Review on Eagle 1 Gel Wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just washed both my wifes car an mine and used the Eagle 1 Gel Wax w/carnuba & Nano Technology and I must say, I really like the end result.

The finish on the paint is as smooth as anything I have used recently and [just about] as easy to use as any quick detail type products that I love. The paint feels as though I clayed it first but, that's not the case. What I did was washed the vehicle very well, removing any extra road grime/tar from the winter. Even though the vehicles had been washed through out the winter(as temps permitted), they needed a really good hand washing.

Once dry, I applied the GelWax on an applicator pad(as you would with wax/silicone) and rubbed it into the paint but, wiped it off right away using a micro-fiber towel. It does become a bit harder to remove if left on too long but, not that difficult to remove if left on way too long. Outside temps were cool...About 40+ deg's F.

I tried on a couple of spots, just applying the GelWax and "leaving it there" while I did the rest of the vehicle. It comes off fine with a bit of mild rubbing. Doesn't hurt the paint if left there tooooo long!

A couple of coats might be the ticket but, I only applied one coat.

I noticed that while applying the GelWax, it goes on in a yellowy clear smearing texture look. The instructions on the back label says "do not let it dry to a haze". What I have noticed is, it does not dry to a haze anyway, just remains smeared! And it will not leave dried wax in scratches, stone chips or cracked paint as does your typical wax/silicone products that do dry to a powdery haze.

The feel of the finished product on the paint reminds me of "Yellow Wax" Carnuba. The finish is streak free and I look forward to using this product in the summer where the tempuratures are much higher than the 40+ degrees F of this past weekend. Also, I'd like to try it on my black Firebird FORMULA as I am curious about the streaking on a darker paint in the heat. I'm also curious just how this product will work in direct summer sunlight.

I'll have to give it a try as I still use the Meguiar's Deep Crystal Cleaning system which is great but doesn't seem to last very long and takes what seems like forever to apply on my car(using the 1 step compound), already shaved time off from the three step there.

Can you post any pics of the car done? Just interested to see it. Does it give a wet look or just a nice dealer shine?

I've always had pretty good luck with Eagle 1 products. This past weekend I went to Motormania and stopped at the Nu-Way booth and they had this this new Eagle 1 spray-on carwash soap. The guy gave me a bottle to try out. I'm eager to try this stuff. I use the wax-as-you-dry and it works pretty good. Also have the Nano wax. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Anies
I'll have to give it a try as I still use the Meguiar's Deep Crystal Cleaning system which is great but doesn't seem to last very long and takes what seems like forever to apply on my car(using the 1 step compound), already shaved time off from the three step there.

Can you post any pics of the car done? Just interested to see it. Does it give a wet look or just a nice dealer shine?

No pic's. Just have to use your immagination! The shine is great but, my paint(s) are in very good shape. Very deep shiny paint for their age. '01 Lexus/'04 Altima. They look great even if I do say so myself!
smile.gif

This product will only keep them this way and the smooth feeling is NICE!

When my vehicles are just done up/detailed and I park next to a new car, mine look "almost" as brilliant with the exceptions of a light door ding here and a mild/light scratch there(in which good detail procucts hide/mask). My headlights have clouded and have been polished out and, the flat black isn't as rich black as it once was but, still nice. These can be seen as the differences between new and used vehicles. My cars are always parked outside.

But, park my vehicles next to other clean vehicles in a parking lot, and mine are standouts. Generaly, people who don't know particular years of vehilces, think my vehicles are newer than they are. My cars look better than most but, not as good as some real nuts!

Ya know those folks that post pic's of their cars after a nice wax job? Mine look the same!

This is the only way I can describe them without pictures. I'm that guy down the street, that guy we all know who is the car nut. Just not as nuts as I once was. I even know guys that are many times more fussy than me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: Anies

No pic's. Just have to use your immagination! The shine is great but, my paint(s) are in very good shape. Very deep shiny paint for their age. '01 Lexus/'04 Altima. They look great even if I do say so myself!
smile.gif

This product will only keep them this way and the smooth feeling is NICE!

When my vehicles are just done up/detailed and I park next to a new car, mine look "almost" as brilliant with the exceptions of a light door ding here and a mild/light scratch there(in which good detail procucts hide/mask). My headlights have clouded and have been polished out and, the flat black isn't as rich black as it once was but, still nice. These can be seen as the differences between new and used vehicles. My cars are always parked outside.

But, park my vehicles next to other clean vehicles in a parking lot, and mine are standouts. Generaly, people who don't know particular years of vehilces, think my vehicles are newer than they are. My cars look better than most but, not as good as some real nuts!

Ya know those folks that post pic's of their cars after a nice wax job? Mine look the same!

This is the only way I can describe them without pictures. I'm that guy down the street, that guy we all know who is the car nut. Just not as nuts as I once was. I even know guys that are many times more fussy than me.

What about the Eagle 1 gel wax getting on exterior plastic trim? Does it stain like many waxes do? My Jeep GC has plenty of plastic trim.

I called Eagle 1's toll free # and asked the customer rep the same question. I was told that it's fine for trim and flat black paint. I did try it on the flat black "B" pillers(between the F&R doors) and it did nothing good or bad. Didn't dull'em/didn't shine'em!

As-far-as black/gray grained body side moldings and grained bumbers/facia, I don't know! My cars have painted moldings/bumpers, the same color of the rest of the car. I'm reluctant to try it there just yet.

Here is what the back label mentions:

"QUOTE"

* Superior wax for lasting shine & protection
* Quickly glides on, wipes off
* No white residue, haze or hard buffing
* Won't discolor black trim & molding - enhances color

I just tried this product. O'Reilly's had it on their 2 Eagle products for $7 sale. I was pleased. Use it sparingly and wipe off right after applying. Nice shine and very smooth finish.

I was just going to write an update this morning as I used it again this weekend on another car that hadn't had anything done to it all winter long except a few local car washes. I am very pleased again! Very smooth finish and nice shine. Easy enough to do two coats if desired.

Both this and the new Armor All Butter smooth wax seem great on black plastic or black rubber trim...NO white waxy marks at all. My M Coupe has black plastic door handles and I can just wax over them..no problem. Same with the black rubber gaskets around my tail lights. If you have a dark color car this makes a nice finished looking wax job!

The eagle one gel wax has a 100% rebate on it now if you pay less than 10 bucks for it. So it is FREE!

http://www.freecatcher.com/Automotive/Tr...in-Rebate-Offer

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ammolab
Both this and the new Armor All Butter smooth wax seem great on black plastic or black rubber trim...NO white waxy marks at all. My M Coupe has black plastic door handles and I can just wax over them..no problem. Same with the black rubber gaskets around my tail lights. If you have a dark color car this makes a nice finished looking wax job!

The eagle one gel wax has a 100% rebate on it now if you pay less than 10 bucks for it. So it is FREE!

http://www.freecatcher.com/Automotive/Tr...in-Rebate-Offer

sorry I see that rebate is over May 1st...but they have another good deal...
http://buyeagleone.com/

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Both this and the new Armor All Butter smooth wax seem great on black plastic or black rubber trim...

Funny you should mention that. I bought a bottle of EagleOne Gel Wax during last month's sale, and liked it, including the smell. The stuff smells nice! I want a car freshener with that odor.

Then I got a bottle of Mothers Back-To-Black (which is a cleaner/restorer for oxidized plastic and rubber trim) for my girlfriend's Outback and the stuff looked and smelled just like the Gel Wax. Leading me to wonder how different they were from each other.

Quote:
I noticed that while applying the GelWax, it goes on in a yellowy clear smearing texture look. The instructions on the back label says "do not let it dry to a haze". What I have noticed is, it does not dry to a haze anyway, just remains smeared! And it will not leave dried wax in scratches, stone chips or cracked paint as does your typical wax/silicone products as does your typical wax/silicone products that do dry to a powdery haze.
Did my black Genesis today and I agree with your comments. It was nice not to have deal with the white powdery residue found with Nu Finish. And as mentioned here, it smells great.

As directed it was applied in the shade and went on easily. I used a microfiber towel to wipe off which required some effort. I decided to try a terry and interlock weave cloth which seemsed to glide easier. So, I decided to continue to wipe off the GW with the microfiber towel and finish with the terry towel. Put it out in the sunlight to check for streaks or uneven removal, didn't find many, but they were easily rubbed out.

All in all, satsified with the product, and it was free after rebate. Now will see how it holds up to the elements and washing.

Sayjac, I will be trying it in direct sunlight soon. I also want to put some Gel Wax on a spot and leave it there for some time, i.e. while I do the rest of the car. Not alot, just a small area(12"x12") such as the trunk lid...Right in the heat of the sun!

I have done this already on a small spot(painted outside mirrors) and I didn't find it hard to remove...Not really hard, just a little more elbow grease! But, we're not into the real summer yet(July).

I must say that the Gel Wax isn't as easy to use(but not difficult either) as a Quick Detailer, Mist & Wipe, Show Time, Wax-As-U-Dry but, the finish is better and as of right now, I'll take it!

Char, I also wonder how well GW would would work on a fairly severly weathered finish. Daughter's 01 Civic has not been garaged, used NuFinish last time and it brought the paint back some. Like you mentioned though, it left white residue in the hood stone chips, not cool.

Like I said, removing GW, I used a microfiber towel (from Wally) and it took some elbow grease. The mfiber towel never really did glide, the finishing terry towel did though. Wondered if it was the particular microfiber towel or if that is a trait of all mf towels?

I sure didn't use much though for the whole car. And unlike NuF where your hands smell like a chemical/petro plant when finished, GW has a is very pleasant smell to work with. And, it was hard to go wrong for free.

As for working in direct sun, I'm sure you realize it says for 'best results' work in shade. I guessing, but it might be more difficult to apply/remove and therefore might tend to streak or leave an uneven finish. But, can't hurt to experiment on a small section.

Now I would like to try a quick spray wax, to maintain the job. Also used the E1 Gel tire shine. I like how it doesn't drip all over, but it really requires an applicator to spread it evenly. Used an E1 Tire Swip I had been given as a gift.

fwiw, I was going to post a pic of the finished job, but it's just a really shiny black car.
21.gif

Sayj,
Once the micro miber towel(for removal) gets loaded with GW, it in itself doesn't glide as nicely on the surface as well as another finishing micro fiber towel will.

Even in the past when I was using regular waxes/silicones such as N-F, TurtleWax, Blue Coral, Rain Dance, Carnuba or whatever, I alway kept a 2nd removal towel on hand. 1 for the first removal and 1 for going over the area that I just polished.

I have noticed that when applying the GW on the shady side of the car, that it applys easier and goes further than on the sunny side so, working in the shaded are is probably the way to go. This will make the whole job easier I'm sure and will probably waste less product too!

In my experience with lightly weathered paint, a good couple of 2-3 applications of, oh let's say N-F, will greatly remove the oxydation or weathered look of the paint and help bring out a shine of some kind. But as you mentioned, leaves white residue in chips/scratches.

I used to use N-F on my FIL '92 Blue S-10 pickup in Florida once a year. Then it'd never get waxed again til I went down to FL the next year and did it again. The S-10 was all oxydized again, sitting in the FL sun all year. When I applyed the N-F in FL on his S-10(about 5 coats) just on the top portions of the truck(hood/roof) in order to make it "POP", the truck looked great! I would only apply N-F to the sides of the truck in one application as the sides of a vehicle don't weather as badly as the top portions, even in FL. I would visit FL when we owned our little home there and we would stay for about a month & a half just after our winter while spring was arriving...It was great!

Although, a couple of coats of E1GW may infact help the paint "POP" but, I don't think the GW has any abrasives for that purpose, you'd have to try it! And too, a nice detail type product would keep the car looking bright after washings and between waxings. It's quick and easy.

Last edited:
Just wanted to post here saying I picked up a bottle of this stuff for $3.50 at O'reilly parts. Should be interesting to see how it works on the camry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back