Amsoil ATF or Mercon V

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2004 Ford Taurus is ready for another transmission service. I have been doing it every 30K with Valvoline Mercon V and OEM filter. The car has 110,500 on it currently. Should I continue my regiment of $5/quart Valvoline and know that it is Ford approved or should I try the $10/quart Amsoil ATF that is recommended as a replacement for Mercon V. The few published specs for both appear similar but I hate to gamble on a $3,000 transmission.

Also, should I run a few ounces of MMO or other cleaner through it for a few hundred miles before I do the service?

Originally Posted By: 04SE
My 2004 Ford Taurus is ready for another transmission service. I have been doing it every 30K with Valvoline Mercon V and OEM filter. The car has 110,500 on it currently. Should I continue my regiment of $5/quart Valvoline and know that it is Ford approved or should I try the $10/quart Amsoil ATF that is recommended as a replacement for Mercon V. The few published specs for both appear similar but I hate to gamble on a $3,000 transmission.

Also, should I run a few ounces of MMO or other cleaner through it for a few hundred miles before I do the service?

Using Amsoil ATF isn't a gamble. It's been proven over many years. Also, my PC price is $7.91/qt by the case.

I would skip the cleaner, but if you suspect the tranny is dirty and the present conventional fluid is oxidized, I would do a home flush with new conventional (lowest cost fluid), drive that for a week, then flush fill with the synthetic ATF.

I guess I could have phrased that better. My concern is the difference (even though it appears to be minimal) in specs, not the overall quality of Amsoil. I like that Valvoline carries the "Ford approved" label and it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling. I understand that fluids have an "acceptable range" to be approved by the OEM but I just wonder how much variance is acceptable in a transmission and whether the Amsoil ATF falls within this range of acceptability.

Some aspects such as resistance to oxidation, viscosity loss, cold temperature flow to name a few, exceed/are better than the requirements.

I cannot fault you for wanting that warm fuzzy feeling, but I guess I need to ask - what differences in particular are you concerned about?

I personally think its obvious, yes im coming from a very humble perspective here but using the Valvoline every 30K vs a superior product that is Amsoil which you could easily leave in for twice as long...??

I put Amsoil ATF in my Friends F150, before that it always had Ford spec Motorcraft and never did shift particularly well....with the Amsoil, WOW...night & day....that thing shifts and you hardly know it happened...increase in mpg too...to me its a no-brainer.

yes you will pay more, but you will get a longer drain interval which equals less time under your car, you will have a happier, possibly cooler running tranny.

100 thousand plus is good service so far. You have done well with what you have done.
Valvoline states their Mercon V is synthetic. http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/system-fluids/automatic-transmission-fluid/
To be called Mercon V, it must have manufacturer approval. Amsoil seldom has any manufacturer approval. Presumably ATF labeled Mercon V meets Ford approval.

Friction modifiers can differ. ATF friction modified character can vary in amount and in static and dynamic friction. More friction modifier can be smoother but can mean more slipping. Slipping can mean more clutch wear. So smoother is not always better for minimizing wear. There are many emotional, anecdotal claims for many products.

As to the warranty, Amsoil could easily get out of any warranty claim. It specifically excludes failure due to normal wear or pre existing condition. This is easy for Amsoil to state in an older car. See page 2 number 9 and 10 of the warranty top of page. http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1363.pdf

In number 8 to page 2, use of Amsoil with any other not authorized by Amsoil voids warranty. Even a full flush would have some old ATF. Amsoil could claim mixing with old ATF voids warranty.
You would probably have to ship worn out parts to Amsoil to get any warranty paid. See number 4 and 5 on bottom of page 2.

AMSOIL ATF has been on the markert for over 30 yrs. A lot longer then most of its critics have been alive.

I get a laugh at all the "what ifs" people come up with. What if the world comes to and end tomorrow will AMSOIL warranty cover it. LOL

My friend has over 150,000 miles on the AMSOIL ATF in his 2000 Ford SD350. Never has had an issue with the trans or with the 7.3L engine with AMSOIL. I have used it in all my vehicle since 1980 and never once had a issue.

IMO not using AMSOIL ATF is taking a risk.

FM's in Amsoil ATF are fully compliant in transmissions requiring Mercon V. There are many emotional, anecdotal claims about FM's not matching and such, but in reality the FM's in Amsoil ATF do just fine.

Quote:

As to the warranty, Amsoil could easily get out of any warranty claim.

He is also considering Valvoline ATF. Why not mention Valvoline's warranty? I assume they have one in writing.

fyi

atf_spec.jpg

Well, I really had decided to run the Amsoil ATF but then saw that AAP is running a $25 off of a $60 purchase or roughly 42% discount. I bought several things at two different stores and I picked up 15 quarts of Valvoline Mercon V for ~$3 per quart.

Funny thing, the other day I noticed that the Valvoline Mercon V atf changed the front label from full synthetic to just Mercon V. The Valvoline atf + 4 still say's full synthetic. As for mixing transmission fluids that would void the warranty...hog wash and synthetics mix with mineral oil too boot. So Amsoil or Valvoline will be fine, and I don't remember ever seeing a case where the "fluid" caused the transmission issue? Anyone heard of this?

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Funny thing, the other day I noticed that the Valvoline Mercon V atf changed the front label from full synthetic to just Mercon V. The Valvoline atf + 4 still say's full synthetic. As for mixing transmission fluids that would void the warranty...hog wash and synthetics mix with mineral oil too boot. So Amsoil or Valvoline will be fine, and I don't remember ever seeing a case where the "fluid" caused the transmission issue? Anyone heard of this?

Valvoline Mercon V has not carried the "Synthetic" label for probably 2-3 years. It is still the same part number "VV360" and Valvoline states it is a synthetic on their Q&A section.

Your point about the fluid actually causing the transmission issue is my main question. How much variance is acceptable in transmission fluid specs and additive packages? Is there an acceptable range, or is any fluid good fluid? Everybody only gives personal ideas, not enough data/explanation to convince me to stray from the OEM spec'd fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back