Bosch DP vs Delco/Hengst Ecotec filter - pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. Thought I'd share some pics after buying my first Bosch Distance Plus cartridge filter for my wife's Ecotec motor.

I've been buying Purolator PureOne and the Delco/Hengst filters back and forth and not overly pleased with the quality of either but this Bosch filter looks very promising. The plastic cage looks very well constructed and the filter media doesn't look like a skinny kid on a football field. Also like the contains they come in.

On the left is a Delco/Hengst I still had around and on the right is the Bosch DP. 2nd last is Delco, last is Bosch media closeup.

Thoughts?

DSCN0625.jpg

DSCN0627.jpg

DSCN0628.jpg

DSCN0629.jpg

DSCN0630.jpg

DSCN0631.jpg

DSCN0632.jpg

It looks like a nice filter. Nice thick media. But is it worth the $13+ when not on sale?

Call me crazy but I would say that bosch filter IS a Purolator pure one with a different box. I have the pureone cartridge filter in front of me as I type this and it looks EXACTLY like that bosch. The red o-rings, The center tube peice, even the casting marks on the bottom of the filter are identical. I thought I heard some where purolator makes most of bosch's filters....

They both look good, however if there was an appreciable difference in overall filter media by square inch or foot, I would go with the larger one. Of course, you would have to take the filters apart to determine that.

Originally Posted By: BGK
They both look good, however if there was an appreciable difference in overall filter media by square inch or foot, I would go with the larger one. Of course, you would have to take the filters apart to determine that.

Don't need to dissect the filter. With a cartridge filter you can calculate it and get real close. Measure the number of pleats, the depth of the pleats and the width of the pleats and make the area calculation from those measurements.

The ACDelco looks to have more pleats, but maybe they are not as deep as the Bosch. Only measurements will tell the whole story.

This is the PL15436 equivalent right? I have them in Classic and P1 form. Cages identical, but I like the thicker looking media in the D+.

If I were putting them in my personal car (I'm not) I would go with the D+ just to give me the warm fuzzies! :) I really don't care about retail prices on stuff cuz I never pay that for much anyways. I just like to get whatever I think is best and makes me happy!

I've got D+ filter in the qeue for my wife's MKX. Either that, an M1, or RP filter will be the next to go in her car. I don't run the oil long, usually less than 4-5k miles, and use full synthetics. I know I could probably get the SAME protection with cheap junk and $2 filters, but this has become a hobby so dangitalltoheck, I'm going to do what I want, and I'm gunna enjoy it!

Enjoy your D+!! Many happy miles to you!

Number of pleats, depth of pleats, material of pleats, folds of pleats, color of pleats.
Realistically, does it really matter?

I'm sure they'll both filter the oil in your engine more than adequately.

Originally Posted By: bigbird_1
Number of pleats, depth of pleats, material of pleats, folds of pleats, color of pleats.

Only to a true BITOG fanatic.
wink.gif

I always used the AC Delco/Hengst when I had an Ecotec. They made the container it fits into, and always seemed to have the best quality filter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: bigbird_1

Only to a true BITOG fanatic.
wink.gif

Sometimes, I have to opt for sanity.
happy2.gif

Sure even a P1 would be 'as thick'? I was under the impression that the BD+ were P1s/Bosch Premiums on steroids or something. Denser media etc.

Wait a minute! Since when has a Bosch DP been using plastic center cages with big gaping holes?
BOSCH site indicates the DP uses a metal tube.

Those big gaping holes allow pieces of filter media into your engine!

Search BITOG and you'll read discussion upon discussion about it with photos of holes in the media, the filter media which is not supported by this cheaper plastic cage. NO THANKS!

Do you realize this is a cartridge filter? I have never seen a cartridge filter with a metal center tube.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Do you realize this is a cartridge filter? I have never seen a cartridge filter with a metal center tube.

It sounds more like a joke...at least you'd hope.
whistle.gif

My mistake. I thought it was the filter with the can removed.
But would it matter?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2212301

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1858026

Pic of eCore with a hole in the filter media - look at that nasty looking plastic cage which supports nothing.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1535566

eCore experience - oil starvation
http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=353608&page=1
Quote:
It was the same part number we've known and trusted for years. So we did a oil change on the car this spring with the new filter. We had driven it for a good portion of the day, some of it at WOT for a few seconds, when suddenly the idle dropped to about 500 rpm, and then the motor shut down. We tried to restart it, but now it had a rapping sound coming from the #7 cylinder. We pulled the valve covers off, but everything was fine there. We trailered the car home and took the oil pan off. Things were looking OK until we got to the #7 & #8 rod bearing caps. Both caps were blackened. We pulled the motor from the car and disassembled it. The rod bearings were roasted. The main bearings were junk too. Bearing material was all over in the bottom of the oil pan. It looked like a classic oil starvation event. We then inspected the filter. It looked a little strange. The filter media was coming out of the oil exit hole. We turned it upside down to drain it, and found that the new Ecore had collapsed inside, allowing the filter media to come loose and plug the oulet.

I don't know about you, but I would want a center core in the oil filters used on my engine to support the filter media - not have the filter media BE THE SUPPORT!

Those plastic cages - though it may cost less for the manufacutrer and you - look scary. And I wouldn't care who made it.

Last edited:
For my Saturn that takes a cartridge filter, I am going to use the K & N application on my next oil change. Should be quite a bit better quality than everything I have tried in the past (including Hegst, Wix or Fram) So far, the Fram has from a visual perspective been the worst.

Originally Posted By: Will
Thought I'd share some pics after buying my first Bosch Distance Plus cartridge filter

I have been searching for the Bosch DP filters for a while but I was told by Bosch Canada that they were not available in Canada....maybe sometime in the summer. Where did you obtain your Bosch DP filter?

Last edited:
I ordered from RockAuto. I couldn't find any locally either so it was the easiest thing to do. Ordered a oouple to make it cost effective.

When I remove the filter in a few months, I'll take some pics to see how it looks and whether it twists itself apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back