What oil in your Mower and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
honda GN4 10-30 in my 23 hp B&G.

it works good in my air cooled Honda 4 wheelers, should work just as well in the B&G....imo

That's mc oil,isn't it? Automobile oil would be better,unless the trans shares the oil.

My Craftsman mower has synthetic 5w-30. I think it's Valvoline.

The very outdated owners manual said to use straight 30 weight. But I found the original Briggs manual on their website. It also said I could use synthetic 5w-30.

~1990 Toro 5HP Recycler - Rotella T5 10w-30.

Also has nothing but Non-Oxy Premium Gas.

Switched to Rotella 15w-40 on the new kohler 23hp and I have to admit shes running happier than the sae 30 that came in it.

q torque power 10/30 in my 16 HP briggs gravely
it gets worked hard so a syn is a good idea and i had a few quarts left over from autozone clearance

formula shell 5/30 in my briggs 3.5 horse push mower
its a $90 mower new so its lucky i change the oil at all

Pennzoil HD30 in my Briggs Powered Toro Super Recycler. Why? Because that's what the owners manual called for for the temps I operate in and the Pennzoil was on sale cheaper than the other HD30's at the time.

pennzoil hd 30 in my briggs powerd yard machine. It seems to like the straight 30wt pennzoil more than it did a multi-viscosity 5-30 i put in there last year. I put some old quaker 4x4 last year and it smoked and smoked and smoked. burned up quite a bit of oil too. (temps were from about 60-100 during grass cutting season) sucked out the old stuf and changed over to hd30 and it works like a champ now. Thinking about trying rotella 30 when i run out but idk if its worth it

Thanks
Sean Scott

Originally Posted By: FZ1
That's mc oil,isn't it? Automobile oil would be better,unless the trans shares the oil.

yes it is. Shell Rotella 15/40 carries the MC oil rating, but people still put it in the cars / lawnmowers....
i don't know that automotive oil would be "better" or not. i have ran it in 2 different mowers and niether have blown up yet.

Automotive oil is better than MC oil. Automotive oil has less friction than MC oil. I run M1 EP 10-30 up here in Big D.

M1 10w-30 in a Kohler 22HP and a GCV160 Honda. I run it because it meets GM4718M so it has good high temp stability. Good stuff, Wally World has good 5qt prices. No other reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back