'04 Buick Rendezvous Transmission ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an '04 Buick Rendevous. Did a change of the FF ATF Dex III at around 68,000 miles or so. I replaced it with 8 quarts of Valvoline Full Synthetic Dex-VI and a GM filter. It ran great after that. Shifts smoother, better MPG's.

Now (at about 88,000 miles) my mother is saying that it feels like it is slipping in lower gears or that it won't shift. Also, is getting worse MPG.

I know this type of car does have a reputation of having problems with the transmission, but I was just wondering, do you guys think that maybe another pan drop and filter change may help? The fluid was really dirty when we did the change and I'm wondering if the new synthetic did a lot of cleaning and maybe needs changed again.

Or do you guys think that we should just take it to the dealer and have them take a look? Only reason haven't taken it to dealer yet is that all our GM dealers around here are horrible and usually takes them 3 times to get anything right.

I haven't got to drive it or take a look at it yet, haven't had time yet, so this is all on what my mother is saying.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.

I think another pan drop and filter change may help, since it only costs about $60-80 to do another ATF change I would do it before taking to dealer if the problem persist.

I would take it to a trans shop.....sounds like you could, and I stress could have a nasty problems.....it may be simple, but if it isn't you don't want to end up making things more expensive from an attempted diy repair

It's too bad that this model was before the 100k mile powertrain warranty. I would suggest checking the fluid level. Now when you replaced the filter was the filter seal installed in the transmission first? You could also check the codes if you have a scanner or go to an auto parts store that pulls codes. Some trans codes will not set off the MIL. One problem these transmission have is with the PCS valve, but they can have other internal issues too. You could try clearing the memory with a scanner or unhooking the battery for awhile to reset the adaptive shift but I don't think that or another fluid change will fix it.

I have this exact same vehicle, same year too with the 3.4L and the 4T65-E transmission. I got it used at 73k and did my first fluid change around 102k. Like you, I used Valvoline Dex VI and got out 7 liters of fluid by just doing a pan drop.

I'm getting ready once the weather warms up to do another fluid refill by pulling the cooler lines and flush a extra 3 quarts of fluid through the system. This time I'm going for a thicker fluid that is closer to Dex III standards. It appears that Mobile 1 ATF and Castrol Import Multi Vehicle are closer to Dex III viscocity than Dex VI. I also want to get all the old fluid out, which some of it (30%) could be original factory fill.

I noticed this winter that between 15 and 5 degrees I sometimes had a delay in the transmission which I never had before the fluid change and I don't seem to have outside of that range of outside temps.

As for you comment about this be a problem transmission, I think most of the problems were with earlier versions of this. By 2004, I think most of the problems had been worked out. Some people used shift kit because of issues.

Oh, BTW this pan has a reusable gasket.

Guess, I didn't completely finish my last thought. I would do a flush and fill and see if it makes a difference. Spending the few hours and less than $100 are far cheaper than the alternatives. Some have complained that Dex VI went in great and caused problems 10 k down the road. Don't know if it is true, but any other repair is probably going to cost more. If you can get someone to look at it cheap than go that route, but if not, there is always a drain and refill and maybe a bottle of lubegard too.

You don't hear too many issues with the GM 4T65E trans. It's one of the hardier ones for the x-over/minivan segment.

With your initial pan drop and filter change, are you sure you got the filter neck installed properly? I'm not positive on the filter setup on the 4T65E, but on some, if the neck/tube isn't seated properly in the valve body it will suck air and cause shifting issues.

Joel

Last edited:
So I finally got to ride in the car and it seems the problem is that it doesn't want to downshift to 3rd from 4th on hills. It will drop down but it hesitates a bit.

I'm going to do a drain and fill and a filter change here soon with the same Dexron VI and see if that will work.

I was trying to do some research about Lubeguard. I had never heard of it before. Do you think adding it may help out at all?

Originally Posted By: radtech91
So I finally got to ride in the car and it seems the problem is that it doesn't want to downshift to 3rd from 4th on hills. It will drop down but it hesitates a bit.

I'm going to do a drain and fill and a filter change here soon with the same Dexron VI and see if that will work.

I was trying to do some research about Lubeguard. I had never heard of it before. Do you think adding it may help out at all?

We've heard many positives and no real complaints about lubegard. Many here have used it and had amazing results. I think it has some cleaners and conditioners that help with sticky valve bodies. You might find it takes care of the issue.

If it is snake oil, it sure has a following, much like MMO and often is used by tranny shops and Saab even recommended it in a TSB.

Originally Posted By: radtech91

Personally I have never seen a drain and fill fix any shifting problem. If the fluid level is correct then it is time to take it to a transmission shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back