Retread Tires... good deal or not worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at picking up some cheap tires for the 94 intrepid w/254K on it (not sure how much longer it will last but I'm hoping a while.)

Found a decent deal on retread tires:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-NEW-Com...sQ5fAccessories

Anyone use retread tires before? The listing doesn't give much info on the tires (IE what tread depth they come with new, treadwear info... all of that fun stuff.)

I bought retreads when I was in South Africa and Australia. They cost more in the long run when they detreaded themselves in a few thousand miles.

Did not know they allowed retreads on passenger cars in the states

Retread tires is a no, on Ebay is another no, so that it is a no no. I rather buy used tires with 7-8/32" tread remaining from a local tire store than buy retread tires anywhere.

I've had cars with retreads before.

On my BJ42 Land cruiser, they were on it when I bought it, and were starting to throw the belt...got pro-rata warrenty on some new ones, and they were OK...for an off roader that was lucky to crack 70mph.

Another beater that I bought had them on it when I got it, and when they wore out, I replaced them with bead to bead remoulds, which also did alright...that had the "Starfire 4" in it, and was next to the second slowest car I've owned.

Bought a used hotted Commodore with "performance" retreads on it...they bubbled under the tread.

A mate had a Torana with retreads on, threw driver's front belt, got wedged between the body and bumper...panel damage and a 1 wheel lock-up at speed.

I WOULD use retreads again, but only if I buy an old landcruiser or Landrover for offroading.

Passenger cars capable of over 140km/hr...no way.

So used tires it is... the problem I currently have is that I can't find a good set of 4 tires with the same tread depth. I can find two of one brand with the same tread depth but past that it's rather hit or miss trying to find 4.

I can find 4 barely used tires for around $49.95 a piece, but they wouldn't match. Isn't it a general rule that you want the same two tires on the front at least?

You couldn't pay me to run retreads (and you couldn't pay me double to run retreads from some random ebay seller).

I'd much rather run used if on a tight budget - a direction I see you're already headed.

Just thinking out loud - you might be able to drop by a few busy local tire stores that do NOT otherwise run a used tire business. If you chat them up they may be able to watch out for a set in your size that's got some miles left on them. I don't know what the disposal laws are in your state, but you might be saving them money to take them off of their hands. You may have better luck at an independent, family-owned type of place rather than a big chain but who knows...

You could also watch out for some winter tires at these same places. Drivers generally discard winter tires "early" because they don't have enough tread depth for winter - anything less than 6/32" - but that's plenty for summer driving. A "wanted" ad on Craigslist or Kijiji could do some of the work for you?

Last edited:
If you want used this is a really common size for them. This was the OE size on Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car including the Police Interceptors for a long time. A lot of police departments, at least around here take tires with 6/32 tread out of service, or will replace any tire with a puncture instead of repairing.

Go used. I have four different brands on four different corners. I'd go to a junkyard before a tire dealer, as cars get junked for a variety of reasons, but tires get pulled for only one... they suck.

If it's your lucky day you can get them on rims all mounted and balanced (and full of air). This proves to you they didn't run the tire pile over with their front end loader causing hidden damage.

The tread pattern on those retreads looks miserable BTW. Kind of reminds me of the ghetto bottom of the barrell firestones from about 15-20 years back.

The tread pattern does look drab.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-NEW-Com...=item20b922fff4 - here's a different tread pattern but not for my size... looks better.

I've done the junk yard thing before... in the long run it should be cheaper than picking them up from ebay with shipping costs (just bring my tire guage along.)

Don't need the rims and I don't really want anything below 6/32nd's as I live in Minnesota and don't feel like constantly switching back and forth between tires (any money saved on using the tires to their fullest potential will be outweighed by mounting/balancing costs.)

If you don't do alot of driving I think the ultimate deal in used tires are snow tires. With your common size I think you can find sets on rims with alot of tread left for not alot of money.
Maybe do a wanted ad on craigslist, since its abit out of season.

I'll echo what others have said: a good used tire, or some new Made in China tires any day will beat retreads by a long shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back