Restore oil additive - beware

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only say empirically that the restore was the problem. I poured it in from a cold can into a cold engine and and only ran the engine for about a minute. The next morning it stalled when I drove it about 75 yards. My theory is that the screen on the VTC got clogged and only after driving it 15 miles did the hot oil remove what ever it was in the Restore that clogged the small screens. Well, I guess one would say if you use Restore always add it with the oil change. I added it 2 days after the change on a cold engine,from a cold can in a cold garage. But, the CRV runs fine now and I'm going to leave the Restore and the Mobil 1 in it for awhile. However, no more Restore for me. Thanks for all the replies. This is a interesting site with a lot of passionate oil gurus.

Changed the thread subject back to original.

I never tried restore oil additive, I probably never will. The one oil additive I tried and using now is VSOT(Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment) I bought from Pep Boys 3-4 years ago. The transmission additive I'm using is Lubegard Red, the fuel additive is Techron.

A lot of 1987-1990 Legend owners add Restore to quiet the noisy valve train that seems to plague high mileage C27A engines.

I used an HDEO instead. It took a long time, but it worked for me.

Originally Posted By: rockycow
My theory is that the screen on the VTC got clogged and only after driving it 15 miles did the hot oil remove what ever it was in the Restore that clogged the small screens.

FWIW, Restore passes through the oil filter media...seriously doubt a "screen" could even begin to catch it...

[censored]! I just bought some cans of the stuff for my VW Passat and old motorbikes-would it be OK in my 40 year old side valve lawn mower?

I have used Restore in the past and never had a problem with it.

My car burned less oil and had more power.

It is for fixing compression issues.

However I agree that possibly the particles in it might have messed with the complicated valvetrain.

I thought I have read on here that overly thick oil can do the same thing.

It probably would have been a good idea to put it in a warm/hot engine and drive it a while to work it into the bad areas of the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Originally Posted By: ZZman

Don't you mean it's for TEMPORARILY fixing compression issues?

Sure, in the sense that you have to continue to add it each OC if you want the results it produces (as those who've tried it say it does - no 1st hand experience with it here) to continue. If you're aware of that upfront and fine with the idea of doing so, then the "temporary fix" (if it works) isn't really so temporary as long as you continue to add it to each OC.

Oil is pretty temporary too, since at least most of us change it at or near OEM intervals that are about on par with how often you'd have to keep adding Restore. If the fix works I don't see a problem with it. Its not like its makers hide the fact that you have to continue adding it to each OC if you want to continue seeing its benefits. But hey, you have to change your oil now and then too if its going to keep doing what its supposed to effectively, yet nobody has ever thought to point out that oil only temporarily lubes the engine
wink.gif

-Spyder

In old engines with scored cylinders Restore works in many cases. It must be added at each OCI. Think of it this way, Restore is used in place of an equal amount of oil. Which as Spyder said is a temporary thing since oil has to be changed at some point. All Restore does is buy time, so yes it is temporary in that sense. An engine smoking from worn rings and scored cylinders needs major repair work. Many times a product like Restore is just the ticket to buy someone enough time to either get the proper repair work done, or get another vehicle. Or in the case of some people they just keep driving and adding it because they can't afford the repairs or a car. In those cases it saves them some oil between changes.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

In old engines with scored cylinders Restore works in many cases. It must be added at each OCI. Think of it this way, Restore is used in place of an equal amount of oil. Which as Spyder said is a temporary thing since oil has to be changed at some point. All Restore does is buy time, so yes it is temporary in that sense. An engine smoking from worn rings and scored cylinders needs major repair work. Many times a product like Restore is just the ticket to buy someone enough time to either get the proper repair work done, or get another vehicle. Or in the case of some people they just keep driving and adding it because they can't afford the repairs or a car. In those cases it saves them some oil between changes.

Well said and I have used it in that instance. My clunker was burning a quart a week and Restore cut that consumption by more than half. The car ran better, smoked less, and used less oil. For me at that time it was a lifesaver. I would not use it under any other circumstances.

Well said and I have used it in that instance. My clunker was burning a quart a week and Restore cut that consumption by more than half. The car ran better, smoked less, and used less oil. For me at that time it was a lifesaver. I would not use it under any other circumstances.

I had the exact same problem, and Restore helped.

Originally Posted By: steve20
tried RESTORE in a 1982 Briggs which burned about 1 quart per 1 hour of use. Saw no difference in oil consumption
Steve

I didn't know that Briggs even made mosquito foggers!

My girl has an 02 civic I put restore in her motor and it perked it right up, I drained it out about 3000,miles later cause when I added it it was nearing the end of the oil interval, didn't hurt her car one bit, when I changed the oil, I but castrols black bottle mix in won't change it again for probably 8-9 thousand, it has 142 on the Speedo, and showing no signs of death, the car done paid for itself 2over

This additive works great for lawnmowers, it's called sea-foam, use it religiously, startron you can get at napa works good too, and mmo, can't go wrong with it neither, restore is a bit too thick for my taste buds I think but if it works for you than great

Another little trick I've used was adding just a tiny bit of 2cycle oil in with the gas to add extra "lubriciticy"to the older rings, I would recommend getting a bottle of sthiels Orange bottle mix, because of the Moly's and the addy pack they put in their mix,works well @lso DONT DUMP THE WHOLE BOTTLE IN,just use a tiny bit like up to an ounce or just a little less

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back