Napa Proselect vs Pro-Tec Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I have read, both are low-cost filters made by Wix. Has anyone cut both of these apart? If so, are they identical to each other?

Thanks.

I have not cut open the NAPA or Pro-Tec but I have cut open a Parts Master filter which is made by WIX.

It seemed to be made well with metal endcaps and the filter element was straight and held up well.It seemed a little brittle after use but that seems to be normal for a WIX filter.

It had a good number of pleats.

The filter I cut open had the new ADBV/By-Pass valve combo that seems to be made well,probably better than the ST set up.

They are probably good filters.

I just cut open a pro select the other day, and it looks identical to a wix, just not as many pleats. Good quality and no problems mechanically with the filter. I went 3k with val all climate, now I am using Syntec Blend with a Wix filter. New used car for us so I wanted to be safe. The filter could have gone 5000 easy.... For 3.50 you can't go wrong unless you buy a fram.

Media is different on all the ProSelects I've cut open from the equivalent Wix or NAPA Gold. Thinner and much more porous. Don't know about the Pro-Tec.

I cut open a used PRO TEC filter; it was the equivalent to a CHAMP LABS PH 820 filter. It was what looked like wix made, but had "HENCHO EN MEXICO" on it. Very heavy even though I took it off the car. No real problems with the filter that I could see. It did NOT have the AFFINIA/WIX symbol on the filter. I used to get a few PRO TEC filters at a time from a mom and pop parts store across the river from where I live that were made by wix PRO TEC filters and that were MADE IN USA.

just my two cents,

adam

the 3 brand new protecs i cut open last year, equal to an FL-1A was pretty much the worst filter ive ever cut open. it is one of the only 2 i have ever actually been able to see holes (specs of light) when held up to a light. and in case your wondering, cuz i know this forum and i know someone is, i cut open 3 brand new filters cuz they were given to me for free from a friend who got them from his quickie lube job. after seeing the 1st one, i knew the 2nd 2 were as good as trash anyways...

Last edited:
i never cut one open but on youtube, a gentleman cuts a NPS 1515 and it looks very sturdy and solid construction. i have one on my 1991 mercury now

Quote:
.... yeah reading this post makes me want to PUKE.
grin2.gif
JK

Pepto-Bismol-LSS-_i_LBM83646Z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back