oil change on my 04 gs500f

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a 04 GS500f with 10k miles on it.

It needs an oil change soon and i'm starting to do research on it. Google shows FRAM oil filters CH6000. I'm not exactly on board with FRAM, i know some are decent but i rather go with another brand. Rather have stuff i can pick up locally but online ordering works too.

its a 4 stroke, 2 cylinder. What oil should i be looking to get...i'll be sticking with OEM OCI which is about 3k.

Is that a cartridge insert filter? If so, alternatives are WIX 24931 or Purolator ML16800.

As far as oil, if you have a shared sump, look for an oil with JASO MA spec. Rotella T 15w-40 is readily available and carries this spec. It should do fine at such short OCI. If you want synthetic, then Rotella T6 5w-40 is another option. There are many others, too if you browse older threads.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
As far as oil, if you have a shared sump, look for an oil with JASO MA spec.

+1...from what I see on the web a JASO MA or MA2 oil is required as the oil is shared between the engine and the transmission (clutch).

Rotella T or T6 should serve you well.

That thing has a cartridge filter. You can use a KN133 or HF133. WIX Part # 24931

By the way - in a cartridge style filter the Fram is as good as anything else. The problem that most people have with Fram is the construction of their canister filters.

Be careful tightening the bolts on the oil filter cover as they strip easily. I'm thinking something like 60 inch-pounds of torque. A little anti-sieze might not hurt.

i just downloaded the manual

"Suzuki recommends
the use of SUZUKI PERFORMANCE 4 MOTOR OIL or equivalent engine oil. Use oil with an API
(American Petroleum Institute)
classification of SF/SG or SH/SJ,
or with a JASO classification of
MA.

Suzuki recommends the use of
SAE 10W-40 engine oil. If SAE
10W-40 engine oil is not available,
select an alternative according to
the following chart.

Suzuki does not recommend the
use of “ENERGY CONSERVING”
oils. Some engine oils which have
an API classification of SH or
higher have an “ENERGY CONSERVING”

So i can use normal engine oil and not opt for special motorcycle oil? does Rotella offer a 10w-40 mix?

I have a '96 GS500 and have always used "regular" car oil in it, usually Rotella 5W-40. It's occasionally seen Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40 and a variety of conventional and blend 10W-40s. I generally use whatever filter bikebandit.com has.

jeff

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
So i can use normal engine oil and not opt for special motorcycle oil?

There's nothing "special" about motorcycle oil. Basically it's an oil that is not energy conserving and therefore does not have friction modifiers. Some car engine oils can be used, but not all. To be on the safe side, make sure that the oil you choose carries the JASO MA spec. The two rotella products I mentioned earlier do.

Quote:

does Rotella offer a 10w-40 mix?

It does, but it's API SM and no JASO spec.

The oil does not HAVE to be 10w-40. The chart in the owner's manual allows various other grades, too. If you will not be riding below 10F, 15w-40 grade is perfectly fine. But if you insist on using 10w-40, then I think Mobil1 has a 10w-40 motorcycle oil (Racing 4T) that you can use. There are others, including a bunch of 5w-40 oils that will offer improved flow in very cold start up situations.

If you'll be riding that air-cooled motorcycle hot & hard, I'd use a 15W-50 or 20W-50. If you're an easy rider, the Shell Rotella is a good choice.

yea, i'm not riding in the code much. just looked at my manual.
it has 15w-40, 20w-50 as well.

I'm going to be an easy rider. So anything with JASO MA is golden as its the code/spec for japanese motorcycles.

Guess rotella is were its at since i can get this stuff at walmart. I'll spend some time looking at all options at walmart sometime this week.

question... if i get that T6 5w-40 syn, its thinner at first but once its warmed up it should get thicker to about what 10w-40 would be right?

Last edited:

question... if i get that T6 5w-40 syn, its thinner at first but once its warmed up it should get thicker to about what 10w-40 would be right?

No oil gets thicker as it warms up. That would be against the laws of physics.

At operating temp, a 5w-40 is about as thin as 10w-40, and that's as thin as they'll ever be. But as they cool, a 5w-40 will not thicken up as much as the 10w-40. At 50F ambient temp, this difference may be very small, but as you go significantly below freezing temps, this difference becomes noticeable.

i'll be picking up 15w40 rotella.

but filter wise how are K and N. I know their air filters dont exactly filter out much.

They seem to be nicely priced on amazon in the $6 range, picture shows it comes with gaskets but nothing to show it.

did the change yesterday with rotella T 15w40 and that K/N

i dont know if this is an existing/related issue but now with the engine on, i cant get it into neutral or any other gear other then 1st. With the engine off it gets in neutral w/o any issue period.

I noticed this only today as i was at a LONG red light and i wanted to kick it up into N, instead of being in 1st. It never went in, nor did i miss and have it go into 2nd. It felt like it was lockout of everything other then 1st. I tried reving and letting out the clutch a bit and it didn't work. Then i stalled and it just slipped into N.

I dont think its related to oil but i dont know what else to say, i didn't pay attention before hand.

In general, on most bikes, changing gears while the bike is stopped is difficult if not impossible. However, if you're in 1st, you should always be able to shift into N without any issues.

Did this start happening right after you put new oil in or is this a pre-existing issue? You may want to check on some Suzuki specific bike forum.

gstwin.com is the site for this bike. The answers to any and all questions you could possibly have can be found there.

No, there shouldn't be any shift issues, especially something so acute, caused by a particular oil grade as long as it's within the spec range. I've used that same stuff in my bike at least once and never had a problem. Like pete says, shifting any bike while stationary can be iffy.

jeff

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
In general, on most bikes, changing gears while the bike is stopped is difficult if not impossible. However, if you're in 1st, you should always be able to shift into N without any issues.

Did this start happening right after you put new oil in or is this a pre-existing issue? You may want to check on some Suzuki specific bike forum.

agreed on shifting while standing still but yes this is at a stand still from 1st to N. Its suppose to go into N, somewhat feels like i'm locked out of 2nd and N for that matter.

I have no clue it was there before or after the lube change. I didn't hit a long light before until that day to care.

GStwins is great but at times not very active or full of great minds, a good amount say 60% from my 3 weeks on there shows most to be of the same mind set like myself. Just starting and learning.

My Gs500F gets Shell Rotella 15-40. Would have no problem using 5-40 Rotella T-6. You can use just aobut any quality 10-40 as they typically are NOT EC and would meet MA if so tested. Do what you want. NOW the important stuff!

BE CAREFUL removing and replacing the fasteners that hold the filter housing cover on. The are crazy fragile. They only need to be good'n snug. If they resist removal with moderate force, STOP. Get an anjustable impact wrench and use a very low torque setting to rap-a-tat it out. If they break, you can at least purchase decent fasteners to replace them. There is a very good gstwins.com forum.

prs

GStwins is great but at times not very active or full of great minds, a good amount say 60% from my 3 weeks on there shows most to be of the same mind set like myself. Just starting and learning.

This is pretty much true, but there is a wealth of information regarding parts, trouble shooting, repairs, mods, etc. Sometimes you just have to know where to look or who to ask. There are a handful of super helpful guys who know the bikes inside and out.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: greenjp
. There are a handful of super helpful guys who know the bikes inside and out.

without a doubt. there seems to be a small handful of guys thats been around forever. since the bike design has been around forever these guys are key but they are few and far between.

a gs500 is a beginner bike, most people buy use for 1 or 2 seasons and move up. Thats what i think i'll be doing.

Back on topic, I just went past my local pepboys and saw castrol 10w40 motorcycle oil for like $15.99 vs rotella at walmart for $14. I might go just go with castrol next time up.

about me bike not going into N, at a standstill it just refuses to go into N. Now when coming to a light i just go from 2nd to N rather then 1st. Its worked for me all day today so i have no issues.

I guess it's how you like it, but while driving and coming to a stop, I never put my bike in N. Before I come to a complete stop, I'll down shift it to 1st and hold it there until it's time to move again. This is a safety thing as well - if you need to quickly get out of the way, All you need to do is give it some gas and let out the clutch lever.

^ i understand that state of mind.

I'm still learning as i go with the bike, only have like 60 miles under my belt. Guess i'll figure out what i like soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back