What is 2-EHA, and does G-05 have it or Green?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G-05 would be an excellent choice, just get jugs that don't list 2-EHa in the ingredients.

Looking to buy some jugs of zerex G-05 and zerex conv green for my crown vics & lincolns. What is all the hype of 2-EHA and how do I know if the coolant has it?

Neither Zx G-05 or conv green would have 2-eha. MechX is the authority here but from reading here, 2eha in dexcool is known to be a plasticizer and has been held responsible for destruction of non compatible intake gaskets in some GM vehicles. Also known for gunk/goo/gel forming in those systems with non pressurized tanks.

Ironically though, Ford is going to be specing 2eha based (dexcool) coolant across the board in it's future cars. And, the all makes/models coolants (eg. Prestone) which dominate the auto parts stores is 2 eha based. (dexclones).

I have a feeling many auto parts manufacturers are getting tired of people dumping in those all makes all models coolants and creating issues within their cooling systems on non specced cars. Easiest way to solve this is to use that same coolant from the factory.
Perhaps Prestone was right all along....it is indeed all makes all models, once you've beaten the OEMs into submission and they all start using it :p.
Its also a lot cheaper IIRC...probably a BIG factor in the switch.

I was hoping they would keep using that fancy Mazda coolant, but alas they are going to dexcrap. One thing I will say is that in a proper system, the expansion tanks on Dexcool equipped cars seems to stay cleaner. On my focus, I had a scale buildup in my expansion tank within a few years, and its IMPOSSIBLE to clean with all the baffles. I must have tried every method in the book. G-05 seems to leave scaly [censored] behind...perhaps silicate dropout? Its a good coolant though...pity.

^ Exactly. Dexcool is cheap to make, and works well, provided the system was designed properly for it. If it wasn't, well, we know what happens then...

..i changed all my anti freeze to peak final charge phos,silicates,nitrites,borate free..and no 2eha..nitrites is reacting to the flux on the heater cores and exchangers.. one of the reasons ford not using go5 anymore ..they are going to the red long life

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
G-05 would be an excellent choice, just get jugs that don't list 2-EHa in the ingredients.

Looking to buy some jugs of zerex G-05 and zerex conv green for my crown vics & lincolns. What is all the hype of 2-EHA and how do I know if the coolant has it?

2-EHA is the particular organic acid that is used in DexCool and the "DexClones." It works well as a corrosion inhibitor, but its downside is that it attacks some gasket materials. This is what is believed to have caused the rampant lower intake manifold gasket failures in many GM engines. Its anybody's guess what 2-EHA will do to older engines, and depends on things like whether or not the coolant even contacts a susceptible gasket. Engines that pass coolant through the intake manifold gasket are much more susceptible than ones that dont, but since all engines pass coolant through the head gasket that may be a risk.

You likely won't see "2-EHA" anywhere on any antifreeze label, but you may see "ethyl hexanoates" in the ingredients list. "Ethyl hexanoates" generally means 2-ethyl-hexanoic acid, which is 2-EHA.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
..i changed all my anti freeze to peak final charge phos,silicates,nitrites,borate free..and no 2eha..nitrites is reacting to the flux on the heater cores and exchangers.. one of the reasons ford not using go5 anymore ..they are going to the red long life
What flux? You have to go back pretty far to even have OEM soldered copper/brass heater cores & radiators, and the flux should be removed before the part was installed (flux is EXTREMELY acidic)-Final Charge is one of the best diesel AFs, though.

alot of oe are moving away from nitrites..go5 leaves a white film of silicates...i agree bullwinkle peak final charge is one of the very best anti freezes...

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
alot of oe are moving away from nitrites..go5 leaves a white film of silicates...

Silicates == GOOD

The only reason AT ALL to get away from silicates is to push the coolant change interval out beyond 5 years, which is when silicates tend to start precipitating out. Other than that, you can get no better corrosion inhibitor than silicates, which is why I personally think a hybrid OAT coolant that still contains some silicates is the best compromise between long life and protection.

Yep. G-05 doesn't seem to leave [censored] in the system unless it's left in way too long, and it's very obvious if you have a leak by the crusty white gunk left behind.

Originally Posted By: pzev
G-05 seems to leave scaly [censored] behind...perhaps silicate dropout? Its a good coolant though...pity.

I noticed that also. I changed the hoses and thermostat on my Mercury yesterday and flushed the system. The expansion tank had lots of - for lack of a better word "scaly [censored]" in the bottom. It took a lot of flushing and shaking to get MOST of it out. Next time I'll probably replace the tank if possible.

At 80K miles the inside of the engine looked crystal clean.

32.gif

I bought Motorcraft hoses, figuring they would be a better "fit" and two, I assumed they would be made in the US. WRONG!
On the sticker it states in big bold letters: "Made in Turkey". So much for buying "American."

Edit: Ooops sorry, forgot we couldn't use the "C" word here. Guess I should have said "scaly stuff"!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back