Better clean that mower deck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or another idea is to put the whole deck in a tank and electrolytically de-rust the tank.

Electrolytic de-rusting will blast off all the rust and the paint and only uses washing soda, water and a little juice from the battery charger. It is a little slow but it beats the heck out of scraping and sanding or dealing with stripper and etch acid.

I was thinking that a mower deck might be a good place for a coat of epoxy. That is a whole lot tougher than paint.

I saw a video on a couple of different sites that said if you don't want to repaint after rust removal to coat the bottom in used motor oil with a paintbrush. I'll probably use rubberized undercoating.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Today I decided to clean the bottom side of the mower deck on my 2007 John Deere LA110. I had never dropped and cleaned the deck before. It was an absolute MESS! This is the after picture, which shows how much rust was caused by 4 years of caked on grass.

It just occurs to me - does that mean that you've never sharpened the blades before either? (since you've never seen the mess)

I once "inherited" a riding mower that had to have been made at least in the late 1960's or before. Engine ran ok (a little low on power) but it didn't cut for [censored]. I dropped the deck and looked at the blades and they looked like airplane propellers, i.e. the blades were not flat at the ends but instead curved to an elliptical rounded over end. Took down the mower make and model # (some off brand I'd never heard of) and headed to the small engine shop nearby and bought new blades. When I compared the old blades to the new the old blades were about 2 inches shorter on each end. I suspect that these were the original blades, they had likely never been sharpened, and they had simply worn down over 30+ years of use, probably cutting a area with a lot of bare ground. I guess the previous owner figured that the factory sharpened the blades and he didn't need to.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back