Best lube for door hinges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a good lube to protect and reduce wear on car door hinges and hood latches? Also what is a good lube for the door locks and the best way to apply the lube? Many thanks!

Nothing fancy here. I just use my little oil can with some SAE30 and put a few drops on the door / hatch / hood hinges every oil change. The hood latch gets a little oil too. Sometimes I'll squirt a little CRC Power-Lube in the door and hatch latches. Once a year, in the fall, I lube the locks with a little special graphited lock lube on a key. They don't freeze-up and nothings failed yet, and we keep our cars a long time.

Mercedes recommends oil for hinges, ATF for throttle linkages. Others may differ in suggestions. I see a lot of talk about white grease. Maybe that's OK too...

The best advice I've heard on here has been to use motorcycle chain lube. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Wurth HHS-2000. Sprays thin so it can creep into tight spaces, then gets very thick as the solvent evaporates. Works for suspension bushing noises too. (Looks like the Wurthusa site has HHS-K instead, probably changed the solvent.)

Last edited:
They have that garage door lube, stuff is supposed to go on and be dry so as not to attract dust and stuff. I think that is the lube to use on door hinges, hood latch, anything that will clog with gunk if regular lube is used.

And I would think that pretty much anything automotive that is exposed or semi-exposed falls under "will clog with gunk if regular lube is used". So basically use any decent lube that goes on thin and wet, then drives and leaves a protective, lubricating film. Like Royal Purple Chain Lubricant or DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant.

Wurth HHS-K (the successor of HHS-2000) mentions "dirt-free lubricating points", so I don't think I'd use that. It's also breathtakingly expensive.

I'm glad this topic was raised; I'll switch.

I use a can of GM Superlube that I bought from a dealer, since it was recommended in the manual of a previous car I owned. It seems to work well, sprays on thin, but supposedly dries to a more grease-like viscosity.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Wurth HHS-2000. Sprays thin so it can creep into tight spaces, then gets very thick as the solvent evaporates. Works for suspension bushing noises too. (Looks like the Wurthusa site has HHS-K instead, probably changed the solvent.)

That's what we use at the shop.
Seems to work well. The excess does collect dirt, but that's just about enything you use, excepting the dry lubes. (teflon spray and such)

Originally Posted By: Rix
Originally Posted By: spackard

That's what we use at the shop.
Seems to work well. The excess does collect dirt, but that's just about enything you use, excepting the dry lubes. (teflon spray and such)

HHS2000 is great for hinge type applications.

Just seems to me like hood and door hinges would be a bit too exposed to dirt to use any lube that would make it stick around.

Grease is almost useless. Well, OK... it does collect dirt on the outside of the hinge!
it does not get into where it is needed!
Spray lubes or engine oil squirted at the joints of the hinge, and work it by moving the door. Repeat as necessary.

If you can clean the door hinge properly, 3-in-1 oil is okay for a patch job. Clean up any excess dripping.
laugh.gif
I've heard good things about white lithium grease as well as ATF etc.

I sprayed my hinges a couple weeks ago with some dry lube. Worst. Idea. Ever. Somehow, it didnt squeak beforehand, and now it sounds like a 200k mile beater.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I sprayed my hinges a couple weeks ago with some dry lube. Worst. Idea. Ever. Somehow, it didnt squeak beforehand, and now it sounds like a 200k mile beater.

I don't think drying lubricant is inherently problematic. What kind did you use?

Originally Posted By: volvos_rock
CRC white litium, good stuff not to attractive to dirt.

White lithium grease that doesn't attract dirt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back