thickest 30 weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
after searching i found gc is about 12.2 cst and the cut off for 30 weight is 12.5cst? is there any thicker 30 weight or is gc the thickest?

Probably the thickest without, say, mixing 50% 5w-30 with 50% 5w-40. The Castrol high mileage oils tend to be pretty thick too. 12.0 I believe for the 5w-30. Probably easier to find and less costly than CG.

Why are you looking for thick oils?

Originally Posted By: hhu168
Originally Posted By: electrolover
i think maxlife is pretty thick too

MaxLife is around 11.5.

found it in the voa section "a whole bunch" 11.8 on the maxlife

also found chevron 300 10/30 is 12.0

im not sure if these are SL or SM specs

Get you some MaxLife 10W-30.
smile.gif

its going in a 190k 94 z28 that gets raced 4 times a month figured with the mileage i would want to run the thickest 30 weight. owners manual says only use only 5w30 or 10w30 so i figured 40 weight would be to thick for my engines clearances.

Originally Posted By: irocurpony
its going in a 190k 94 z28 that gets raced 4 times a month figured with the mileage i would want to run the thickest 30 weight. owners manual says only use only 5w30 or 10w30 so i figured 40 weight would be to thick for my engines clearances.
A 40 weight would be fine in your engine.

you could run a 20/50 if you wanted and not hurt a thing. trust me I'VE had many sbcs at the track. truth be told you dont need any more than a 40 max. i suggest T6 5/40. it will hold up to the heat of higher rpms and is still thinn enough at start up to not need a warm up period, but its a good idea with any oil to get your car up to temp before redlining it

if your spinning it 8k or more you might think about VR1 it doesnt foam at extremely high rpms. but i have a feeling your turning it 6500 max being stock clearances and all

Originally Posted By: electrolover

you could run a 20/50 if you wanted and not hurt a thing. trust me I'VE had many sbcs at the track. truth be told you dont need any more than a 40 max. i suggest T6 5/40. it will hold up to the heat of higher rpms and is still thinn enough at start up to not need a warm up period, but its a good idea with any oil to get your car up to temp before redlining it

if your spinning it 8k or more you might think about VR1 it doesnt foam at extremely high rpms. but i have a feeling your turning it 6500 max being stock clearances and all

yes my internals are 100% stock car runs 12.7 @ 106 with bolt ons just looking for a good protection to keep it healthy until i can afford a new motor

i had great luck with pyb 10/30 SL in my first camaro. it had a mild sbc carburated and ran 8.70 (1/8 mile). i only took it to the track once or twice a month and changed the oil on race day. of coarse it got more and more radical as time went by. ya know how that goes..
so i guess my point is with a mild car you dont need a super duper oil to make a couple passes at the strip. with the miles on your car i might pick a syn or blend like rotella T 10/30 or T6 5/40 which ever makes you more comfortable. im sure you will need to put some thought into your next oil choice, ya know for the engine you plan on building.
lol.gif
when you hit the 500hp mark then i would worry but for now pretty much anything will do. something will break but it wont be because of the oil, racing is a neverending search for the weakest link

Redline 5w30 has the highest HTHS viscosity of any 30-weight that I have seen. Its KV100 of 10.6 makes it look "light" but the HTHS number is what really counts when the oil is running through your bearings.

The manual is irrelevant in your case. What matters is the condition of your engine during the operation when racing. The choice is dynamic. Get pressures at temperatures then you can figure it out. You may want to read my chapters beginning on the home page here.

It may be useful to do the same while driving around town as a different viscosity range may be indicated.

Then road test the oil you chose. Remembering that the "best" oil is not the thickest but rather the most appropriate. It should not be too thin nor too thick.

aehaas

i was looking into a thick 30 weight due to the age of the motor i figured my bearings have to have some wear. As of now on a hot summer day at idle i have about 10psi according to the factory gauge (i kno this is not reliable). I had the car since 140k and since then its been getting pp 5w30 and pure 1 oversize filters. The more i read about T6 im liking it maybe that and a oversize classic filter ill try now. Any idea what kind of oci i should do car will probaly not see 3k in 3 months.

i would drop it a bit while racing but stretch it some when im not. your not going to go to the track in the dead of winter, but in summer you will see it alot. with T6 i would change it once a month during the season and stretch out to 5k or so during off season. i know that seems like alot but assuming you go every weekend and put 5-10 passes on then its actually not that often considering how hard it is on oil.

another thing to worry about, if you use a trans brake or just the old foot brake launch its really hard on tranny fluid. especially with a bigger stall... food for thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back