1991 johnson 140hp outboard idle speed adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this isn't really the right forum to ask this question but oh well. Someone has to know something about these 2 stroke outboards. I recently had to steering arm replaced about about a week ago so I took it out for a test drive today and noticed that after they replaced it the the idle speed was too low once the engine got warmed up. It stalled 3 times getting to the dock. Not a place you want to stall. Instead of bringing the boat back and complaining it looks like there is an adjustment knob on the throttle cable. Is this the adjustment knob for the idle? look like I can just turn the black plastic knob that looks like a gear to give it more fuel? Is this right? There are two throttle cables the top one is the one that moves and the bottom one wasn't moving. But anyways is that top black knob the correct one to bump the idle speed up just a tad? Thanks. PS they had to remove the powerhead to replace the steering arm so they probably messed up the setting since I bet they needed to remove those throttle cables to take the powerhead off.

Last edited by a moderator:
NO! Still, you are close, look at the throttle linkage on the Starboard side of the motor, have someone advance the throttle slightly and return it to idle position (motor off, in your driveway) and you will immediately spot the idle stop set screw. A quick couple of turns and you will be good to go... assuming that's the root of the problem.

Starboard side? I assume your looking at it while standing on the ground and not while on the boat? The linkage is on the port side if im looking at it while on the boat. So it's an actual set screw and not that knob. ok thanks. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're adjusting the idle at the wrong (operator) end of the lever, any flexing of the cables or even stretching from heat and cold will mess with your idle. As said, figure it out at the engine/carburetor side of things.

It sounds like those other adjustments are for slop when you're leaving neutral, you probably want a little slop but not too much. The "whump" when the prop engages should be minor, and of course not stall then either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back