Adding a power steering cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Pathfinder does not have a power steering cooler. I saw a small cooler mounted in front of the A/C condenser on a 3.3L Pathfinder at the local junkyard. Presumably it is for the transmission, it might even be aftermarket. For the $5 I'd pay for the cooler and some hose, and maybe even a Magnefine filter down the road, would a power steering cooler be worth it? I'm not sure how hot my PSF gets. Current fill is Genuine Nissan PSF, about 6 months old. Fluid still looks and smells in good condition.

Unless you will find joy and a way to kill time with this project, most likely not needed. If you're concerned with temperature of the PSF, use a quality full synthetic ATF to combat the break down of the fluid.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Unless you will find joy and a way to kill time with this project, most likely not needed.

That's really why this idea popped in my head. It would give me something to do for a bit, but it is probably ultimately overkill. Still, for a total cost of about $10-15, I'm considering it. I could install the cooler and a Magnefine, then flush the fluid with some Valvoline MaxLife ATF and then probably forget about the PSF for the rest of the useful life of the vehicle.

How would you know that the additional capacity of having a cooler and lines doesn't adversely affect the hydraulic pressure?

I wonder if it would be easier/simpler to put on some of those finned aluminum covers onto the PSF reservoir and onto the lines in a few spots.

I know that on my truck, the radiator fan generates enough airflow that it would passively cool a lot of things in the engine bay.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
How would you know that the additional capacity of having a cooler and lines doesn't adversely affect the hydraulic pressure?

I wonder if it would be easier/simpler to put on some of those finned aluminum covers onto the PSF reservoir and onto the lines in a few spots.

I know that on my truck, the radiator fan generates enough airflow that it would passively cool a lot of things in the engine bay.

Newer R51 (2005+) Pathfinders have a steering cooler. That model power steering pump has lower maximum pressure (1160-1276 psi) vs. my pump which has 1251-1337 psi. The R51s appear to have a simple metal tube at the radiator to serve as a cooler, and the cooler I have in mind from the junkyard is a stacked plate cooler I believe. However, I don't know whether this will prove that a steering cooler will not affect the pressure significantly in my vehicle. I guess the only way to measure is with a gauge.

If the cooler is in the return line, as it should be, it won't affect the system pressure. And you don't want or need a very big cooler, it's not a hard system to keep cool.

Instead of adding a cooler, maybe run Redline power steering fluid which can take a lot more heat, and presumably negates the need for the cooler.

Power steering fluid cooler should always be installed in the low pressure return line......fluid flowing back to the resevoir.
Fluid flow being from pump, to steering rack, through cooler, back to resevior/pump.

MUCH less likely to have a leak situation.
It is also not a factor at all in fluid pressure as far as the pump/rack (steering system) is concerned.

Magnefine is also a nice add.

Synthetic fluid not only takes the heat better, it should give you better cold flow for folks in cold winter weather locations.

I think it would be worth it. It wouldn't hurt. You would increase the fluid capacity, which would lower the ppm of wear metals and other contaminates. $10-15 isn't that much. If you install the Magnefine filter, put it on the warm side of the cooler after the steering box. I believe warm fluid filters better than cold fluid.

Originally Posted By: wiswind
Synthetic fluid not only takes the heat better, it should give you better cold flow for folks in cold winter weather locations.

Maybe even to the point of making up for not having a thermostat & bypass installed on the cooler lines in sub zero weather!
wink.gif

I'd use a full synth fluid, and change it every year or so.
PS systems can run HOT!

If this is not suitable for you, put a cooler in the return line.

Some trucks now come OE equipped with PS coolers...and they don't have any thermostat bypass. I don't see any harm in adding a cooler to the PS system, only benefits; especially if you live in a warmer climate.

FWIW, my truck has a large OE installed PS cooler and runs ATF+4...this seems to be a very good combination. I have ran temps ranging from +115 to -25 all over the US...its still kicking at 250k.

I got this off the front of a 3.3L R50:

IMG_0166.jpg

I haven't checked yet, but it should just mount straight to my radiator support, which is good. It seems quite small to be used as a transmission cooler, so I'm thinking of using this one for a power steering cooler. Any reason not to? I haven't looked for a part number yet. It is a Calsonic branded cooler, so maybe it's OEM.

i see no reason not to. my grand chero has one stock, and my town & country had an extra loop of metal line on the undercarriage that i blv served the same purpose.

I think greater gains will be had with the magnefine, tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back