Camshaft grease??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm installing a used '01 Z06 cam into my '04 LM4 5.3l GM engine, and am curious what I should use for lube for the cam. I remember there being cam-specific greases at one point, but this is a newer roller-style cam, so would standard red assembly lube be adequate? Thanks!

I am with you...there used to be a specific (and moly-heavy) assembly lube for cams...I have never had a cam fail or underperform....I was always careful on break-in...good lube, pre-oil, and recommended break in RPM...

Now, roller styles may not need it the way flat-tappets did...but it wouldn't hurt...I would spend the couple of bucks and use the good stuff vs. regular lube...but I am known to be conservative...

I would surf the cam manufacturer's sites...see what they recommend for their new roller cams...and follow that recommendation (including lube and procedure).

Why yes, yes it is
smile.gif

Yeah, all in agreement here. We regularly rebuild late model GM V-8's and the newer roller style lifters just need good oil.

X2 on the pre-lube!!!

I'd feel a little better using the red engine assembly lube - would that be fine too, for just my own peice of mine? It's probably going to be a couple months before the engine is actually fired from the time the cam is installed.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Since it's a roller cam you don't want grease. Oil is fine as is the red and kinda tacky assembly lube. STP is gooey and will stay put also.

Agree. I read that grease is not good for roller bearings. It temporarily (until the engine gets hot) plugs the space between the bearings and prevents the oil from lubing the bearings. You can still apply some light moly grease (like Isky cam lube) to the flat surfaces, but keep it away from any needle bearings in the engine. A lot of engine assemblers would soak (submerge) roller rockers, and roller lifters in a pan of oil over night.

V8 + volvo = fun. There's a guy on campus with a Volvo 740 Wagon... with a turbo-ed 302 in it
cool.gif
Best part is, it's quiet, so it's not even that obvious until he gets on it, which typically results in
crazy2.gif
from those that don't know what's in there.

Watch my vid in the "wrenching on the '85 again" thread.

That was a cam and lifter*** swap. We just used Petro-Canada 0w30 to lube the cam up for installation. That engine has ~500lb (open) valve springs.

Might make you feel better, since I assume you are just using the stock springs?

***The lifters were swapped for link-bar style ones. There was nothing wrong with the set of stock roller lifters that came out. The cam grinder had recommended the link-bar ones due to the RPM range the engine will be operating at.****

Ya, I'll be using stock LS6 valvesprings (brand new, should be here next week from GM Parts Direct).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back