just bought today has a SL rating. $3 after rebate for a 6 pack sweet deal.

As I mentioned in another thread, SM oil didn't come out until sometime in 2004. Your 2004 truck engine was probably built with SL in the sump. Shouldn't be a problem; and your catalytic converter won't know the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back