Q for a friend: removing paint scuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe "scuff" isn't the right term. A week or so ago, one of my co-workers tapped a green-painted post with her rear fender, and now she has bits of the green paint adhering to her car's paint (a metallic red, if it matters). She asked what she could use to get most of it off, or at least make it less noticeable. Detailing clay? Rubbing compound used with a very light touch, or the Meguiar's Fine-Cut Cleaner? Any suggestions appreciated.

Many options, but safest would be to take it to a detailer.

If she's comfortable doing it her self, then it should buff out fine unless the paint is cracked, which happens sometimes easily with plastic fender covers.

If the car is fairly new I'd take it to a pro, not that expensive usually. But then I dont like messing with paintjobs, especially metallics.

Id go to a good pro if she doesnt know how to DIY already. Too much to loose...

I always try mineral spirits first. Many times paint transfer will come right off. Try Goof Off or Goo Gone, even paint thinner or similar. No need to abrade the paint just to remove transfer.

The remainins scuffs can be removed or lessened by some compound and hand polishing.

Pay a reputable detailer to do that area - shouldn't be too expensive.

But, if you want to try first...

Start with a clay bar. I suggest Clay Magic (the blue bar) - it is a bit more aggressive than Mothers (gold bar) or many specialty bars (Pinnacle, etc.). You can purchase in many auto supply stores. Do a little research on how to use it (such as cut the bar into 3 pieces before using).

If there is anything remaining, follow up with something like ScratchX (by hand).

Regards,
GEWB

No pro detailer needed! Gee, c'mon guys....Just some polishing compound and lightly rub the GREEN paint until it's gone. She should be able to improve the injury 90%. She may have some slight scuffs left, but it will look much better.

Update, all,

She stopped by her regular gas station/mechanic shop, and the guy who usually works on her car took a look and said, "Mineral spirits." With that, he cleaned the green paint right off without harming the red bumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back