Who has an OLDER Honda or Toyota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, my family has been Toyota family since the early 80s. Not sure why, but that is always how its been, a variety of corollas, camrys and siennas. Just as a random poll, how old is your oldest honda/toyota and how many miles has it gone, and has it been trouble free.

For me, its a 2001 Corolla, 95K miles, trouble free

94 toyota previa, 230k has needed nothing but a radiator and wear parts.

We had a 94 acura integra too. Got rusty at 186k and we sold it. Needed everything including most every rubber part and paint. Was a fun drive though.

'92 Acura Vigor, 223k miles.
There are known issues with this model; I've had them and fixed them. Latest things are rubber that's become hard and brittle:
- spark plug tunnel seals
- distributor seal and bearing
- camshaft seal
- timing belt (3rd one)
- outer tie rods
- idler pulley bearing
- A/T cooler hoses
- radiator

Did these myself because I lost my job recently and figured I had more time than money, and that I'd be driving a lot farther for the next job I get.

'96 Honda Accord EX V6...just turned 91,000 miles. I got the car from my cousin who quit driving about a year ago with 55,000 miles and I've been using it for work (I drive a lot). I've had ZERO issues with this old Honda and it averaged over 25 mpg during the winter (great heater and very good in the snow). I put over a thousand miles on it last week and averaged over 27 mpg...(meanwhile my 2008 Impala had to have the headgaskets replaced at 65,000 miles a couple months ago...I do like the car though...very comfortable).

Hi.

My daily driver, and my first car, is my 1996 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4. 475,278 miles currently on the odometer, original engine, original drivetrain. The major things I had to do over its life was timing belt and suspension replacements. It's never broke down on me or failed to start. I'm a Toyota guy too!

My Honda has never needed anything other than maintenance parts and wear parts like clutches bearings belts hoses and wires...

My wife (soon to be ex) and I bought a 2000 Civic brand new in October 1999 and she still drives it to this day. Since I'm no longer involved in it's maintenance I'm not sure on the exact mileage at this point but I do know it's close to 200,000 km now. It burns a liter of oil every 4000km and the engine doesn't really run that smoothly (never has actually) but it's still hanging in there. It has been very reliable though, the only major problem was a cracked exhaust manifold about 3 or 4 years ago.

My '94 LS400 with 250+k miles is running strong, needs 1/2 quarts of oil every 3-4k miles. Few parts were replaced as expected, but it still has OEM radiator.

I've had older Toyotas and Hondas.

I honestly don't know how many miles my '74 Celica had. It was on it's second motor. 200,000? 300,000? More???

My '94 Civic EX had 225,000 miles on it when I sold it.

My '96 Integra had 200,000 miles on it when I traded it in.

I would have purchased another Honda, but they priced themselves out. I got a V6 Mazda6 for the price of an Accord LX 4 cyl.

You can argue the resale value but when you keep a car for 200,000+ miles, resale value isn't really an issue.

I had a 1978 Toyota Corolla. It had 300,000+ miles on it when I sold it and still had the original clutch, but the synchromesh was a little worn.

A 1998 Camry drove it about 150,000 miles; sold it.

The Beast has about 145,000 miles and within the next 500 miles will get a timing belt, engine mounts as needed, fresh oil and such. I just got back from Mt. Palomar with it.

Toyotas have had a good record until the glitch of recent years. I am sure Toyota will recover just fine.

My big beef about modern cars are the plastic radiator tops. They always crack at about 120,000 miles and are not economical to repair; a replacement is what you get.

My DD is an 84 PU with 100k, no issues what so ever.
Years ago I had an 80 that had 500k and no issues before the frame rotted.

I have a 1992 Accord. It's had a few problems here and there, but overall has been very reliable. It's been slowly growing on me more over the past few years. It has 144k miles on it now, I only drive it about 5k miles a year, and I plan on keeping it pretty much until it dies, so I'll probably have it for a looong time
smile.gif

There is something that Grows on you, having a Car/Truck like that. Something like having an old faithful dog, or a favorite pair of old shoes.

Had a couple over the years and invariably ended up selling to upgrade to something newer:

'89 Accord, sold at 200K miles
'88 Camry, sold at 205K miles

Currently have:

'99 Civic, 120K miles
'00 Tacoma, 149K miles

Should be able to drive these two well past the 200K mark, time will tell.

Clark

I had a 1991 Toyota Corolla SR-5 coupe. bought it with about 75k miles on it in 1999; sold it to a buddy 3 years later with 137k miles on it.

He did some work it needed; then drove it to nearly 250k miles, and only stopped driving it b/c the back suspension mounts rusted out completely.

I still kick myself that I got rid of that little car.

I bought an '89 Civic Si with 160k miles that had been sitting in a driveway for 3 years in 2008 just to fix. It had the typical Civic rust, but everything was there. Flushed the fuel system, replaced the battery, oil & filter, new main relay, plugs, coolant system flush and cleaned the idle air control motor. I fired the car up and it ran perfect. At that point, I had about $500 invested. Since I didn't really need the car, I gave it to my (future) son-in-law to drive. He drove it for a full year and then brought it back. It sat in the driveway for a month, then a friend of my kids (a U.S. Marine reservist)needed a car to drive, so off it went. Now, at 200k miles, the car still runs perfect. The only repair between my original investment and today was cleaning a connector for the cooling fan motor to get the fan working again. Everything works 100%, including the electric sunroof and the a/c. The rust holes have been filled with spray foam insulation and covered with bondo. Red rustoleum is almost a perfect match for the paint and it still gets 36 mpg on the highway and is a blast to drive.

A 2001 is not old. It may be "old" if changing a burned out light bulb is the first unscheduled repair.

My uncle had a mid 70s Corona station wagon. He got it for $100 because it had a new radiator, something his other 1978 Corona needed. Decided it was nice enough to run, except for the automatic transmission going straight from first into third. Rust made holes in the rear floorboards: my cousins would drop corn down on the asphalt below so they could watch it bounce off the windscreens of following vehicles.

I rode in the 1978 back in the mid 90s and did not feel it was the safest car in the world. Shoulder seat belt had an odd roof mounted retractor. Seat belt narrowed to about an inch wide before going into that retractor. Rear lap only seat belts didn't have many "clicks" left on their retractors. Power may have been an issue as my uncle rocketed down some hilly Vermont hills to make it up the next ones. Or maybe it was just fun.
wink.gif
Its floors didn't rot like the other one. (Or the carpet hid it well.)

what are you talking about? your 00 tacoma will make it to 300k very easy. The key is to change oil regulary. Don't drive with high RPM. Use Top Tier Gas. Good Luck.

It is not a Honda or Toyota, but my '93 Miata is going strong at 114,000 miles. My '04 Accord has 83,500 miles and has been trouble free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back