SRT 6.1L Hemi oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey im new to the forums and was wondering what are my options for oils.

so heres the deal since ive had my car i had it serviced at the dodge dealership they would use M1 0w40 with a mopar filter (supposedly M1 was the only 0w40 that was up to chryslers SpecS)

well i havnt had a oil change there in year and i went back the other day and the service tech is now telling me that they use Pennzoil 5w40 full syn (i thought mobil one was the only one up to spec?? )

so considering chrysler just changes their mind on what oil the car uses, cant i just use any 5w40 full synthetic? i was thinking about castrol syn 5w40 with a K&N filter

2006 charger srt8- michigan\drive the car year round\drive it hard half the time\50 miles a day (alot of short drives)

Any advice would be appreciated

thanks

steve

I own an 08 Charger srt8 and stick with m1 0w40 with mopar or wix filters. The dealer may have changed oils but did Chrysler? I'm not so sure. Will it kill or hurt the car running 5w30? Probably not.

I guess it was something along the lines of a broken contract between M1 and Chrysler.

I havnt seen under the hood of a new srt, i wonder if their oil fill cap still says mobil 1

Last edited:
IMHO, using a 5w-40 oil should not cause problems.

If it's either of the full syn pennzoils, neither are bad at all.

(For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only recommends full synthetic engine oils that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) categories of SM or SM/CF, and meet the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-10725. The manufacturer recommends the use of a full synthetic engine oil, such as Pennzoil Platinum® European Formula SAE 5W-40 or equivalent.)

in my owners manual its mobil one 0w40 but as i stated if the dealership told me they will now put pennzoil 5w40 in my car, does it really even matter what 5w40 i use as long as its a full synthetic.

Does that MS-10725 standard even important?

OK, there's two points here:

Originally Posted By: SteveSrt1985
(For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only recommends full synthetic engine oils that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) categories of SM or SM/CF, and meet the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-10725.
Note the bolded areas. That's exactly all you need to look for next time you change your oil....as long as it's got the API SM or SM/CF AS WELL AS (AND) the MS-10725 - you are in the clear.

But you need BOTH of those. Now, I'm not too familar with the various brands, and which "brands" meet the certain MS requirements, so for that, you'd just have to go browsing
smile.gif

and secondly,
Quote:
Does that MS-10725 standard even important?
definitely. Especially while the car is under warranty, use only oil that specs that "standard" or you risk not being protected by your warranty.....so ya you need the SM/CF AND the MS-10725. The "kicker" is this, you will find MANY oils that "meet" the API SM or SM/CF label - but more than likely only a select few will meet the MS-10725 req.....

but from what it looks like that "spec" calls for a synthetic oil. If you do a google search for that spec you may find a list of approved oils...

As someone who has had an SRT8 since 2005 I have done a lot of oil related inquiry.

My manual specifically states 0w-40 and 5w-40. I also have a copy of a factory TSB allowing for 15w-50 in warmer climes. Synth is a must.

I even ran a sump full of 0w-30 once for grins. Add to that I spent a whole track day at Homestead with a guy who ran 0w-20!!!

The bottom line is despite the hype it's really just a big, loose american v8, very old school.

You can't beat the factory spec M1 0w-40.

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback... i havnt found many oils that meet that chrysler spec. i believe it was pennzoil and the factory mobil one. i mean im running ams oil in there now and havnt really had any problems with it

1 Quart SAE 5W-40 Pennzoil Platinum
SAE 5W-40 Pennzoil platinum European Formula Service Fill SRT8, 6.1L Service Fill SRT10, 8.3L, 8.4L Service Fill Crossfire & SRT6 Service Fill 2.8L diesel (KJ) 1 Quart (32 oz.) Bottle Part No. 05127394PA > this is straight from Mopar.

Toto.

My girlfriend uses mobil 1 0w40 in her charger srt/8, runs just fine. I think chrysler dropped mobil over a financial issue and not a performance one. Plus you can pick this stuff up pretty cheap at o'reillys on sale when its $4.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back