47% of Detroit is functionally illiterate

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/study-finds-47-of-detroit-residents-are-functionally-illiterate/

Quote:
According to a new report, 47 percent of Detroiters are ”functionally illiterate.” The alarming new statistics were released by the Detroit Regional Workforce Fund on Wednesday.

WWJ Newsradio 950 spoke with the Fund’s Director, Karen Tyler-Ruiz, who explained exactly what this means.

“Not able to fill out basic forms, for getting a job — those types of basic everyday (things). Reading a prescription; what’s on the bottle, how many you should take… just your basic everyday tasks,” she said.

“I don’t really know how they get by, but they do. Are they getting by well? Well, that’s another question,” Tyler-Ruiz said.

And:
Quote:
The report notes that half of the illiterate population has either a high school diploma or a GED. That’s beside the point. Virtually the entire illiterate population has completed elementary school, the level at which reading is theoretically taught. That’s seven years of schooling (k-6), at a cost of roughly $100,000, for… nothing.

crazy2.gif

I find it impossible to respond to this in any sort of way that satisfies me without violating the board rules...

I don't think this is limited to Detroit. There is a definite link between poverty and a lack of education. It's the exact same thing in rural Appalachia.

I have heard if you eliminate the Arab influx, that number is even higher. Hopefully Detroit will have better days ahead. There are a lot of kids without full time parents and the school system is so corrupt the administrators would rather line their pockets than educate.

I'm not surprised.
The inner city neighborhoods in NYC probably have similar percentages. Even those who speak english as a first language do not communicate very well. It's sad.

If somebody were to go through the list of BITOGers, the percentage would be even higher than 47% :)

- Vikas"why am I throwing stones from my glass house??"

Originally Posted By: Trav
The scary part of having a large illiterate population is every one of them can vote!
+1

I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no possible way to intelligently discuss this topic without delving heavily into non forum friendly local politics.

A brief glimpse at a small portion of the problem....

You Tube Link...No Comments

The inner City of Detroit is the poster child for the American entitlement mentality. How it started, why it started and how it is is propagated by it's proponents are topics that will earn me a quick vacation. If the video doesn't already do the trick.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no possible way to intelligently discuss this topic without delving heavily into non forum friendly local politics.

A brief glimpse at a small portion of the problem....

You Tube Link...No Comments

The inner City of Detroit is the poster child for the American entitlement mentality. How it started, why it started and how it is is propogated by it's proponents are topics that will earn me a quick vacation. If the video doesn't already do the trick.

Good post!

Oh here we go with the righty nonsense. I guess I better check out of this thread pronto.

What an absolute non sequitur that was! But I guess when you have an axe to grind...

I have read that over 50% of the USA is illiterate. It didn't say whether that was English illiterate or any language illiterate. I can imagine many of the legal and illegal immigrants in this country cannot read and write English, but from seeing all the Asian, Spanish, Indian, Eastern European, and Middle Eastern magazines and newspapers in this country, I think they are literate in their own language. I asked an English teacher at a small junior college if she thought the USA was over 50% illiterate, and she said yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back