Oil recommendations for my Iroc-Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi eveyone,

I have a 88' Iroc-Z with a 5.0L TPI, with a 5spd. Since I've bought the car from a former co-worker, I've ran Valvoline Full Syn, and now I have QS Ultra in there. I also run Fram XG filters. I'll be changin gover to Purolator's pure-one filters as well. I also notice that the engine runs fine then kind of staggers like it'll die then fine and back again. I run 5w-30. So here goes,

1. 88' Chevrolet Camaro Iroc-z
2. n/a
3. Hawaii
4. Drive - Hard, like I stole it
smile.gif

5. Short trip - less than 15miles - minor stop and go
6. Runs a little rich, and has hesetation problems sometimes during idle...

I'd like a full synthetic, can get pretty much anything, rp, m1, qs, valv, rl, penz, etc.. I usually change oil between 3k-7k, but usually on the 3-5k side.

Thanks guys for all the help!

welcome2.gif
possible egr going bad,could be a tiny vacuum leak, fuel pressure reg or just a weak sensor..hard to say.Run quality conventional or any syn (5w30)if it helps you sleep better.Sounds like a nice ride ,I always have liked that era of Camaro...lots of character.
edit:eek:ff the shelf synthetic is alot less expensive,I just really can't see the need for an Ester based boutique oil,but thats just my
49.gif

Last edited:
I like the new Amsoil Z-rod that has come out. Very robust and very protective against corrosion - important if short trips are the norm, IMO.

Is this a DD?

3-5k you can run any of those. I personally would run M1 0w40 if you have the cash so you have something a little thicker due to hard driving and fuel dilution. Heck you could run Rotella 5w40 in that thing, cheap, robust best of both worlds. Just some thoughts.

Do you got a check engine light of any sort? Any "idiot lights" on at all? If not, go for any synthetic oil in a 5W-30....

But yea, the hesitation sounds vacuum/EGR/PCV related....check around your vacuum lines, particularly where they go into the Throttle body for possible leaks....you may hear a "whistle" or hum or sorts.....

Or if you want to be adventurous, you can shoot carb cleaner around the engine bay, looking for any noticable increase in RPMs....the RPMs will "increase" if the carb cleaner gets directed into an area with a vacuum leak
smile.gif
and you can even find some google/youtube videos of the process :p

But yea, run a standard conventional oil until you get that fixed. Once the vehicle is mechanically sound, then upgrade to the Synthetic oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
3-5k you can run any of those. I personally would run M1 0w40 if you have the cash so you have something a little thicker due to hard driving and fuel dilution. Heck you could run Rotella 5w40 in that thing, cheap, robust best of both worlds. Just some thoughts.

thumbsup2.gif

good stuff

Well I've heard the engine in the Iraq Z is a lot different than the Z from Japan. Valvoline's secret organic additive is camel droppings, so it should perform well in the middle eastern Z. It forms a moly-like coating when you drive hard.

Ok, I'll be serious now. Any 30 wt or 40 wt synthetic that meets API SM/SN will do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back