Stihl String Trimmer ???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive heard that Stihl string trimmers are some of the best and longest lasting you can buy. I was wondering what everyones opinion of these are? I only have a small yard to maintain and it only takes me 10-20 minutes to do this. I just returned a Craftsman because it was junk and all of the big box ones are the same junk. I want one to last me 10-15 years.

Stihl or Husqvarna equipment is good stuff.I bought a bolens a few years ago after the first week it would not crank.complete garbage,as are most of the big box brands.

They are world class, eventhough I have an Echo (got a really good deal). I don't know if Shindawa and RedMax are still around, but both are great as well.

A Stihl FS80 or larger is a good investment. You can resell it later and get good money for it. Lots of pro landscapers use them and there is a ready, used market for any of the better Stihl trimmers.

Stihl and Echo are about the same - both really good. I have an Echo trimmer, a Stihl Chainsaw and a Stihl leaf blower. Love all of them. about 5 years now without a problem on any of them.

I've been pleased with the powerhead on my Troy-Bilt which is probably mechanically similar to the Craftsman you returned.

I wish I could say I was as pleased about the trimmer attachment.

I think I'm going to start setting aside a dollar or two a week for a Shindaiwa. I got about 6 years out of my Homelite before the carburetor went belly up. Figure I can get 10 out of this Troy-Bilt now that I've fixed the gear drive.

Either way, when this one dies it'll be replaced by a Stihl, Echo, or Shindaiwa.

The Craftsman was very hard to start and started leaking fuel out of the return line. I only used it twice, for about 15 minutes total run time.

I looked at the stihl web site byt it doesn't directly say if the trimmer is 2 or 4 stroke, are they still two stroke or have they all gone hybrid?

Stihl is quality equipment - I have a Stihl trimmer. 4 years and it's running great...of course, they're made here in Virginia Beach...Husqvarna makes great OPE as well, and my Husky chainsaw is the best I've ever owned. Stihl is like buying a Mercedes...

After buying a Stihl blower 2 years ago, I've vowed never to own any gas equipment except a Stihl from now on when I need to replace my trimmer and perhaps get a saw someday. So well-built.....

My high school aged son runs a small landscaping business (5-7 lawns per week) and purchased a Stihl string trimmer 3 years ago. It has performed flawlessly. As far as I am aware, all Stihl trimmers are 2 cycle. He purchased an extra line spool for quick refills.

From my experience, Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo are three of the top quality brands. You won't go too far wrong with any of them. Look for a trimmer with a straight shaft, not curved.

I have a small yard, I bought a husquvarna straight shaft unit...

Growing up, my parents had various curved-shaft units, the kind that spin the head so long as the engine is on, and then speed up with the throttle. The higher end units like my Husq. have some kind of clutching so they dont spin all the time.

For a small yard with lots of detail trim work, I dont want to have to be spinning up my machine too much. I could do the whole yard fast and easy on the curved units growing up without barely touching the throttle for much of it. Maybe not the best for a 2-stroke engine, but 10 years was never an issue.

So Id look for a good brand, whether stihl, husq., echo, etc., but I'd look for a curved shaft model without the clutching for a small yard application. Id see if I could find a shop that had floor models that you could try.

My Husq. does start like an absolute champ every time, as does my echo leaf blower. Really great in that regard.

There is something to be said for a curve shaft trimmer, I have an old lawnboy one with no clutch either and it is pretty effective for jinking around stuff at a high idle. I also have an 10 or 15 year old stihl FS85 straight shaft trimmer with bicycle bars that I use for big jobs like mowing along fence lines, but its slow going for trimming around the yard.
For a little yard I'd go with a quality curved shaft model. 15 min even 40 times a year isn't many hours.

I bought this Stihl trimmer 2 years ago:
http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS40CE.html

I think this is their least expensive entry level trimmer. Works perfectly fine for my needs... It takes me 5 mins to trim whatever I need trimming in my small yard. Sometimes I use it as an edger, too, even though I don't think it was designed for it. No complaints, but it's my first trimmer, so I can't really compare it to anything else.

Stihl is powering there trimmers with 3 styles of engines. The FS55R is an open port two stroke. The FS56R is a strato charged two stroke design. The FS80R is gone forever... very sad. However the new trimmers handle well, have the same power and use less fuel in an hour under the same load. You won't want one of the 4mix engines for your small home. They have poor throttle control, and too much power to do fine turf art. It's hard to decide between the 55, and the 56, but I would more than likely take the new 56. From my experience Stihl is THE best at how they handle warranty issues compared to toro honda echo and snapper. If you wanted there best, and not a highway/airport runway trimmer, the FS70RC-E is the way to go. Additions to this model include a second piston ring, and a forged connecting rod.
You may even consider Stihls Kombi setup. It comes in all 3 engine flavors as well.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
There is something to be said for a curve shaft trimmer, I have an old lawnboy one with no clutch either and it is pretty effective for jinking around stuff at a high idle. I also have an 10 or 15 year old stihl FS85 straight shaft trimmer with bicycle bars that I use for big jobs like mowing along fence lines, but its slow going for trimming around the yard.
For a little yard I'd go with a quality curved shaft model. 15 min even 40 times a year isn't many hours.

I agree. I have a smaller curved-shaft trimmer also, an Echo GT-200R (current version is the GT-225). It has a centrifugal clutch, which I do like, but the curved-shaft just makes it more maneuverable in my opinion. I've used a ton of curved- and straight-shaft trimmers, and just prefer the curved-shaft ones for their light handling. To the OP, certainly try both before making a decision, and see which feels right to you. Stihl makes both.

Originally Posted By: BigBird57
Yes, go with the Stihl. Use the Amsoil synthetic oil for string trimmers. No carbon issues ever!

If you buy a 6-pack of Stihl Ultra mix oil at the time of purchase you can extend your warranty for 2 additional years.

Stihl Ultra Waranty

Juat checked the standard warranty for trimmers used for household use is 2 years, so a 4 years warranty is hard to beat

Last edited:
I have a 1984 Stihl straight shaft brush cutter/trimmer and an Echo curved shaft trimmer. The Echo sees 90% of the work because it's lighter and much easier to use for grass trimming. If you're not going to be doing anything heavy like cutting brush, a straight shaft isn't necessary.

My choice preference would be between Echo and Stihl with the nod going to whoever gives me the best price on a comparable trimmer.

My last three hand held OPE purchases (Shred N'Vac, chain saw, and trimmer) have all been Echo because I got a better price and I know I'm not giving anything up quality wise.

Originally Posted By: 4Kings
Juat checked the standard warranty for trimmers used for household use is 2 years, so a 4 years warranty is hard to beat

Echo's commsumer warranty is a full 5 years, and no oil is required at the time of purchase.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back