Lubro Moly Oil Saver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see what you mean. No problem at all using Motor Oil Saver for top ups like that.
thumbsup2.gif

I made a habit of using it at every oil change in my Grand Marquis, along with MoS2. When I bought the car last year, it was burning oil through the valve seals and it was also leaking from the valve covers and the o-ring at the oil cooler adapter by the oil filter. Now it doesn't leak or burn any oil, and oil consumption over the course of the last oil change (6,400 miles) was less than 200 ml.
thumbsup2.gif

I use some oil and leak a bit in my Aerostar. After trying 5W20, 5W30, and now 5W40 I found I use the least amount of oil running 5W20. I'm currently using 5W40 and will probably have to add some oil in about another 500 miles, which would put me 2000 miles into the OCI. I have a bottle of the Oil Saver sitting in my stash and I'd like to give it a try. I have a feeling my valve seals, are part of the issue, as well as a leaking gasket. It's certainly worth a shot!

At 197,000 miles I'm not putting any major money into this rig, when it dies it goes to junkyard and gets replaced. My goal is 200,000 miles and a 4x4 for next winter to replace it with. But I've said that before. LOL Thanks!

Thinking about going by NAPA and getting a bottle of this stuff.
My 2002 Ford Taurus has a leak that is annoying me. It is from the timing chain cover and it leaks onto the heat shield of the catalytic converter. You smell burning oil if you sit at stop lights too long.

Although I am positive that the Maxlife HM oil that I picked up will help. I am thinking about adding this 1/2 way through the OCI, or sooner, if the Maxlife alone doesn't clean up the leak by then.

What do yall think?

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Thinking about going by NAPA and getting a bottle of this stuff.
My 2002 Ford Taurus has a leak that is annoying me. It is from the timing chain cover and it leaks onto the heat shield of the catalytic converter. You smell burning oil if you sit at stop lights too long.

Although I am positive that the Maxlife HM oil that I picked up will help. I am thinking about adding this 1/2 way through the OCI, or sooner, if the Maxlife alone doesn't clean up the leak by then.

What do yall think?

For only a little more than the price of one of those MaxLife quarts, it's worth a shot.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I made a habit of using it at every oil change in my Grand Marquis, along with MoS2. When I bought the car last year, it was burning oil through the valve seals and it was also leaking from the valve covers and the o-ring at the oil cooler adapter by the oil filter. Now it doesn't leak or burn any oil, and oil consumption over the course of the last oil change (6,400 miles) was less than 200 ml. thumbsup

It sounds like you are happy with this product, I would keep using it. JMO

Think I will use it on my almost 200,000 mile BMW. I have an oil pan leak that is irritating but not serious. I recently changed to Valvoline 20w50 HM oil and added MOs2. I think the Valvoline HM will reduce my leak a bit as it is supposed to swell seals-I think.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I use some oil and leak a bit in my Aerostar. After trying 5W20, 5W30, and now 5W40 I found I use the least amount of oil running 5W20. I'm currently using 5W40 and will probably have to add some oil in about another 500 miles, which would put me 2000 miles into the OCI. I have a bottle of the Oil Saver sitting in my stash and I'd like to give it a try. I have a feeling my valve seals, are part of the issue, as well as a leaking gasket. It's certainly worth a shot!

At 197,000 miles I'm not putting any major money into this rig, when it dies it goes to junkyard and gets replaced. My goal is 200,000 miles and a 4x4 for next winter to replace it with. But I've said that before. LOL Thanks!

Definitely is, keep us updated!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: PontiacFan
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I made a habit of using it at every oil change in my Grand Marquis, along with MoS2. When I bought the car last year, it was burning oil through the valve seals and it was also leaking from the valve covers and the o-ring at the oil cooler adapter by the oil filter. Now it doesn't leak or burn any oil, and oil consumption over the course of the last oil change (6,400 miles) was less than 200 ml. thumbsup

It sounds like you are happy with this product, I would keep using it. JMO

Definitely, it's worked wonders. I have yet to come across another product that delivers the same results, especially for the moderate price of $5 a can!

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I wonder how "Oil Saver" would effect an extended OCI compared to MoS2? Shorten, lengthen, nothing?

No affect, just dump it in and go about your regular oil change.

Originally Posted By: Russell
Think I will use it on my almost 200,000 mile BMW. I have an oil pan leak that is irritating but not serious. I recently changed to Valvoline 20w50 HM oil and added MOs2. I think the Valvoline HM will reduce my leak a bit as it is supposed to swell seals-I think.

It is worth a try. The sealing affect depends greatly on the seal material, but it has resolved an issue my neighbor had with his a leaking crank seal on his '99 540i.

My Aerostar should be ready for about an 8 ounce top up tomorrow. I'll have about 3000 miles to go for this OCI. If I need oil I'll add it tomorrow!

LM's Oil Saver sounds like a good product but if it swells seals does that mean that seal life (particularly the ones that are still good) will be shortened?

^That's a great question. I think there is no one size fits all answer, but I'm sure others more qualified may chime in.

Originally Posted By: Viranga
LM's Oil Saver sounds like a good product but if it swells seals does that mean that seal life (particularly the ones that are still good) will be shortened?

No it doesn't mean that at all. As seals age they can start to shrink slightly and become brittle. Esters soften them, and the "swelling" that occurs is just a reversing of the slight shrinking that occurs as they age.

Its not going to shorten seal life - good or bad. The opposite: the esters keep already "good" seals good (by keeping them soft), while helping more marginal seals at the same time.

Its not a trade off type thing. And to the obvious "why doesn't all oil contain this stuff" question, its to do with cost and oil bottlers saving money by not adding things not "needed."

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Originally Posted By: Viranga

No it doesn't mean that at all. As seals age they can start to shrink slightly and become brittle. Esters soften them, and the "swelling" that occurs is just a reversing of the slight shrinking that occurs as they age.

Its not going to shorten seal life - good or bad. The opposite: the esters keep already "good" seals good (by keeping them soft), while helping more marginal seals at the same time.

Its not a trade off type thing. And to the obvious "why doesn't all oil contain this stuff" question, its to do with cost and oil bottlers saving money by not adding things not "needed."

-Spyder

I can see some of your points and agree on the basic premise, but overkill on esters in perhaps an engine that only ran on conventional for years, when synthetics were becoming more and more popular, created that hysteria over 'synthetic made my engine leak/lose oil'.

Is that true? Over-swelling of seals? Myth, coincidence?

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

I can see some of your points and agree on the basic premise, but overkill on esters in perhaps an engine that only ran on conventional for years, when synthetics were becoming more and more popular, created that hysteria over 'synthetic made my engine leak/lose oil'.

Is that true? Over-swelling of seals? Myth, coincidence?

No, different issue entirely. Older engines that were switched to the early synthetics sometimes developed leaks, but it had nothing to do with the ester based seal swelling agents found in a product like this (or an HM oil).

It had to do, instead, with those synthetic oils penetrating and removing deposits that had formed over 10s of thousands of miles, around the seals and which were keeping already marginal seals from leaking. As the deposits were removed over time by the oil, the weak seals began leaking. That led to a lot of fuss about synthetics 'causing leaks' and (more inaccurately) eating seals.

Synthetics have changed since then, although the myths around them still persistent, with many older car owners wary of switching to synthetic lest their engines suddenly leak like sieves.

These esters, or seal swelling agents, are not going to harm seals - whether new or old, bad or good. It may not work any miracles (depends on the exact cause of the problem and just how bad it is - if in doubt trying it is the best way to find out), but it won't do any harm either.

It seems to be a particularly good product for those who wish to continue using whichever type of oil they're using now (whether dino or syn) but who would also - for whichever reason - like a dosing of the type of esters found in HM oils as well, without making the switch. Or as has already been mentioned, for those already using an HM oil and still wanting some of the extra goodness in this stuff.

That is my take on it anyway.

-Spyder

^Generally, that was what I surmised as well.

Any difference in group V base oils and oils with ester in the form of additives?

For instance, this particular product; LM's "Oil Saver"? I'd imagine the vast majority of HM oils include esters as an additive, are there known products with one kind of ester or another.

I suppose in other words: Is there a preferred product for it's dosage of ester/form etc compared to another? When in doubt...throw in a can of this stuff?
grin2.gif

Here's what I'm wrestling with. I can add a bottle of the oil saver as I'm down about half a pint of oil at the moment and 2000 miles into the OCI. My OCD is telling me this product is thick, I mean real thick. That normally wouldn't bother me but I'm running M1 5W40 TDT vs the recommended 5W30 or 5W20 [back spec Ford engine]. Do I wait until Julym my next OCI and add it, or just go for it now? LOL Such tough decisions. Let me know.

If you are worried about thickness, I'd say wait and add it to your 'normally' specified grade of engine oil. That way, you can possibly see it's benefits over the course of an entire OCI.

I asked the questions about viscosity to the R&D Manager at Liqui-Moly some time ago. Motor Oil Saver is viscous, but not as thick as something like STP Smoke Stop.

When added to motor oil, it will thicken the oil by half. E.g. if the oil is 9 cSt at 100 C, it will be 13.5 cSt after Motor Oil Saver has been added. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back