What oil in your Mower and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil 4 Stroke... Good stuff, flows well, stays clean very long and seems to allow the engines to run through thicker grass/snow...

PP 10w30 in a honda GCV 190 engine.

Its a snapper I bought new 10 years ago. It came with a Tecumseh 6ph with pressure lubrication. But the cam gear sheared one day this spring 2 seconds after startup. So now it has a honda on it.

You will have the Honda for life... Can't kill those engines... We had one on my old go-cart and the engine was over 30 years old and it had like no compression and burnt oil like crazy, but kept going and going... Eventually it wore out and we replaced it with a B&S.

Formula Shell 30w in a year-old Craftsman with a B&S 6.75 "torque-rated" engine.

It had it's third change before storage :) The deck will surely rust away before the engine siezes.

Mobil 1 10W30 I had a 2 old qts laying around and needed to use it up. It was changed out at the end of the season.

Castrol Syntec 20W-50. I want to run synthetics in this engine due to heat, and anything but the thickest syn oils seem to get consumed quicker than the dino equivalent.

Currently running Rotella 30w in all the lawn equipment, which is all Briggs engines. I have a 3.5 push mower, an older 3.5 tiller, and a 14.5 I/C in the Murray rider. I have a couple gallons of it, should last almost forever.

2 strokes are getting Quaker State 2 cycle oil I got at a rummage sale 2 summers ago.

Shell Rotella T 10W-30. The mower is powered by a 3-cylinder Yanmar diesel and the owner's manual calls for either 5W-30 or 10W-30 meeting API CI-4 or CH-4 or ACEA E3 or E4/E5. I haven't seen any 5W-30 HDEO on this island, which makes sense considering we're as far south as you can get and still be in the USA.

I'm having trouble relating to all the threads on snow-blowers. Ha ha. It's about 70 degrees F. today; but I can see snow up on Mauna Kea down to about the 12,000 foot level.

Think I'll mow the grass. Cheers!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Amsoil ACD. Straight 30wt that flows like a 10w-30, no VIIs, and a HD add pack for protection and cleanliness.

Ditto here. Exemplary oil.

Amsoil ASE in my Honda Masters mower with GXV140.
Amsoil ASE or XD-3 15W40 in my Honda GC160 powered pressure washer.

Both changed annually at the end of the season. Both are stored indoors for the winter (for now - unfinished basements have advantages).

Last edited:
I currently have MC 5000 10w30 in my China Cadet OHV.

I only change annually -- at end of season. I bought the MC on sale. My first change was with Cub Cadet oil bought at the dealer for almost $7/Qt -- only to find out the TSC sold it for $3.99:(.

So many responses in so little time!!!

We must all love our yards!!

I use Mobil 1 5W-30 in the snow blower. I use Mobil 1 5W-30 or 10W-30 in the mower. I use Mobil because that is all I have around. I am also running life tests since I change the spark plugs more than the oil.

Last year I put in a hodge-podge for the fun of it in the 10 year old 17.5HP B&S.

I put it on another thread last summer, not sure now, but it was something like some Maxlife 10-30, some Motorcycle 10-40 & some VSOT...
crazy2.gif
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Last year I put in a hodge-podge for the fun of it in the 10 year old 17.5HP B&S.
I put it on another thread last summer, not sure now, but it was something like some Maxlife 10-30, some Motorcycle 10-40 & some VSOT...
crazy2.gif
LOL.gif

I did that with the B&S in my Cub Cadet push mower a couple years ago. Then it started to bug me so much I drained it out and stuck Rotella T 10-30 in there. Those things are tough and lightly stressed - it probably wouldn't have made a difference.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back