Proliance radiators

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've been doing a bit too much cleaning as far as the cooling system in my Grand Marquis is concerned. Yesterday, I noticed a puddle of water directly underneath the radiator (driver's side) and my first thought was the radiator's busted. But having checked the water, it was cold to warm. If it was coolant, it would have been piping hot with a yellow tint (G-05) to it. Especially true, considering the vehicle was only parked for 5 minutes.

It was dripping from the deflector underneath the radiator but after a while, it just went away. I got under the car to try and locate the source, but saw nothing. It sure wasn't condensation from the air conditioner, because that drips from behind the right front tire not in front of the engine.

I serviced my cooling system nevertheless, and used Motorcraft Premium Green. Part of the reason was to see if I really had a leak (green would be easier to spot). Lo and behold, when I walked out the house this morning, I noticed a puddle of green coolant on the driver's side of the radiator. So I decided I would go out and buy a new one to install tomorrow.

In a country where everyone seems to have a genuine parts obsession, I went through [censored] and high water to find a Genuine Ford radiator (part number F8VZ-8005-BA). Seems genuine only matters when it comes to filters, lubricants and brake pads.

Ended up getting a Proliance 431393 for ~$94.14, made in Mexico. It was either that, a no brand Chinese or a no brand Taiwanese one for the same price, so I settled for the Proliance.

I hope it lasts at least a year or two to get my money's worth, and order a Genuine Ford one to keep on standby. Although one of my worries is reduced coolant capacity versus the OE radiator. Just naturally wondering though, if anyone has any experiences with Proliance radiators.
smile.gif

I've sold lots of them, very few have come back. Yes they're made in Mexico, Canada, some I've seen China, etc.. but we've had excellent luck with these.

Although I've been seeing some of them without drain plugs.
Where the drain plug should be is a plastic plug glued in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EricF
I've sold lots of them, very few have come back. Yes they're made in Mexico, Canada, some I've seen China, etc.. but we've had excellent luck with these.

That's quite refreshing to hear!
thumbsup2.gif
I was considering heading to yards to see if I can source a clean one, but nobody here runs coolant, just plain tap water. The cooling system and transmission tends to the most neglected service components, so 9 out of 10 cars will have rusty tap water circulating in their cooling system, which is exactly what I have the problem. I cleaned up too much rust, which caused a leak. Thankfully, it was the radiator and not the engine block.

The radiator that's currently on is factory, and made in USA. Not sure who Ford's supplier is, but it's certainly great to hear Proliance make quality radiators.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: EricF
Although I've been seeing some of them without drain plugs.
Where the drain plug should be is a plastic plug glued in.

Thanks for pointing that out. Just checked, and the 431393 seems to be one of them, not a drain plug in sight. Suppose I can just pull the thermostat and the upper hose to flush the system as opposed to drain.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I'm just happy you didn't get a Spectra.
They are junk.

Good to see another positive comment!
laugh.gif

The Proliance 3-core unit I put in my Jeep a few years ago seemed to be assembled fine and is holding up well so far. This was a replacement for a Mopar replacement part that made it 6 years before failing. The orignal lasted nearly 15 years, so to state that 6 years from an overpriced OEM replacement was a diappointment shouldn't be a surprise. The Proliance was less than 1/2 the Mopar price, was made in Mexico, and short of the plastic drain valve, matched the Mopar unit in construction. (This is an all Copper/Brass unit).

I'd use it without too much worry...

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I'm just happy you didn't get a Spectra.
They are junk.

Why! What is wrong with spectra radiators? I have a canadian made spectra in my 1992 chevy lumina it has been in there 3 or 4 years with no problems at all. I have also had spectra radiators in several other cars i have owned with no problem with them.

Originally Posted By: Ironduke4

Why! What is wrong with spectra radiators?
They used to have a very high failure rate. Bad enough that our suppliers stopped offering them.

I can't comment on the newer ones. Today It appears to me that most radiators regardless of the brand on the box come from the same plant in China.

My last radiator was a Copper brass(no plastic tanks)Proliance. It began leaking at about 2.5 years of age from where the tubes met the end of the core. The front row of fins would completely disintegrate with the swipe of a finger. It still cooled fine and did not leak too badly when I replaced it.

But it must be stated that I frequently park next to the ocean all day long so salt air corrosion is a huge factor for me.

I went with an all aluminum welded radiator this time as my all aluminum tranny cooler has lasted through 3 copper brass radiators. Hopefully it lasts longer than my previous copper/ brass jobs.

I do not have much faith in it but so far so good 7 months in.

It should be fine,
I just installed a Vista-Pro the other day (made in Mexico) seems alright, luckily it does have the same oem drain setup. The core still has USA stamped in it. The shop that sold it to me said that Visteon would make some OE stuff for Ford, and now they are Vista-Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back