Considering a Previous Gen Ford Explorer......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I haven't had much time here recently to do a lot of research but my mother is considering getting a replacement for the Rendezvous. We went to a Ford dealer the other day and she test drove a 2010 Explorer and she really liked it. I've got a few questions:

1) How reliable is the last gen Explorer?
2) Are there any major problems that may come about later in the life of the vehicle?
3) What gas milage is the average person getting?
4) Is the basic preventative maintenance fairly easy (OC, ATF, rear diff, filters etc.)?

Thanks!

A co-worker had an '06 or similar era one. The SOHC V-6 engine had a very loud timing chain system and eventually lost a head gasket at about 150,000 miles. He understands that valvetrain issues are common on those engines.

I don't know how common that problem really is. But for as new as a 2010 model, I'm sure it'd run well for a long time.

Rear diff's were a problem in at least the earlier years('02-'03), don't know if they made a fix for the later years.

I have a 99 Ranger with the older 4.0 OHV, 2WD. Some of the early years of the SOHC did have timing chain rattle but that was supposedly solved.

Mine has been overall a good truck. A few problems including my manual trans starting to go, but they aren't the best. The newer 5 speed autos are supposed to be very good.

Don't expect good mileage with the 4.0, but they tend to be reliable. Maintenance on mine is pretty easy. 4.0 will have 8.8 rear end which is rock solid.

The 4.0 V6 is a good engine. The timing chain issues were well worked out by 2004. Plan on getting about 17 mpg with either engine. A 2010 will have a dipstick-less transmission-check out this thread on how to refill it: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118654
My aunt has a 2008 with V8. It's an extremely nice vehicle, leaps and bounds better than my 94 in terms of interior comfort, ride quality, power, and overall build quality. It has about 100k miles with no problems that I'm aware of.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
If you get one, I suggest getting one with the V8.
+1 Son had a 4.6L 05 XLT 2WD bought new. Put about 65K on it before trading it for a G37. Had no issues, just regular maintenance.

Personally glad he got the V8, the engine seemed more refined/quieter than the 4.0L. Difference in mpg between the two is negligible.

Edit No trans dipstick in engine compartment.

Last edited:
We have a 4.6L Merc Mountaineer AWD and it averages 13MPG in town and about 18.5 on the highway. With these gas prices, it stays parked often.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
We have a 4.6L Merc Mountaineer AWD and it averages 13MPG in town and about 18.5 on the highway. With these gas prices, it stays parked often.

I have 2006 4.0 it drinks gas like crazy. The best I ever got out of it on a trip was 19.8 mpg. It's been reliable (66,000 miles)but it will be my last gas hog.

The MPG is abysmal according to the few owners I know who have them. 13mpg is the norm with them running mostly city.

She likely will get a 4-5MPG drop compared to her former vehicle. Definitely not a good move considering the current fuel prices and likely trend.

Yeah that's the problem is gas. That's why I wanted to see what others were getting. I knew it couldn't be the greatest.

We are going to hit the Kia, Hyundai, Honda and Subaru place next.

She wants to try out the Kia Sorento/Hyundai Santa Fe, last gen Pilot (new one is too expensive), and the Subaru Outback.

I never thought I would say this, but Kia is making some very nice looking vehicles.

The older Sorento, in spite of being a good 4X4 (real, not soft roader) looked like a cheap car. Like the kind of stuff you see on a Chinese car. The current one is really nice.

If you are considering a crossover like the Sorento or Pilot, maybe also check out the Ford Edge or Mazda CX9. Or you can always wait for the 8 speed on the Durango.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple

Ouch...

My wife and I are on our 2nd Explorer. The first was a 2005 4.0.

1) Very reliable. The 4th generation (06-10) was relatively trouble free. Most of the issues were on 06/07 model years. The 2 main problems were leaky radiators on the 4.0, and problems with the power-fold 3rd row seat. Basically the gears would strip out and you would lose the power fold feature.

2) No major problems. Both drivetrains have been around for awhile and are well proven. The timing chain tensioner problems on the 4.0 are from 98-01 and were fixed for model year 02. Most people just blurt out timing chain problems without knowing anything about it. Ignore these people. If you want more information on this just PM me.

3)We average 21 mpg in mostly rural/hwy driving with our 2010 4.0 2wd. We got the same mileage with our 2005 4.0. The city mpg is pretty bad which is another good reason to not live in the city. (I hate the city)

4)Yes. Oil changes are cake. No body panels to remove and plenty of room to work. The transmission is sealed. I get ours serviced at a transmission shop every 30,000 miles. I have never changed fluid on a rear axle. There are no cabin filters to change (I hate those).

We love our 2010. We looked at several "crossover" SUVs and were not impressed. Small, short seats, and large overall dimensions with cramped interiors. The 4th gen Explorer is still relatively tall & narrow compared to crossovers. My wife and I both being tall much prefer that setup over short & wide crossovers. The seats seem to follow the body shape as well. The 3rd row seat in the Explorer is nearly as comfortable as the 1st and 2nd row. I have ridden back there myself several times and I am 6 feet 210 pounds. That said, its still a truck with a truck frame and suspension that is made to carry and tow big loads. It rides great for this category (the 4th gen rides/drives much better than the 3rd gen) but it certainly does not ride like a car.

Any more questions let me know.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
My wife and I are on our 2nd Explorer. The first was a 2005 4.0.

1) Very reliable. The 4th generation (06-10) was relatively trouble free. Most of the issues were on 06/07 model years. The 2 main problems were leaky radiators on the 4.0, and problems with the power-fold 3rd row seat. Basically the gears would strip out and you would lose the power fold feature.

2) No major problems. Both drivetrains have been around for awhile and are well proven. The timing chain tensioner problems on the 4.0 are from 98-01 and were fixed for model year 02. Most people just blurt out timing chain problems without knowing anything about it. Ignore these people. If you want more information on this just PM me.

3)We average 21 mpg in mostly rural/hwy driving with our 2010 4.0 2wd. We got the same mileage with our 2005 4.0. The city mpg is pretty bad which is another good reason to not live in the city. (I hate the city)

4)Yes. Oil changes are cake. No body panels to remove and plenty of room to work. The transmission is sealed. I get ours serviced at a transmission shop every 30,000 miles. I have never changed fluid on a rear axle. There are no cabin filters to change (I hate those).

We love our 2010. We looked at several "crossover" SUVs and were not impressed. Small, short seats, and large overall dimensions with cramped interiors. The 4th gen Explorer is still relatively tall & narrow compared to crossovers. My wife and I both being tall much prefer that setup over short & wide crossovers. The seats seem to follow the body shape as well. The 3rd row seat in the Explorer is nearly as comfortable as the 1st and 2nd row. I have ridden back there myself several times and I am 6 feet 210 pounds. That said, its still a truck with a truck frame and suspension that is made to carry and tow big loads. It rides great for this category (the 4th gen rides/drives much better than the 3rd gen) but it certainly does not ride like a car.

Any more questions let me know.

I agree with everything here ( good info) except the gas mileage. I had a 2003 4.0 2wd and currently have a 2006 4.0 2wd. With easy driving I have never gotten better than 19.8 mpg on the interstate. That's with writing the mileage down and dividing it out etc. The on board computer shows a little more. 21 mpg? I wish.

My company used to rely heavily on Explorers (model years between '97 and '07) and put them through a lot of abuse and never really had much in the way of problems. Outside of oil changes, brakes, and tires, no other maintenance was consistently done.

We typically sold them off at around 150,000 - 175,000 miles. They were used for environmental surveys on active strip mines and quarries, so they were driven extremely hard.

The V8 gets better MPG than the V6, but you will never find one (in '10). Both are rated about 13/18 for 4x4. My dad bought a new Mounty last Fall. It's very nice, and he hasn't had any issues yet. My 08 Sport Trac (same vehicle) was great during the time I had it. Before it, I had 3 2nd Gen Explorers and they were great also. My dad did have an 02, and it was awful (first model year of 3rd gen). I would have confidence in the late model designs (07-10). Basically, stay clear of "first year of new design).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back