12 ga Tube Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about getting a 10 shot tube extension for my Winchester Ranger model 120.

Found a "Choate Winchester 1200/1300/120/Defender 10 Shot Extension, 12 ga., polished blue " on here for $59.00.

Anybody think there will be any issues with the shotgun functioning reliably?
They also sell spare springs, which makes me wonder how long they last...

Just make sure it comes with the proper extended spring. I wouldn't leave it loaded or use it for defensive purposes, but if you're doing it for competition or fun, then it'll be fine.

I was hoping it would work as well as the factory spring being kept loaded.

I thought the whole spring kept in compression will kill it myth died awhile ago. It's perfectly fine to leave magazines loaded (as long as the are dry and have corrosion protection) Is there something in particular about a shot shell tube spring that has a memory?

I have a Win 1300, so let us know if this works out!

I'm no expert, but the reading I've done seems to suggest that extended tube springs can wear out faster. Once you get down to the last few shells the push of the spring becomes weak enough that the shells move forward, away from the action, under recoil and have to fall back toward the action and come to rest on the shell stop before the next round may be chambered. In a rapid fire situation (probably not so much with a pump gun as with an auto) you run the risk of ejecting a round and not getting a new one cycled into the chamber. Apparently, this behavior increases as the springs age.

Again, I've never had one, but this is what I've heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back