Escape/Tribute V-6 owners....size of drainplug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking for what size wrench (15mm, 17mm...etc..) is needed for the engine oil drainplug on a 2003 Tribute with the duratec 3.0L V-6. Tranny drainplug would be great as well.

Thanks guys!

It's a 15mm on the VVT Duratec 30. Your non-VVT should be the same.

You'll probably want a cap-type filter wrench to get the oil filter off if the Tribute's exhaust is like the 6's. Kinda' wrapped around the filter.

Honestly don't remember a drain plug on the CD4E transmission. Doesn't mean there isn't one....I just don't remember.
21.gif

That's great - same size plug as the wrench needed for my 2002 Cavalier!

Maybe it's just me, but when I do OC's, I've never found a wrench helps to get the filter off. I can almost always get the filter off with my hands easier, even if it takes a bit of twisting.

They MC oil up here, but only at Ford dealerships. I'm also not 100% sure that the MC they sell up here is the same as what they sell in the US - I've read on here that 'our' Motorcraft oil is made by Imperial/Esso; NOT C-P.

If I really wanted that oil, I'd be beter off buying some Kendall GT-1 syn-blend - it's availiable at some locations for a decent price.

Besides that, I'm thinking of going full-synthetic on this engine...yeah, like a BITOG'er, I'm constantly mulling this one over. Planning on changing the oil at the end of May, so we'll see what happens then!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
... I can almost always get the filter off with my hands easier, even if it takes a bit of twisting.

Don't slip! the exhaust manifold is right there! * looks of scar/brand from catalytic converter trying to remove a Honda filter sans wrench

The trans drain plug is a pipe plug use a 3/8 short extension on your ratchet the square end fits the plug.

It's hard to get a proper hand grip on the filter in it's location near the manifold. Expect to get lots of oil on the manifold as well.

Yes, IIRC, it's 15mm. Let engine cool about 30 minutes before removing filter. Or, wear long sleeves and gloves -- which will get covered in hot oil. I got burned (literally) the first time. Many do a dump & fill of tranny fluid (

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back