What Makes Synchromesh Fluid Work So Well ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4wheels

Does anyone know how GM Synchromesh compares with another "new" GM fluid for Manual Trans (GM PN 888 61 800 Manual Transmission & Transfer Case Fluid)?

That is apparently Dexron.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
I like MTL so much I am currently using in my '08 Mazdaspeed 3 in place of the really bad cold weather shifting 75w90 oil it came equipped with.

This is clearly a case of a thinner fluid than spec'd but I'll be da mned if I'm going to put up with the famous 1-2 upshift grind that these cars are noted for.

The MTL has cleared all that up nicely and just to hedge my bets I'll probably do a UOA in about 15k miles to see whats happening. I'll be back with the new in about a year! Cheers! DV

I thought you went with the Ford Motorcraft stuff? Did you switch the GM Syncromesh now?

p.s. just a note... the 2010 models now recommend going with a lighter viscosity: 75W80 instead of 75W90 on older models. And I'm pretty sure they're the same tranny (the 10 has different gearing though).

Last edited:
I use redline MTL and MT 90 started with 50/50 but now I am prob closer to 60/40 or 70/30. Redline gives my Toyota perfect cold weather shifting. To date nothing better.

Dave @ Redline told me I could mix MTL and C+ATF 50/50 for my T850 trans. So I dont think the MTL/D4ATF mix that was mentioned above would be a problem either.

What makes GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh (non-FM) work so well at stopping gear clashing is the magnesium-containing Friction Modifier that most people (quite understandably) don't realize that it has. What with it being referred to as "non-friction-modified", and all.

Have you ever seen so much confusion surrounding a gear lube? Uhhh... non-gear-lube? Unique gear lube? GLS gear lube but not for all GLS gear lube applications? Synthetic? Semi-synthetic? Paraffinic?

GM and Pennzoil Synchromesh are exactly the same. Except they are not. Pennzoil has the only license to make the stuff, and GM's is the same stuff in a different bottle. Except that the GM stuff is really made by Exxon-Mobil.

GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh shears severely, by 30+% over a 25k mile run. Except it thickens drastically, due to oxidation during use. Simultaneously, the 2000 ppm of P, 1200 ppm of Zn, and 3500 ppm of Mg all mysteriously disappear after the oil has thickened from 9.08 to 13.1 cSt, leaving exactly 0 ppm of each.

All these things I have heard from people claiming to be in the know. Isn't the Internet wonderful?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back