0W40 Instead Of 5W40 - VW 502 - Warranty Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
perhaps this Link may be of some help in understanding the evolution and applications of Euro OEM performance standards

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/lubrizol/EOACEA2009/RPTOOL2010Dep/rp/pc/index.html

Regards

This should be stickied. I found this here sometime last year and it really puts into perspective which OEM approvals to focus on if you truly want the best performance from your engine oil. One that meets 229.5, A40 and 503.00/01 is about as it's going to get for a petrol/gasoline spec oil. Hello M1 0W-40 and Pennzoil 5W-40.

A5/B5 seems to be a pretty competitive spec for engines that don't need high HTHS. Equally amazing is how pathetic API standards are.

Doug, is there any way to find the formal testing protocol (eg. operating conditions and wear targets) for each of these OEM specs?

While slightly OT, I want to add a caveat that no one except Pennzoil shows what year's ACEA spec their 20 and 30wt oil meet. I suspect like Pennzoil the others are meeting A1/B1 from 01 which isn't so great at all, and the 30wt's may also be 04 which is very far from 08 in wear.

Liqui Moly also specify which year ACEA oil sequences they conform to. Mostly 2004 (ACEA A3-04/B4-04) as that was in place at the time of last reformulation/certification. Their newest oils are ACEA 08.

It doesn't matter for A3/B3/B4 oils since most of them have OEM approvals like 229.5 which surpass the ACEA specs anyway.

Hi,
vinu_neuro - Some Independent Testing Bodies do have a "snapshot" of specific OEM Test protocols on their Websites but they are not widely available except from the Manufacturer

I may have some and if I can find them I will PM you in a week or two

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
It doesn't matter for A3/B3/B4 oils since most of them have OEM approvals like 229.5 which surpass the ACEA specs anyway.

The manufacturer approvals of most of their oils are outdated as well. That doesn't mean that, if reevaluated, they would not meet newer/more demanding specs too.

Except maybe in so far as exhaust aftertreatment compatibility is concerned, which is of no consequence to my application anyway (diesel, oxidation catalyst only).

If their newest HC-synthese are this good:

ACEA C3-08
API SM/CF
BMW Longlife-04
Ford WSS-M2C 917-A
GM dexos2
MB-Freigabe 229.51
VW 505.01 / 505 00 / 502 00

Why wouldn't their older, HD synthetics be?

Ok, that's enough shilling. I don't want to push my oil preference on anyone.

My Audi is a 2000 model 1.8T and the manual recommends 5k oil changes. However, I consistently run it 10k after an oil analysis confirms the oils holds up. Amsoil AFL held up just barely, mainly TBN being exhausted. My last OA with Mobil One 0w40 showed tbn fine but it did shear to 12.6 but that's still fine. wear metals were outstanding, the best i have seen on this engine and it has 150k on it. The HTHS really should be in the 10 range for best flow. My next change will be with a 0w-30 with a 502 cert. Castrol has it although its on the high side of a 30w...Mobil has a new 0w30 with a 502 and SN rated oil which is interesting and is probably what will go in.

Originally Posted By: kbowley
Mobil has a new 0w30 with a 502 and SN rated oil which is interesting and is probably what will go in.

Haven't seen that. Do you have a link to it?

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope
Mobil has a new 0w30 with a 502 and SN rated oil which is interesting and is probably what will go in.

robert

Major plus one!! I wonder how it is compared to M1 0w40??

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Originally Posted By: robertcope

robert

Major plus one!! I wonder how it is compared to M1 0w40??

Not sure a 502.00 oil can meet SN. Way too many additives. A 504.00 oil might meet SN.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

5. 503.01 was the flexible interval AND certain high output engines. Because 503.01 was not mandated in the US, with certain Audi RS engines, 505.01 was the closest substitute

I thought the VW "W" engines required 503.01 along with any Audi with the OLM/maintenance minder system? I seem to remember my friends 2002 W8 Passat stating only 503.01 in the W8 engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back