Canadian Fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be making a trip to northern New England this summer, and I plan on crossing a portion of Canada (Ontario and Quebec) during the trip.

My car requires at least 92 octane. I've been in Canada plenty of times before, but I never paid attention. Is this fuel widely available in Canada? What is the going price right now?

Petro Canada is the only place you can get 94 (Used to be Sunoco)
I would go with Shell V-power next which is apparently the next best thing. It's 91. Prepare to spend a buck 50 or more per litre on premium here. Gas is about 20-30% more here, depending on the area.

Wow, I was prepared for the extra 20-30% as I've known Canada's fuel prices to be high..

But really, 1.50$ extra per liter for premium? That might change my mind on going the northern route.

Or fill up before you cross. Depending on how far you travel, and how far you can go on a tank of gas, you might not even need to gas up here at all.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: navcanman
not a $1.50 extra per litre expect to pay up to $1.50 per litre about $5.40 per US gallon..............
^^^^^^^^^ What he said. 89 octane at Petro-Canada is $1.40 per liter.

I filled up last night with Esso 91. It was 151.3 per liter.

This is $5.74 per US gallon. Enjoy.

I used to have a car which called for AKI 93 fuel. I would usually run Sunoco 94 in it, but I also found that Esso 92 would run fine without retarding the timing. Esso's premium is now 91 in my area, but my advice from experience with fuel in Ontario is that Esso 91 may meet your requirements just fine. It seems to be "underrated" and has been for years. Any of the other 92s available in my area at the time would cause timing to retard (based on brief bits of knocking I heard which the ECU then dialed back).

I've generally observed that all of the 94 AKI fuels do indeed have a high AKI, but they don't get the best fuel economy or performance because it's heavy on additives instead of "94 AKI worth" of pure octane. YMMV of course.

Last edited:
It's not $1.50 per litre. It will be about $1.70/ U.S gallon
more when you factor the exchange rate.
Here is my example from last Saturday. I've been buying my
gas in the U.S. These prices will be higher than your used
to because I'm in a tourist area. Here goes. I filled up
with Mobil Super, 13.26 gallons @ $4.299 for $57.00 U.S.
Here in Canada, Super was going for around $1.55/litre.
Since there is 3.78 litre/ U.S. gallon then the 13.26 gallons
I put in at Mobil would of cost me (50.12litres x 1.55)
$77.69 in Canada. For you in Canada with exchange rate of say
3%, super will be about $6.00/U.S. gallon at todays price.
Remember this is based on where I live. So if you know the
distance you'll be covering in Canada and your miles/gallon,
then you should be able to calculate what the extra cost will be. I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back