2005 altima SER steering issues HELP! HELP! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my steering wheel problem: about month ago everytime I make slow big left turn when I am driving. The steering wheel just start making creaking noise, but if I make a right turn, no noise at all. I went to many shops and dealers. Most of the local shops said creaking noise from steering column and noise seems to be originating somewhere around where steering column passes through firewall. The dealer said need to change the rack and control arms which total cost almost $3000! BTW they have attempted lubrication several times but not remedial and no obvious worn or loose components, no technical service bulletins for this problem. They told they just did not know how to fix this problem. I can not sleep very well these days. HELP ME please!

Have you posted this same question on an Alitma forum to see what others say that own the same exact car ?

If it costs $3000 to repair, I would get rid of the car ASAP.

Just give it up. Live with it until it shows you what is really wrong. This is not dangerous or life threatening. Wish my car only had one noise issue.

BTW: Most often noise while turning right or left has something to do with the CV joints on the front drive axle.

Last edited:
When it gets over 100 degrees here in Texas my 2001 Ford Taurus does the same thing.

I have greased part of a boot and that helps quiet it down, but once it gets hot enough the grease works its way out and it comes back.

Stealerships are trying to guess and charge you for EVERYTHING that could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Have you posted this same question on an Alitma forum to see what others say that own the same exact car ?

LOL
If it costs around $3k, I'd get a 2nd opinion and revise that number.

Nothing should ever cost more than a thousand bucks to fix, if the rack is that expensive, buy a used one.

$3k is FAR more than I paid for my previous 3 cars combined, they must love when people actually pay that much for something.

Quote:
LOL
If it costs around $3k, I'd get a 2nd opinion and revise that number.

Nothing should ever cost more than a thousand bucks to fix.....
lol.gif
OT Unless one owns/owned an 02-03 2.5L Altima, then one can expect to pay ~$5k for a new engine when the precat pukes and destroys the engine.

To the OP, sorry for your issue, sounds like another Nissan dandy. I hope the drut's at Nissan give you more help then they gave me and all the rest of the 02-03 Altima owners. But, based on my experience I wouldn't bet on it.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

Nothing should ever cost more than a thousand bucks to fix

Thats a bit naive, dont you think? You should see some of the bills people walk out of the shop that i work at with...

Originally Posted By: mattd

Thats a bit naive, dont you think? You should see some of the bills people walk out of the shop that i work at with...

I agree with SLCraig, nothing should cost as much, just because people are falling for these prices does not make it right. Lack of knowledge from general public on how much things should cost to repair, only compounds the problem. That's why you see 1000 dollar brake jobs that are done with the cheapest Chinese parts.

What the counter guy, trying all the scare tactics just to get his commission doesn't see is that perhaps some of his customers are spending their last dime just so they can have a car to go to work.

I'm sure some will be quick to reply that if someone can't afford the repairs they should not be driving, I bet that's what the counter guy tells himself as well, so that he can easily sleep at night, but the reality is very different.

1000 is that sweet spot with the repair bills. You either try to keep it in that area, or you might as well just go right up to $3k.

Signed,
Your dealership service advisor

there are many things that will cost more than 1000$ to fix...[censored], even some blocked services (105K for example) will come to much more than that...

Honda 105K V6 vehicles
Timing Belt+tensioner
valve adjustment
spark plugs
transmission service
differential service (where applicable)
and various things to check.

Now, this alone will add to much more than 1000$ with labor and all gaskets/seals needed. Now, what if the vehicle needs more than this? Brakes? F/E work? Struts? I feel that your view is a little unrealistic...IMO

I agree with you on the fact that places should not charge 1K$ for 4-wheel brake jobs with chinese parts...as it is a rip off. But there will be things that will cost MUCH more than this to repair...even on some lower mileage vehicles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

My mechanic quoted $2K for replacing the rack and PS pump. I quickly got rid of my maxima (Trade in value $1250). I could dump it as it had 197K on the odo but that may not be in ur case....

Nissan -----------. Period. They are trouble...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: mattd

A co-worker of mine just dropped 1600 bucks for 4 wheel brakes/rotors and four new tires on an 03 Malibu. unbelievable.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

A co-worker of mine just dropped 1600 bucks for 4 wheel brakes/rotors and four new tires on an 03 Malibu. unbelievable.

There are so many of those folks who hate to get under...$1600 unbelieveable, the car may be worth around that (specially american vehicles).

4 sets of pads ($100), 4 sets of rotors ($400), 1Q of brake fluid ($5), he definetly spent good $s for labor which seems like a rip off..

Hey this is America, we have to rip each other to keep the wars going right...

Originally Posted By: lairdwd
1000 is that sweet spot with the repair bills. You either try to keep it in that area, or you might as well just go right up to $3k.

Signed,
Your dealership service advisor
Good point. Easy to hit $1000 at the stealership. Though the 3k sounds high, when using all new Nissan replacement parts, it could very easily run that total up with labor included.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
My mechanic quoted $2K for replacing the rack and PS pump. I quickly got rid of my maxima (Trade in value $1250). I could dump it as it had 197K on the odo but that may not be in ur case....

Nissan ----------.. Period. They are trouble...
crackmeup2.gif
Another satisfied former Nissan owner. At least yours made it 197k, mine didn't even make it 90k. Can't disagree with your assessment.

My BIL was in town and as usual rented a premium luxury car. So he got his G37 to my home and then we were undecided ES350 or a G37. My wife drove the G37 and it was pretty rough and then my turn to open the hood and see what was under it. First off this vehicle is as bad as any german vehicle, one cannot stick a finger inside for doing anything.

That was my tipping point, she didn't like the ride and I hated the fact I couldn't see/feel anything under the hood other that the massive engine. ES350 was the choice, then I opened the hood and man there is so much space, there is a good 9" between the engine and firewall. I could see the entire PS rack, quite impressed.

Anyway drove home a satin cashmere ES350 for $38K w/ navigation.

Nissan/Infinity are cool vehicles to drive but they are a maintainence nightmare like our fellow german counterparts.

Funny you should mention the G37. My son purchased a new 2010 G37S. This was before my precat puked in my 03 Altima. It likely wouldn't have made any difference though, as the Infiniti is what he really wanted. I'm helping him pick oil and filter, PP/P1 and an OCI, 3750-5k 'for now'. Just hoping lightning doesn't strike twice in the same family. Salt over shoulder/ knock wood, etc.

Congrats on your new ES350. Based on what you've posted regarding the Maxi, sounds like you took it as far as you could. Enjoy.

Lucky for you. Many report issues, and the cars are not well known for longevity. It's probably only magnified by the net, where even one or two bad apples get a lot of press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back