What kind of glue to use on repairing shoes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my 6-month old shoe decide to split at the tip from its bottom. What kind of glue should I buy in Lowe's? Any preparation tips on the gluing surface will be welcome. I want to try repair it myself before taking it to a shoe repair shop. Everything is getting expensive nowadays. Thanks.

Contact adhesive is the go.

My son makes "happy" shoes due to his level of activity in the playground.

Use a match to hold the flaps aparts, smear both faces with contact adhesive, and keep seperated until touch dry, then clamp together...works great.

You haven't told us what kind of shoe it is. A sneaker is pretty much impossible to repair. You may prolong it's life for a while. They are all disposable. I used to make emergency repairs with Goop, a very strong clear silicone adhesive. It's only a temporary fix, though.

Read about Goop here: http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infadh/infgoo.html

If it's a conventional shoe, like a leather shoe with nailed or stitched sole, you should go to a cobbler. I have boots that cost about $200 to rebuild every few years. They are worth it.

How about shoe-goo? I think it's still being made. But it probably will result in a glob of a repair. Contact cement is probably the way to go, as Shannow mentioned above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_Goo
200px-Shoegoo.JPG

Originally Posted By: sifan
It is a leather shoe worn daily to work.

I'd take them to a cobbler and get an estimate. Asking doesn't cost anything. I don't think I'd attempt a DIY repair.

contact adhesive . rubber cement, Liquid Nails is a brand name. Cobblers used it when resoling with leather soles.

I use Shoe Goo. It has trouble with places that move a lot and get stressed, but simple places are a snap. In my experience, getting sneakers wet while working in them is the kiss of death.

Check out the marine 3m 5200. The best adhesive on the market IMO.

I took Volvo_ST1's suggestion and brought the shoes to a shoe repair shop. The repair will take more than just gluing but also adding nails to secure the binding. The cost is $20 which is the price of the shoes on sale at Kmart. Thanks to all your advices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back