Going to try Linux for the first time - Linux Mint

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a new laptop and I love it. Running Windows 7, after my old laptop died. This leaves my 5-7 year old desktop, Celeron processor, windows XP, I did upgrade it to 4gig ram and a half decent for the time video card to replace the onboard video. It's become slow as [censored] probably from all the accumulated bloatware, spywhare, and what ever othe kinds of pain-in-the-rear-ware and I no longer need it now, so it can be a project computer. It's new enough to work for this, and I was told that Linux mint is one of the easiest distros for a noob. Never spent so much as a minute on a Linux computer, it's just finished downloading and I'm going to install it. I'm not going to put anything critical on here so if changing to another version of Linux strikes my fancy I will, I've been told by everyone that takes the time to learn Linux inside out that they'd never go back to windows. It's my intent in fact to try many differenrt distros on this PC while using my laptop as my main computer, find the linux distro I like best, and if I do end up preferring it to Windows then when I get a new desktop (I intend to build my own, just decked out with all the good stuff) once I pay down all my debts, it won't come with an OS installed and unless I'm one of the rare ones that prefers windows, I'll know just what distro to use and how to set it up right. The one I have now wil be my practice machine.

Anyway to get to the point before my rambling makes you give up on reading
smile.gif
Please school me on Linux. is Mint really the best starter distro for a guy with zero linux experience?
Will I really like linux more than windows, I'm not a super computer geek but I know my way around, I was writing programs foi

or fun my QBasic that came with MS-DOS 5 when I was like 8 years old just for fun, what distros should I try, what are you more seasoned linux users running, and what would you recommend for me in a year or so when I build my power PC, I plan to get the fastest processor, HUGE RAM, real fast HDD, top of the line video, motherboard etc I'm planning to spend 3-5 grand on it and until I can afford that I'm just gonna go without. And is Linux really the best choice for that type of system? How is it for gaming? Any good links you guys can point me to to learn from start to finish>

Anyone who read to the end of this looooong post must take a big interest in the topic and I'd appreciate any knowledege and experience you guys can pass on.

I have been running Gentoo Linux on my laptops and servers since about 2004 or so. I way prefer it in those apps over windows. I also like to use it on older hardware just like the machine you mentioned.
I wouldnt know the best starter disto since I started with Slackware and jumped straight to Stage 1 Gentoo installs.
However, most of my desktops run Windows. Thats because I like to play games and game support for linux is...lacking. Ive heard of diehard Linux people getting games to work using WINE or virtulization but it tends to be a big pain in the rear.

Yes. Linux Mint is awesome. I usually install it for people who have never used Linux before. It is so easy to get the hang of.

I'm currently using Ubuntu (because I like playing with different OS), but thinking about going back to Mint once they upgrade to the new version of Mint.

I'm one of those guys who will never go back to M$. You can find an alternative to nearly everything that M$ has to offer FOR FREE.

Pidster, Mint is a good distro for a beginner and will run "out of the box" on most hardware. Your older desktop will have no problem with hardware support with one exception, full hardware acceleration might not be supported on the video card... which really doesn't matter for most things.

I fiddled with it on an old Inspiron 6000 (circa 2005) and everything worked (accept the full hardware acceleration on the ATI card).

One thing that should be noted (before you go tossing this on your laptop in a dual-boot configuration sometime in the future) is that as far as power conservation goes, Mint (or any Linux distro for that matter) will never approach the power management ability of Windows or OSX. Without getting too far into the technical side, there are numerous background processes (such as different ways the journaling file systems in Linux work - e.g. timestamp updates) that prevents Linux from allowing the CPU to drop into its lowest power state as quickly or for as long as Windows or OSX will. You can somewhat fix these issues (or at least reduce their impact) by spending a lot of time piddling around in the command line. But even then its only "somewhat" of a fix.

Now, one thing I would like to address regarding the "FOR FREE" samurai mentioned. Yes there are many free alternatives for much of what MS and Apple have to offer on the software side. However, much of it pales in comparison to the functionality/capability/stability of the paid for software (not the OS, but the actual programs you will be using). GIMP is still horrible regarding its interface. There isn't a decent Linus video editor, etc. If all you plan on doing is some web browsing and light office doc work, Linux will suit your needs fine. Many of the good free programs available on Linux are also ported to Windows with as good if not better functionality.

The other aspect of "free" is how much to you value your time? Spending hours trying to get something finally set up to work "just right" or "as best as possible" (the aforementioned power management for example) is frustrating.

That being said, Mint will work well for you and is preferred for new users because it comes with many "non-free" (i.e. patented) codecs and other bits that allow out of the box multimedia capability without having to track down the software in some package manager. Its sometimes frowned upon in the Linux "purists" community because of this and may or may not infringe on some copyrights because of this.

Last edited:
Linux Mint will serve you well on your desktop.

Thanks in part to Mark Shuttleworth's efforts starting Ubuntu Linux based on Debian & Ubuntu (there is also a Debian Version of Linux Mint) there has been tremendous strides in desktop Linux. For a new user I recommend the Ubuntu based version.

As you are aware Linux Mint is based on Debian and has the all the plug-ins and Codces already installed and has become the 2nd most desktop distribution behind Ubuntu.

Linux Mint also has a more familiar desktop and uses Firefox as the default web browser. Email program is Thunderbird. I use Google Chrome as a web browser in Linux (am running the Debian distribution on my desktop, laptop, & netbook).

As far as power management goes with the laptop and netbook I have shut off some nonessential services as many Windows users do. Have no complaints with battery life.

Linux Mint also should have the drivers for your video card.

Try jolicloud...kidds will like it...its linux but nice interface....I had linux mint...but jolicloud is way to go..

just dont get frustrated if you cant figure out how to do something.. google is your best friend

I am in the same position as Pidster: Long time lurker over Linux (even downloaded Ubuntu 9.04), but never got the guts, in my case, to put in on my computer.

As contrary as you, I only have one computer, so I am afraid to mess up everything.

So, from what I understand, I could install Ubuntu on my C: drive and at the next start, I will have the choice to start either with Windows or Linux?

If I start with Linux, can I still have access to MS Outlook, Word, and Excel, or will I have to deal with their Linux equivalent?

After the above mentioned softwares, the most important for me is VLC which read every movie formats. Will it run under Linux?

Sorry for the newby questions, but that is why I am still with Windows XP (2004 computer).

Yup you can use VLC in Linux as well as MAC O/S. I use it in both Linux and Windows.

Linux uses a program called OpenOffice or an offshoot version called LibreOffice. See link below.

Link To LibreOffice

There are also free Windows and MAC O/S versions.

You can access your NTFS or FAT32 Windows Partition and open - use files created by MS Office.

I recommend that you backup your computer to an external USB hard drive before installing not that you should have any issues but having a good backup is important even if you don't install Linux. A good free one can be found at the web site below.

Link To Free Backup Software

It requires free registration. Make sure that you make the emergency boot CD.

This backup software will also backup and restore Linux so after getting things setup do another backup.

You will need to only make the emergency recovery CD once.

Originally Posted By: Pesca

As contrary as you, I only have one computer, so I am afraid to mess up everything.

So, from what I understand, I could install Ubuntu on my C: drive and at the next start, I will have the choice to start either with Windows or Linux?

As a starter you should not try to install linux on a computer where you want to retain Windows. If it is a desktop, acquire a spare drive, disconnect the Windows disk and install the spare and use that; Windows and linux can be colocated on a disk, but I would not recommend your trying to do this as a beginner.

The people who blow up their Windows machines either did not know what they were doing, or didn't bother reading anything presented on the screen during the Linux install. Linux assumes you know what you are doing, Windows assumes you don't.

Quote:

If I start with Linux, can I still have access to MS Outlook, Word, and Excel, or will I have to deal with their Linux equivalent?

You cannot run native Windows programs under linux except if you use WINE (not a beginner task either) Why would you want to run these, there are many alternatives to choose from.

To encourage you to try, i will tell you that a Linux mint install is faster and easier than a Windows install (which most people have never done) Click Timezone, English, USA, use the whole disk and come back to a fully operational computer with all your applications already installed.

Last edited:
I was a total newb/beginner and I ran windows XP and Ubuntu dual boot without any problems - did a lot of reading and i felt like i knew what I was doing.

It took me a few months (and an intermittent bsod - unrelated to Ubuntu being on it) to move to a full install of Ubuntu on the laptop, and tweak/configure it to my liking...there IS a learning curve, but it's very doable for a beginner, IM0. If I can do it, most should be able to.

I'd say go for it.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: Pesca

As a starter you should not try to install linux on a computer where you want to retain Windows. If it is a desktop, acquire a spare drive, disconnect the Windows disk and install the spare and use that; Windows and linux can be colocated on a disk, but I would not recommend your trying to do this as a beginner.

Thanks for the advice. In fact I still have my old drive (40Gb) from my previous computer, so I could use it for that purpose.
What is the procedure?
You install the spare in the computer as slave, install Linux on it, turn off the computer, disconnect the windows drive and put the spare as master?

Another option is my old laptop (2001) but I am not sure if it is powerful enough anymore to handle new stuff,... but I run Windows XP on it right now, so it should be good, right?
Quote:

You cannot run native Windows programs under linux except if you use WINE (not a beginner task either) Why would you want to run these, there are many alternatives to choose from.

Fear of the unknown, learning a new way to do things I am so used to do easily.
Looks like I am getting old, I start to think like my father
smile.gif

Quote:

You install the spare in the computer as slave, install Linux on it, turn off the computer, disconnect the windows drive and put the spare as master?

No, first download the Ubuntu or Linux Mint install ISO and burn it to a CD. Then remove the Windows drive completely and make the drive you want to install it on the master;

Change the BIOS to boot from the CD first and away you go.

If you take 97tbirds advice you could always install it on the spare drive first for a test run, then if you like it, do an install next to your Windows partition. I don't run Windoze @ all, so I don't want to coach you on something I haven't done.

you can also run linux mint from a flash drive.
one of those 10$ 4GB models works fine.

maybe mess around with that for abit before deciding what you want to do.

I'm a fan of the new Ubuntu interface(11.04, but if you're looking for something more traditional, you can still download their LTS version.10.04.

I prefer to use a USB drive, but you can use a CD as well. It should give you the option to install alongside your existing Windows partition, it would be a good idea to do a Windows defrag before you start.

Make sure to install the proprietary drivers and codecs.(11.04 has a check box on install) Ubuntu should run fine on that machine. I have a 5 year old Compaq running Ubuntu and it does great. I bought my Dad a 5 year old cheap Dell with a Pentium 4 and a Gig of RAM. He's been running 10.04 and it does well, even on a pitiful PCI(not PCI-e) graphics card.

Remember you can install most open source software through the software center, but you can also install .deb files on any Debian based system.(Ubuntu, Mint) I like to install Picasa and Chrome.

Quote:

No, first download the Ubuntu or Linux Mint install ISO and burn it to a CD. Then remove the Windows drive completely and make the drive you want to install it on the master;

Change the BIOS to boot from the CD first and away you go.

Thanks for all the help simple_gifts. Since I have an old spare drive, I will use it for the fun of it.
Will try to put Ubuntu on a USD drive. If not, I will burn another CD (Already have the Ubuntu 9.04 bootable CD).

What is the most easiest, fastest version to install? 9.04 that I already have, 10.10 or the new 11.04?
Is it easier to install the Mint version, or the Ubuntu or Debian version?

I would say 11.04, I liked that you can pick to install propritery codecs and drivers and it will work good. You will need a program called Ubootnet or similar to write the iso to your usb drive, a 1GB will work fine. Depending on your graphics card, you may not get Unity, because of the generic drivers.

Below is a link to UNetbootin.

Link To Unetbootin

Where you can make a bootable USB Drive. I have used it countless time installing Linux on a computer like a Netbook, etc.

You can also use the following link to create a Persistent (save your settings, etc.,) using a Thumb Drive. In other words you can boot off a Thumb Drive and install stuff. Setup your browser with bookmarks, an email program like Thunderbird, etc., and when you shutdown it will save everything just like a hard drive. I have a 4 gig thumb drive I use sometimes when I travel and it works great. Just remember to go through a regular shutdown BEFORE removing the drive.

Link To Web Site

I am using a 4 Gig Thumb Drive with some extra programs loaded and still have plenty of room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back