Honda 2.4L Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just under 391K miles on my accord. I only add a qt per 5-6k miles but my valve cover gasket is leaking pretty bad and needs to be replaced.....I am sure mine is an external leak because there is a tiny drip on the distibutor side of the cover. about 100K miles ago I was really worried because consumption was high---but when i switched over to PYB and PP followed by M1, things slowed down----when i say high, i mean 1qt per 3K miles....now I am paranoid, but it is pretty low now

I checked my oil level today in my 2.4 after the car had been sitting for a couple hours, don't know if that matters, it was about halfway inbetween the low and full point on the dipstick. About 3,000 or just over miles on the oil so I was surprised to see how low it was. Added a quart of GTX I had lying around.

I've seen people say that they think 5w-20 looks like water and seems too thin to properly protect an engine but the 5w-20 M1 EP I poured seemed thicker than the GTX which was 5w-30...just saying from my observation

^That's not a bad rate of consumption at all, IMO. The upper mark is usually ideal and the lowest means a quart low, generally speaking. You probably over-filled it some by adding an entire quart. No harm, though. Not sure how long you are trying to go on the oil, but adding GTX isn't helping the M1 EP go the distance, if you are about extending the OCI.

I was going to run the EP to 8k ish, I know the GTX isn't helping but I figured I'd rather top it off than run it low and longer. I think it can still go that long even with the GTX in there.

a whole quart of any oil, even conventional, will help the existing oil regardless because you're adding fresh additives, plain and simple.

of course FULL > LOW is also a plus.

No more EP and had a that single quart of GTX lying around in the garage I figured better than nothing

regarding Buster's oil burning issue- I am a fan of gentle
break-ins, which I have done many times wuih success. (reference the Accord, which is the same as yours except mine is an auto) no oil consumption at all.
I am happy your latest fill of 0-20 has met with success, but be wary of a phenomonon I had with my Camry----used zero oil up to 2 K miles into an OCI, then the bottom fell out-by the time the 5K miles OCI was due, I ended up adding 2 full quarts

Interesting, I've had the opposite results. Aggressive break-ins = no oil loss.

I've very surprised the oil has remained completely full on the dipstick so far. Let's see what happens as I go over 3,000 miles. I took a few long drives, but most of this oil has seen mix stop/go/highway driving.

Your consumption seems more than usual from what I've read about the 2.4 Honda. I have a 2005 CRV with 85000km and I've never noticed any loss of oil after running Amsoil XL 5w20 over a 6 month period (~7500km with each oil change). I only have a 1/3 of the mileage you have so maybe that's not a fair comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back