Floats on Diesel - hard starting ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a phone call from an ex workmate, who has been experiencing extremely hard starting in his diesel 6 (pre-chamber, 4.2L). Glowplugs were around 12 months old, so he went back to the mechanic and complained.

Glowplugs tested alright, so they pulled some fuel.

Found a little water, a layer of diesel, and reputedly an "oily" layer of something on top of the diesel, which has apparently been seen on another couple of hard starters in the district.

Fuel was from a name brand station, who has a good reputation.

Any ideas ?

I don't know about the used motor oil-people do it all the time with no issues, even in newer CR diesel motors (I wouldn't myself)-might be time to have the fuel supplier do some analysis (since they're the ones on the hook for repair costs).

Well, I have read that 5-10% used oil is no problems (other than the legality) but, more that XX% will cause starting an running problems.

I doubt that if it's a hydrocarbon it would split from a tankful, which is fairly well agitated during filling.

There's a whisper around that after the Queensland floods, a lot of petrol station tanks were pumped out, the fuel reprocessed, and put back into the market.

Still doesn't really explain this issue 'though from a BP servo.

Yah, you oughta see what the stuff I bleed off to start my oil burner looks like when I run dry . The tank itself was new in '02. Any of that sludge is from stuff in the heating oil. Get some in a clear jar. Layers are bad. How much more analysis do you need?
smile.gif

Just filled up one of those 5 gallon yellow cans today, and looking through the opening saw a frothy golden looking liquid reminding me of new motor oil. besides obvious contaminates, how would I know if this is bad diesel or not?

Not to change the subject, but does diesel have a "weight" like motor oil? By looks I would guess its around a 2wt at room temperature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back