For all seafoam skeptics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I finally decided to run some seafoam through my safari van since it was running poorly. I decided on half through the vacuum line and half in the oil, like recommended by seafoam. I am amazed at the results in the oil. The old oil that I added the seafoam to was gtx and it had about 2500mi on it, still with a golden tint. I let it go for about 200 mi and changed the oil. When I pulled the plug, clumps of stuff came out, the drain plug was sludged, and take a look at the pic below at the top of the filter. The paper towel is where I can wipe off the sludge or whatever it is. I've changed the oil every 3k miles in this van since I've had it at 150k and I thought I had it clean. I even cut open the filters and they looked good. What worries me is that it was a fleet vehicle. I'll post more pics of the filter cut open in a little bit.

No doubt I'll be adding seafoam towards the end of this oci as well. Nextgen is in it now.

2011-04-24_16-34-11_539.jpg

What amazed me the first time I used it in the vacuum line was the clouds of smoke out the exhaust. I thought that was the Seafoam burning off, but then the smoke faded even though I was still putting it in. I realized that was all carbon and junk. Wow. I could see the piston tops were shiney clean through the spark plugs holes afterward.

Haha yea, the neighbors working in the flower beds weren't too happy. I just poured in the bottle quickly and left, with smoke filling up the neighborhood behind me. I bet it took about 5 mi for it to stop.

Ok here's the pics of the inside of the filter. I don't know the oc history before 150k but like I said, it was a fleet vehicle. Basically the last 30k miles(180k now), it's had 3k changes. I thought it was good. The last filter I cut open was perfect. Look at the sludge!!

2011-04-24_18-57-53_39.jpg

2011-04-24_18-57-27_690.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much about the prior OCIs-looks like you got a handful of carbonaceous deposits out of there. I would run 1 qt of MMO in ever OC until the filter looks better

Originally Posted By: steve20
I wouldn't worry too much about the prior OCIs-looks like you got a handful of carbonaceous deposits out of there. I would run 1 qt of MMO in ever OC until the filter looks better

Ditto 100%. MMO will gently finish the job.

Well it's too late now. I put some seafoam in with the new oil. I completely forgot about mmo. This would be a great application for it...

Had some to get rid of, it was calling my name. Also, it's one of the choices on their website.

As a pre service cleaner for old oil residue, sticky rings or valve train noise, pour 1 ½ ounces of Sea Foam® Motor Treatment into the engine oil crankcase for EACH quart of oil capacity, including filter. Drive a MINIMUM of 30 minutes/miles, MAXIMUM 100 miles, and then do your oil change service – Lube, Oil & Filter (LOF). This begins the process of safely/slowly re liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered. This also makes your old oil dirtier, quickly, so a LOF service is necessary when the oil gets dirty. Great for Turbocharged & Supercharged applications where oils deteriorate so quickly due to heat, and leave those residues that NEED CLEANING.

As an after service additive into fresh oil, nearly fresh oil, or oil (used condition) that is NOT ready to be changed (based on mileage since last oil change), put the same amount of Sea Foam® Motor Treatment into the crankcase as described above, and then regularly monitor your oil for color and clarity. Set a predetermined schedule for checking the oil condition on a mileage, timed, or event basis (like every time you add fuel, etc.) to determine when an oil service is necessary. Monitoring of the oil for color and clarity will tell you when it is time to do an oil change service. NOTE: Do not exceed 3,000 miles without changing the oil.

Last edited:
I can't help but wonder how much abrasive damage was inflicted on every lubricated surface in the engine before all that 'stuff' reached the filter or during continued oil circulation after the filter went into bypass mode?

Perhaps (?) the engine is now cleaner, but...?

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
I can't help but wonder how much abrasive damage was inflicted on every lubricated surface in the engine before all that 'stuff' reached the filter or during continued oil circulation after the filter went into bypass mode?

Perhaps (?) the engine is now cleaner, but...?
Originally Posted By: Xstang
Originally Posted By: justinf89
I put some seafoam in with the new oil.

Why???

Exactly. Why use Sea Foam for an entire OCI? It's not recommended to do so from what I know(please fill me in if I'm off base), especially in the summer time coming. I wouldn't run more than 1,000 miles with Sea Foam even with a new oil change. Use it at the end of an OCI if you use it and the way the OP describes the gunk coming out of the drain plug SHOULD have prompted the need for a pan drop at least, valve cover pull would've been a bonus.

Obviously, the gunk got to moving, but you should be sure it's all. That is potential problem with using Sea Foam and not dropping the pan, when it's apparent that needs to happen.

It's not about whether it can clean or not, Sea Foam has solvents for this ability, but at what cost? Please use more responsibly is all. Of course, the proposed '1,000 mile limit' is under typical average conditions. I wouldn't sit with Sea Foam in an engine for more than 4 months either, nor while going out of town, etc.

Last edited:
When I seafoamed my Jeep down the TB after I got it (did this at night), it fogged my street in so badly that I couldn't see across the street. I'm sure the neighbors loved it...

Then again, it was so carboned up that it spat carbon out the exhaust if you punched it when I first got it (had been a gently driven DD for a while). Ran much better afterwards.

Originally Posted By: ronrackley
Originally Posted By: steve20

Ditto 100%. MMO will gently finish the job.

Agreed, no harm in finishing up with the Seafoam and making the change to MMO. 150,000 miles of Fleet use is a lot of miles. It would be very hard to determine how clean the engine is. All you can do is move forward, and I think you're on the right track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back