How is the AMD Fusion E-350 CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the wife's ASUS netbook is biting the dust after just a little over a year of ownership. Really disappointed with it. The first one was making strange HD noises, so it got exchanged. On the second one, the power adapter died and was replaced under warranty. Then as soon as the 1-year warranty ran out, keyboard started acting up, and now the screen is displaying weird colors and the display quality is really bad.

In any case, that Atom CPU didn't offer too great of a performance, so I'm thinking of getting an 11" notebook with AMD Fusion E-350 dual core CPU (such as the Lenovo ThinkPad X120e). Is this CPU noticeably more powerful than Atom? A quick search didn't turn up any comparison/benchmarks, but maybe this AMD processor is in a totally different category...

Any thoughts?

Basically I want something as small as a netbook, but a bit more powerful.

Thanks!

I recently purchased an HP DM1Z. So far, the E-350 is exceeding my expectations. The computer is fast and stays relatively cool. It WILL generate some heat, but the little HP seems to shed it easily, and not into my lap.

I use my laptop for general browsing, data logging in my car, and streaming netflix via the HDMI-out to where ever I happen to be.

I love my macbook air which will run advanced chemical modeling software fast, yet provide 8 hours of battery. It has one of the intel i series processors. Can they be had in your netbook world?

Remember though that for the most part battery life and processor power (dissipated heat) are inverse.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I love my macbook air which will run advanced chemical modeling software fast, yet provide 8 hours of battery. It has one of the intel i series processors. Can they be had in your netbook world?

Remember though that for the most part battery life and processor power (dissipated heat) are inverse.

My HP cost me just under $500, including the sleeve. It can handle 720P, run SOME newer games on low setting and very quickly multitasks. While just surfing or simple multi-tasking, I can turn down the power and have the battery last 7+ hrs. Even streaming via the HDMI, the battery was only depleted to around 50% after a couple of hours, which I found amazing.

With netbook-sized laptops, your only option, AFA Intel goes, is their Atom processors. The newest N5XX dual-core procssors are quick, but the integrated GPU (graphics processing unit) on the same die as the CPU allows for much better video playback and the ability to do SOME gaming. I haven't looked in a bit, but maybe the new dual-core Atom processors might be slightly faster at multi-tasking, but, for the money, the E-350 seems to be a very good value.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Some tests on the Lenovo x120E

Another web site with links of reviews.

Thanks for the links! Seems like a decent machine if they can work out the video playback issues and if the wife would accept the slightly larger size (compared to her current netbook).

By the way, Amazon just agreed to take back her old ASUS for a full refund, even though it's been 16 months after we bought it. That's why I love buying from Amazon, even if they're not the cheapest vendor sometimes.

Too bad about the Asus, I had one for 5 years that finally did die after a dog related accident (knocked off a table).

Have another one now, has been rock solid.

I will not buy another ASUS laptop. Nice that Amazon bought back their lemon. Once 30 days have passed Newegg says its all ASUS for any help.

Love their Motherboards but will never buy another ASUS branded laptop. Their quality is not good and their warranty (customer service) stinks.

If the Lenovo does not come through then I think I'm going to get a Samsung NC110 (wish it was dual core but for my purpose it will work fine) I just need to wait till the place I bought the Lenovo gets them in. They have my money (bought it through Paypal and that was a mistake) so I'll see how long I'll stick with it.

Whatever I get will have to be non-glossy on the screen. I've owned my last glossy screened net/laptop.

Bill

when you buy netbooks thats a chance you take why spend 3cents when 1cent will do on that part!!

The cpu is quite a nice upgrade from an atom. If my freenas server supported it I would have went with that instead of an atom.

lenovo overall is a good brand but like anyone you can get duds and sometimes the shipping is excruciatingly long from canada.. took me 5weeks to get my laptop.

I had 3 foxxconn barebone atom servers now..

first one psu was DOA, second one the motherboard died..
3rd one working ok so far. If this one dies I think ill redo my setup for WHS and go with something different.

Just wondering how you managed for Amazon to take back the notebook after the warranty expired?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Just wondering how you managed for Amazon to take back the notebook after the warranty expired?

I initially asked them for a discount toward a purchase of a new computer due to all the issues I was having with the current one. Instead, they offered to take it back for a full refund. I just have to pay the return shipping. I buy a lot from Amazon, so they probably made an exception under their goodwill policy.

And I agree with Bill.. ASUS customer service/tech support is terrible. I hope I never have to deal with them again. Supposedly their support for notebooks is better and warranty is longer, but for netbooks it's a different story altogether.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Spartuss

I initially asked them for a discount toward a purchase of a new computer due to all the issues I was having with the current one. Instead, they offered to take it back for a full refund. I just have to pay the return shipping. I buy a lot from Amazon, so they probably made an exception under their goodwill policy.

And I agree with Bill.. ASUS customer service/tech support is terrible. I hope I never have to deal with them again. Supposedly their support for notebooks is better and warranty is longer, but for netbooks it's a different story altogether.

The issues I had was with a ASUS laptop. NOT a netbook. 15.6 inch screen.

The wife buys a lot from Amazon and I'm wishing I ordered my Lenovo from them for $7 more.
06.gif
I'll keep them in mind when buying "stuff".

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
The issues I had was with a ASUS laptop. NOT a netbook. 15.6 inch screen.

I see. Thanks for clarifying that. In any case, they treat their netbook customers even worse from what I've heard.

Back when I bought it, that ASUS netbook was one of the highest rated devies in various comparisons. Now when I look at Amazon reviews, there is a significant number of negative reviews on it, mainly having to do with power issues.

Their warranty and support for Notebooks is actually quite good, though I've found dealing with their Canadian arm to be FAR easier than the US one. In either instance, the turn around has been a fraction of that for say a brand like HP or Toshiba.

I've used and sold a LOT of ASUS notebooks, and a good pile of their netbooks. I've had no issues with the netbooks. And their failure rate with notebooks has been lower than with all the other brands I've used.

We recently started using Lenovo at the office as well. We've purchased four notebooks here so far. One of them now has two dead keys on the keyboard, the "I" and the "K" keys. Not a big deal, defects happen. I won't condemn the brand because of a bad keyboard. I've seen far too many failures in the hundreds of notebooks I've dealt with to get upset over something that minor.

I've got two dead five year old ASUS notebooks at the house now. Both motherboard failures, 17" models (A7S). I've used them for parts (RAM, WiFi cards, HDD's, ODD's, LCD's, inverters, CPU's...etc).

I've got a 15" IBM Thinkpad that I use for my printer, switch and AP monitoring. It was a "gift" because the screen wasn't working. They had tried the Inverter, and that wasn't the issue. Ended up needing a back light. I "borrowed" one out of an old Compaq, problem solved!

Over the past few years regarding notebooks I've dealt with:
-HP motherboard failures (a LOT of them, I have one beside me right now, mostly the AMD-based NVidia chipset ones)
-Lenovo LCD inverter failures
-Toshiba motherboard failures
-ASUS Wifi card failures (Atheros chipset ones)
-Compaq screen hinges
-HP/Compaq AC Adapter plugs coming off the board (VERY common)
-ACER LCD Inverter failures
-ACER screen hinge failures (Requires the replacement of the the screen housing assembly)
-DELL motherboard failures (NVidia chipsets)

And I'm sure I've forgotten a few.

It is when you start seeing failures in VOLUME, like I have with the HP laptops that you start avoiding them like the plague
grin.gif

I don't expect Cisco reliability out of something at a D-Link price-point.

Well, it turns out the wife doesn't fancy the Lenovo one because "it looks too business-like". She likes the HP one more. It's the DM1-3020US, which as far as I can tell is the same thing as DM1Z. It seems to be getting good reviews, however, I am a bit concerned about OVERK1LL's observation that HP devices seem to be one of the most problematic ones out there...

I finally got my Lenovo and it's okay.

I'm not impressed with the factory sealed box and it comes out with more finger prints on it and smudges on the screen than a demo one in a Bestbuy.
smirk.gif

Very little indicator lights (only 2, battery and power?) No HDD, No wifi or anything else. Good Keyboard, touch-pad is good, Screen is good except for one hot pixel on all the time towards the bottom and sound is very good.

Battery life is in the 5-6 hour range. It at times will not play online HD videos smoothly but I have not removed and tuned up the OS. A little hard to open but I'm sure that will loosen up.

I love the matte screen and sound. For my use its okay but I could wish for a few more things. For under $500 its a well built unit.

I'm going to contact Lenovo about the Hot pixel and poor QC on the smudges and screen next week. It will be interesting to see what they say.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Well, it turns out the wife doesn't fancy the Lenovo one because "it looks too business-like". She likes the HP one more. It's the DM1-3020US, which as far as I can tell is the same thing as DM1Z. It seems to be getting good reviews, however, I am a bit concerned about OVERK1LL's observation that HP devices seem to be one of the most problematic ones out there...

If the choice is between those two, the Lenovo is a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back