Red Light Camera Violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I was in NYC for the auto show today, on my way out of manhattan, I took a right turn on a yellow light, saw a flash out of the corner of my eye, it may have been a red light camera, not sure.
I have out of state plates(ohio), I was wondering, does the DMV send tickets to out of state plates?
The DMV has a online checking tool to see if you have any tickets associated with your car, anyone familiar with this system and how long it takes for a plate to get into the system?
Thanks for any help!

I got a red light ticket mailed to me from North Carolina. It took about a month from the violation.

Hopefully it was just a tourist taking a pic of your sweet Prizm :)

Last edited:
We had those in houston but they shut them down. Unless they activated them again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down here in the jungle the red light camera does not discrimate..Everybody gets a ticket..It is a 158 dollar fine..No points..If you get a good traffic lawyer [like some here did] you can get it thrown out.

I am totally against those cameras for a number of reasons!

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Down here in the jungle the red light camera does not discrimate..Everybody gets a ticket..It is a 158 dollar fine..No points..If you get a good traffic lawyer [like some here did] you can get it thrown out.

I am totally against those cameras for a number of reasons!

With no point loss, wouldn't it be cheaper to just pay the fine than what a decent lawyer would charge for the appearance - or maybe lawyers who specialize in traffic court are cheaper (we have none here, so no idea on that one).

There are no red light cameras yet either, although we do have a couple that might be speed activated on the highway. 'Might be' because I know I've been 10-15 kmh over the limit when I've passed them on a few occasions (just depends on what speed traffic is going when I approach the camera radar), but never been ticketed. Since both are located in areas of speed related accidents, I suspect they're only used as potential evidence in determining liability when there's an accident (or criminal negligence, if applicable).

-Spyder

Hey Dan55, yep this happened on W34th and west side, not looking forward to this thats for sure!

Originally Posted By: bkbenjy
I got 1 of those here in NYC. It was $50 with no points.

Same here, in Queens.

In most cases, these are civil claims, not misdemeanor offenses, so not paying them causes you no problems, especially if the "violation" happened out of state.
The cameras are usually promoted by contractors, who own and opearate them, giving a piece of the action to the locality with which they contract.
A shady business in every way.

Hey fdcg27, I see you are from Ohio as well, thats where im from. Whats ohio's take on it, is this a moving violation, or is this the same as a parking ticket, im worried my insurance will go up!

I got one last year for stopping over the line on West st and 23st $50 fine no points. I usually fight them and win but this one wasn't worth it They send you the violation with a picture of the vehicle,solid evidence. The speed limit is around 30 that is why the light is so short and in NJ yellow light seem to last a lot longer. Keep your fingers crossed and good luck. No points or problems just pay the ticket Ohio will never know.

Last edited:
I guess you dont have the right to face your accuser? Do you own the car? Not sure how it works if they dont get a pic of the driver and your not the owner.

Didnt know that they take a picture of the driver as well, guess they cover all the bases.

Ohio couldn't care less about a civil violation incurred in New York.
It is not reportable as a moving violation.
In Ohio, at least, a peace officer must make a citation for a traffic offense to be considered a misdemeanor, and reportable as points on your license.
A camera won't cut it.

Pay it fine and forget it. The violation will follow you and when you get picked up for anything again, you will have a bigger problem. Happened to me when I ran a light in IL. I was notified in Florida of my transgression. Most Police forces now have their computers linked together. I talked with a neighbor you was on our police force and he said, If I didn't pay the fine then IL would most likey notify my local police dept and be on record here, and if I get a ticket or stoppped here, it can get a bit messy.

Last edited:
They are sketchy at best. I cannot believe any legitimate judge, civil court or not, would let their citations stand.

My problem was that "in the name of public safety, they were put in place." but then the private contractors started to mess with the duration of the yellow light to maximize profit.

One of the lights here had a .7 second yellow light. That's 7/10ths of one second. Not safer. More dangerous. All for few bucks.

The city made them fix the duration but the private contractor insists that it was "an honest mistake". Right.

They still have them all messed up. The lights are timed perfectly on one stretch so that I can catch every light except for the camera redlight one. It goes to yellow as I'm approaching consistantly.

Well answer this question..

Does the US Mail 100% reliably every single day of the year without failure, deliver the mail to the address it is supposed to go, AND does the US Mail ever lose/misplace mail?

That answer.. is your excuse in court. You simply and merely created doubt. You are innocent until proven guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt.

So if you never received the ticket and didn't pay it.. when registration time comes you'll find out you have a ticket. You goto court and say.. I never received a ticket.

IF you pay for it.. you admit guilt.

$465 fine here. They are getting rid of them saying they are unconstitutional. If your accused of doing something you are allowed to ask the accuser questions in court. Cant ask the camera anything.

Guy I know got 2 tickets in the same day! He was ticketed $465 for each violation for going a few inches past the limit line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back