Gas Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard on the new`s last night that Gas prices are supposed to hit the big $4.00 mark by the end of the week! This sucks.

I use premium. That has been at or above $4.00/gal for several weeks now....

As I understand, it's because of rising demand plus speculation. Makes sense.

You are lucky there in PA. We have been at 4.00 plus for about 6 weeks here in Illinois. 4.12 this am here in Southern Illinois, 3.99 across the bridge in Saint Louis, Mo. STL is always cheaper, less state tax.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I use premium. That has been at or above $4.00/gal for several weeks now....

As I understand, it's because of rising demand plus speculation. Makes sense.

Yeah, and you have to run premium too right? In your BMW?

In several parts of the country it is already headed to the $5.00 mark. Back in Wisconsin it is running @ $4.09 where I am from.

Futures market watchers are predicting a small drop in prices then a spike before the Summer driving season that is fast approaching.

Ever growing demand in other countries.

Not sure about the prices where you live, but out here, we've had $4+ gas for a long time now. We're at about $4.50 right now for regular.

$4.50 for regular??
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114
$4.50 for regular??
shocked.gif

We are at 4.30 (as of yesterday I haven't looked yet today) for regular. A couple of "cheap" places are about 4.25

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
$4.50 for regular??
shocked.gif

We are at 4.30 (as of yesterday I haven't looked yet today) for regular. A couple of "cheap" places are about 4.25

We are at $4.30 for regular in Indiana. For premium I paid $4.58. That [fill in your favorite censored word] 20 mpg Audi and 650 miles/week drive in it is killing us.

I've switched my 300 miles/week commute to my Civic and my Z4 is sitting in the garage.

The collapse will come soon enough, and prices will drop.

At $4.11 national average, the house of cards fell apart in 2008, and it will happen again.

In fact, it will happen HARDER this time around, b/c employment was a lot stronger in 2008 before the collapse. Add a still-weak economy with over-heated energy prices, and there is NOWHERE to go but down.

$4.50 for regular??
shocked.gif

Yup. Illinois has some of the highest gas prices in the country... Some places in Chicago are as high as $4.70.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

If it's any consolation, our prices are still nowhere near as high as in Europe. I've got family in Eastern Europe where they pay more than $7/gallon, and they don't make as much as we make over here. And it's about $9/gallon in the UK right now, from what I've seen.

Last edited:
With my 2010 Fusion 3.0 averaging 30.7 mpg on rural/mountain/freeway trips, I'm not concerned with the current fuel prices. Friends presently in Italy report gas prices there are in excess of $8.00/gallon.

Originally Posted By: Dartlover
Yep,sad part is there really is no reason

There is at least one reason...gas is bought with US dollars. The US dollar is not as strong as it usually is, so it takes more $$ to buy gas..and the expenses are passed down to the consumer.

Not sure if things will be the same as 2008 either, the world is in a lot worse shape economically and there are more wars (with oil countries) going on now than there were previously. Also Chinas increased consumption since 2008 brings up demand....

....the weird thing is OPEC says there is an abundance of oil in the market, so its cut back production...which brings costs....up??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Not sure if things will be the same as 2008 either, the world is in a lot worse shape economically and there are more wars going on now than there were previously. Also Chinas increased consumption since 2008 brings up demand....

I tend to agree. Moreover, we as a consumer population have now become more accustomed to higher gas prices (whereas it was a total shock in 2008) so there is less of a public outcry about it now. People still don't like it, but I see them just slowly coming to terms with it.

People may very well come to terms with higher prices, but economic activity will have to slow, as more consumer money goes to gas and energy, and not to discretionary spending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back